HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:51 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segdohbird View Post
Had to change my main frame out and after I did that the Aiel servos on the right side goes to full up when the throttle is applied. I cannot figure out whay this is happening. I change nothing in the transmitter. Everything is working as should, left aeil goes left, right aeil goes right (looking from the tail) forward and back pitch OK. But as soon as I apply throttle and try to take off the bird just want to go left and I do not have enough stick to correct.
Blade tracking seem to be good pitch curve and throttle curve are pretty much standard.
Anyone have any suggestions ???? I can take a video and post it, if you think that would help.
Vibrations could mess with your RX, and that upsets the stabilization system, which makes the servo go up.
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
sbstnp could you help me out a little regarding xp7a setup with blheli version 8.0

I do not understand the pdf showing the throttle setup. Could you tell me exactly what to do step by step? I can either ask you or read a 100 pages to find out. Right now the heli will turn on sometimes, I do not know exactly what I do to make the blades finally spin. I try throttle hold off on off on, doesnt do anything. I try to turn radio on first then heli and then heli then radio. I am also unsure of my throttle curve settings. I find so much info for the mcpx but little for the minicp on blheli. I have the signal coming from the back fet. Dylan also has this xp7a setup the same as his mini with dragon c05.

Please help!

I figured out how to get the blades spinning, all I have to do is turn the radio on at 0 throttle, then the heli. Then after the heli blinks and goes solid red then I move the throttle a tiny bit, maybe to 4. I then lower the throttle back to 0, then I can fly the heli. My throttle curve is 0-inh-inh-100-inh-inh-100 Also, the esc never beeps. I cannot get it to beep at all!
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Last edited by mescalinedream; Nov 05, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:16 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
sbstnp could you help me out a little regarding xp7a setup with blheli version 8.0

I do not understand the pdf showing the throttle setup. Could you tell me exactly what to do step by step? I can either ask you or read a 100 pages to find out. Right now the heli will turn on sometimes, I do not know exactly what I do to make the blades finally spin. I try throttle hold off on off on, doesnt do anything. I try to turn radio on first then heli and then heli then radio. I am also unsure of my throttle curve settings. I find so much info for the mcpx but little for the minicp on blheli. I have the signal coming from the back fet. Dylan also has this xp7a setup the same as his mini with dragon c05.

Please help!

I figured out how to get the blades spinning, all I have to do is turn the radio on at 0 throttle, then the heli. Then after the heli blinks and goes solid red then I move the throttle a tiny bit, maybe to 4. I then lower the throttle back to 0, then I can fly the heli. My throttle curve is 0-inh-inh-100-inh-inh-100 Also, the esc never beeps. I cannot get it to beep at all!
First, the ESC doesn't beep, the motor does. ESC only commands the beeps.

Proper start procedure is like this:

1. Bind with the TX
2. Arm the ESC: throttle above zero -> beep, throttle to zero, another beep
3. Good to go.

Each time you plug a battery in, you need to re-arm the ESC. There is a setting which could make you re-arm every time the motor is shut down, but is think it's disabled by default.

Throttle curve, this is a delicate matter because BLHeli is slow with adjusting throttle, so a linear curve is bad. A flat throttle curve is better, or a V shaped one if you find your tail blows out. This is how I have it, running with the stock 6mm tail motor:

1. Normal mode (c05m caps at around 65):
0 20 40 60 60 60

2. Idle up 1 (V shape for torque pre comp):
100 inh inh 80 inh inh 100

3. Idle up 2:
100 inh inh 80 inh inh 100

Flat 100 throttle curve makes the tail blow out, V shape helps with torque pre compensation.

Now, while my THR curves are indentical in IU1 and IU2, my pitch curves are not"
1. IU1 pitch curve:
-20 inh inh 0 inh inh 55

2. IU2 pitch curve:
-60 inh inh 0 inh inh 60

IU1 for flying around, IU2 for 3d. I have my pitch travel adjust at 100%, that's why my pitch curves cap at 60, per manual. Actually I can go above 60 without binding, but then the motors bogs when doing flips and such, plus my lipos are on their way out.

I hope I helped.

PS: now my settings are basically the same but I run Deviation on my Devo 10.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:40 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Makes perfect sense! Thanks but my motor does not beep! I hear no beeps!

Can you tell me why you dont fly in normal mode? I ask this since you had said IU1 for flying around. I also could not tell if the heli was running governed. I thought that I had read that governor mode only comes on when throttle curve was lower then 80?
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:05 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Makes perfect sense! Thanks but my motor does not beep! I hear no beeps!

Can you tell me why you dont fly in normal mode? I ask this since you had said IU1 for flying around. I also could not tell if the heli was running governed. I thought that I had read that governor mode only comes on when throttle curve was lower then 80?
I only use normal for spool up then switch to IU1 or IU2. On landing after touching ground I flip throttle hold usually. It's personal preference mostly and because I fly in my back yard sometimes I need some negative pitch too hence my IU1 settings.

The governor is active above 20% throttle, With my curves I basically run TX governed. This can be changed by configuring the ESC with a flashing stick or by TX (which I hate). Governed modes are:

1. TX: throttle curve commands the governor, therefore a flat or almost flat curve is required.
2. Arm mode: arming the esc by going from zero->75->zero would set governor at 75% throttle.
3. Full governed mode: parameted stored in the ESC's flash memory, default is 71% for 11500kv motor with 8t pinion, around 4800 rpm.

The beauty of BLHeli is you can set it up like you want
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
OMG BLHELI IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

I just put in your settings for normal only and I am blown away. No bog at all, no hesitation. I still dont get any beeps. I am probably going to buy a blheli stick from Dylan. I really want to find out how much power I can get from my rewind but unsure how to do it. What should I set normal throttle curve at and what should I arm it to in order to get the most rpms? And thanks so much for your help. You are spot on with how you word things. I am trying to read up over at helifreak but some of what they are saying is way over my head. Any idea why I am not getting beeps? I plug in the heli then then the radio and wait for the bind, it binds in silence. I then raise the throttle to whatever and back down..silence. Then I fly.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:38 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,116 Posts
Quote:
OMG BLHELI IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

I just put in your settings for normal only and I am blown away. No bog at all, no hesitation. I still dont get any beeps. I am probably going to buy a blheli stick from Dylan. I really want to find out how much power I can get from my rewind but unsure how to do it. What should I set normal throttle curve at and what should I arm it to in order to get the most rpms? And thanks so much for your help. You are spot on with how you word things. I am trying to read up over at helifreak but some of what they are saying is way over my head. Any idea why I am not getting beeps? I plug in the heli then then the radio and wait for the bind, it binds in silence. I then raise the throttle to whatever and back down..silence. Then I fly.
With your rewound motor I wouldn't know, you'll have to experiment. With my normal 11500kv c05m, 65 throttle caps it out, anything above that is just saying 'hey I'm at my max speed'. I went with an 8t pinion because this normal c05m bogs with a 9t and is too mellow with a 7t.

I would start with a 50 flat curve in IU1 then go up until I feel it doesn't get any better. Or tie it down to a scale and measure the thrust. This could be measurable and pretty accurate. I don't do it cause I don't have a scale this small except a kitchen one with a round glass plate.

About the beeps, I think in version 7 or 8 BLHeli had introduced a new parameter controlling the beep strength, I have mine around 200 and it's audible. Downside is you need a flashing stick to change it, or an Arduino.

Flashing stick can be had from HK at around $9, but they are out of stock atm. Since you live in the US, buying it from Dylan makes sense.

I also keep my eyes on this looks like a nice motor to have and has a very nice price.
Last edited by sbstnp; Nov 06, 2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Spelling and typos.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:49 AM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
Vibrations could mess with your RX, and that upsets the stabilization system, which makes the servo go up.
I did put new blades on without checking the balance. So that could be the problem, unless it's a bent shaft. I'll check it out, thanks for the direction. I'll post what I find.
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:20 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Quote:
I did put new blades on without checking the balance. So that could be the problem, unless it's a bent shaft. I'll check it out, thanks for the direction. I'll post what I find.
OK i checked it out. I did not have a bent shaft and the blades were new and tracking good.I loosened the three attaching screws on the rcvr/gyro board and that took care of the problem. Still not sure where the vibration is originating but with the board a little loose the transfer of viberation is negligable.No more servo whackiness. I don't think the three small attaching screws are long enough to accomodate any anti vibration material between the board and the frame, so guess I'll just leave them a little loose. Unless anyone has another theory or fix.
P.S. this has a brushless co5 motor(wow-hobbies) and stock tail.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,917 Posts
Maybe the problem you're describing is due to bad/cracked PWB solder joint, not vibration?

Nevermind, I wouldn't expect a cracked solder joint to open and close depending on Throttle/Pitch position.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Nov 06, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:57 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
983 Posts
Quote:
OK i checked it out. I did not have a bent shaft and the blades were new and tracking good.I loosened the three attaching screws on the rcvr/gyro board and that took care of the problem. Still not sure where the vibration is originating but with the board a little loose the transfer of viberation is negligable.No more servo whackiness. I don't think the three small attaching screws are long enough to accomodate any anti vibration material between the board and the frame, so guess I'll just leave them a little loose. Unless anyone has another theory or fix.
P.S. this has a brushless co5 motor(wow-hobbies) and stock tail.
To rule out bad gears on your servo which can cause servo jump, set your throttle hold/TH pitch curve to your stunt mode pitch curve & switch to TH & work your servos through all possible positions.
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:58 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
To rule out bad gears on your servo which can cause servo jump, set your throttle hold/TH pitch curve to your stunt mode pitch curve & switch to TH & work your servos through all possible positions.
That would mke sense if the servo was jumpy, but what it's doing is as soon as I give pretty much full throttle (looking from tail) the right servo rises and the left servo falls. Then when I throttle down everything goes back to level swash. But when the rx is not tightened down with the three mounting screws (putting them a little loose) everything is good. Level swash throughout the throttle range.
But what do I know...
Last edited by segdohbird; Nov 07, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:03 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
983 Posts
Quote:
That would mke sense if the servo was jumpy, but what it's doing is as soon as I give pretty much full throttle (looking from tail) the right servo rises and the left servo falls. Then when I throttle down everything goes back to level swash. But when the rx is not tightened down with the three mounting screws (putting them a little loose) everything is good. Level swash throughout the throttle range.
But what do I know...
That's strange. What I would try next is to just swipe/turn the ele/aile gyro pot on the receiver, to make sure it's got good contact & put it back close to were it was.
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:07 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
That's strange. What I would try next is to just swipe/turn the ele/aile gyro pot on the receiver, to make sure it's got good contact & put it back close to were it was.
Yea,I've already done that,several times. Just makes the servo movement less or more, depending where its set.11 o'clock gyro is very aggressive in servo movement. 1 o'clock very little correction.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
If one raises and one falls then check and make sure your servo's arent reversed Have you removed the the servo that falls and checked the little teeth on all of the gears? Its hard to check the teeth under the gear that moves the servo arm. Those broke on mine. To have them go in reverse is odd. Maybe the wires to your servo is cut and touching something. My heli was acting strange and I had found a tiny piece of solder touching two pins on a microchip on the RX

Oops sorry about asking if the servo was reversed, I just read that everything gets fixed when you loosened up the 3 screws on the rx. I would then look at the servo wires at the plugs, one of my servos had a wire break right at the plug. Also check your servo wires to see if maybe one has a cut exposing the wires inside and is resting on the back of the rx creating a short. When you loosen the screws you are pulling the rx away from the wire? Its possible. Its also possible that the rx has a crack on the board like my original had done. My Rx would only turn on if I pulled the RX forward from the top. That sometimes happens in crashes. I am going to glue a carbon rod from the top servo mount to the back of the rx. I just will make sure that the carbon rod doesnt touch any solder points.
Last edited by mescalinedream; Nov 08, 2012 at 07:11 AM.