HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,964 Posts
Anything that is out of balance and/or doesn't spin straight can cause wobble. Not in any particular order:
  • Bent Main Shaft - I'm not certain I've ever seen a bent CF Main Shaft (CF Main Shafts are more likely to split); however, it is very common to bend Metal Shafts. Below is a procedure someone posted in the CB100 (has a Metal Main Shaft and Metal Rotor Head) thread describing how to check for a bent Main Shaft while on the heli:
    I suggest you remove main blades and flybar and spin it up as slowly as you can get the main motor to turn. Once the motor spins back off the throttle a bit, it will spin even slower. The head button (round top of head block) is machined, and part of the head block so you can trust it to be true. If it wobbles, use a sharpie to mark it while spinning. then you can bend it "in frame" away from the side that got marked by the sharpie until you have zero wobble in the head button. Rember to spin the head / main motor very slowly, it's easier to see the wobble.
  • Bent Blade Grips - verify they are "bent" equally straight. Ideally they should both be straight; however it is more important they be mirror images of each other.

• Bent Main Rotor Blades - verify they are "bent" equally straight. Ideally they should both be straight; however it is more important they be mirror images of each other, especially the closer the "bend" is to the root of the Blade (i.e. an unequal bend has more of an imbalance effect at the root of the Blade than it does at the tip).

• Main Rotor Blades with CoG in different locations - Both Blades should have same weight, and more importantly have their CoG's located in the same location.

• Bent Feathering Shaft - when I was a newbie I thought a bent Feathering Shaft would show up as Blade Tracking Error, until Livonia Bob explained to me that air resistance on the Blades will most likely force a bent Feathering Shaft to rotate and reposition itself from an up-and-down oriented bent Feathering Shaft to a forward-and-backward bent orientation; and therefore will not show up as Blade Tracking Error, but instead will show up as Blade Phasing Error which will show up as a wobble in flight (not caused by Blade Tracking Error). A couple different ways to inspect for bent Feathering Shaft:
    • With LiPo disconnected, remove one Blade, rotate remaining Blade 90* from normal straight out postion, and use Feathering Shaft removal tool to rotate exposed end of Feathering Shaft, and verify remaining Blade does not flutter up and down as the Feathering Shaft is rotated.
    • Remove Feathering Shaft and roll on flat surface (a flat sheet of glass), and verify no exposed air gap anywhere between the bottom of Feathering Shaft and flat surface as Feathering Shaft is rolled along the flat surface.

• Bent Tail Rotor Blade - Both sides should be identical mirror images of each other, having the same pitch and be bent up-and-down the same. Generally, the more both sides of the Tail Blades are not equally bent in pitch and/or length, the louder they sound.

• Bent Tail Motor Shaft - can be inspected the same way as a Main Shaft

• Improper Swashplate-to-Blade Grip Link Adjustments - ideally if nothing else was bent, they both should be the same length, but more importantly they should be adjusted for minimum amount of Blade Tracking Error.

Besides observance of wobbling in flight, a quick top level system check to verify most of the rotating parts are in balance is to do a Blade Tracking Error inspection. Although the top 2 Links can be used in almost all instances to adjust and minimize the amount of Blade Tracking Error, the smoothest flight would probably result from making sure all the above listed parts are "balanced" as best as possible before doing the Blade Tracking Error link adjustments. In other words, if all the other parts were equally bent to be mirror images of each other, then the top 2 Links should be adjusted to have equal lengths which would result in both Blades having the same pitch.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Oct 26, 2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: grammar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, MI, East Tawas
Joined Aug 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
Your welcome.
I think you bent your main shaft.
You can also check this. Power up the heli and look straight down on the head button and give it throttle.
Start from low throttle and work your way up. If the main shaft is bent you will see the button wobble.

If not possibly vertical play in the main shaft like flint723 said. Make sure there
is no up and down play if so check that the main gear is pressed all the way up.
If it is then your main collar must have slipped. Loosen it and slide it back down and tighten the collar.

Tom
Tom that is exactly what happens. If I give it throttle it vibrates. At mid stick the vibe decreases. It flies fine with no wobble but I want to fix it before the vibe damages something else.
j35u5fr34k is offline Find More Posts by j35u5fr34k
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
I suggest you remove main blades and flybar and spin it up as slowly as you can get the main motor to turn. Once the motor spins back off the throttle a bit, it will spin even slower. The head button (round top of head block) is machined, and part of the head block so you can trust it to be true. If it wobbles, use a sharpie to mark it while spinning. then you can bend it "in frame" away from the side that got marked by the sharpie until you have zero wobble in the head button. Rember to spin the head / main motor very slowly, it's easier to see the wobble.
Thanks. I'll try that tonight. Very much appreciate everyone's help.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:54 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post
Hi guys,

Haven't posted in this thread in some time. I wanted to ask, is 3 1/2 minutes on a C05M Mini CP w/ 350mah lipo okay?

Also, I resoldered my battery-RX connection and I used these connectors (same ones connecting my motor to ESC). They fit perfectly with the middle connection snipped off. Can these connectors handle the power?
I get 3 minutes on a HP05S Mini CP w/ 350mah lipo.
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:55 PM
Austria
Joined Sep 2008
217 Posts
What are GCP's and MCP's ESC and motor specifications?
I can't find any info in Walkera's website.
helicopter_new is offline Find More Posts by helicopter_new
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:28 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter_new View Post
What are GCP's and MCP's ESC and motor specifications?
I can't find any info in Walkera's website.
That's because they don't sell GCP's & MCP's with ESC & BL motors only with brushed motors.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:30 PM
Israel, Adi
Joined May 2006
115 Posts
Well i need some help...
my mini cp feels a little weak when i try to do flips it is a stock setup brushed.
i have been reading for the last week or so and found so many ideas of brushless setup's that i am now confused and can't understand what way to go.

right now i am thinking to go for this setup
HP06VX Motor
XP-7A Esc
http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera43BLMotorEsc.htm

what do you guys think?

i already ordered some 1S 300mah nano tech from hobbyking.

will this be strong enough to do some flips?
guytzoler is offline Find More Posts by guytzoler
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:26 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guytzoler View Post
Well i need some help...
my mini cp feels a little weak when i try to do flips it is a stock setup brushed.
i have been reading for the last week or so and found so many ideas of brushless setup's that i am now confused and can't understand what way to go.

right now i am thinking to go for this setup
HP06VX Motor
XP-7A Esc
http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera43BLMotorEsc.htm

what do you guys think?

i already ordered some 1S 300mah nano tech from hobbyking.

will this be strong enough to do some flips?
That would be a power house, flips no problem 300mah maybe 1 minute flight time. I only get a little over 2 minutes with a HP05S on 300mah nano tech's. But if the HP06VX Motor would even fit & I think it might cause with my HP05S I still have a little extra space with the GCP main gear, with some frame shaving you could possible make it work & put some larger mah batteries in it with more mods to place battery to get more flight time.

But going from brushed, the C05M & Walkera ESC 10A-LT he has is a much better match for your application with the 300mah batteries.
Last edited by Crash Survivor; Oct 26, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:11 AM
Austria
Joined Sep 2008
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
That's because they don't sell GCP's & MCP's with ESC & BL motors only with brushed motors.
Crash Survivor thank you!

Will any of these servos fit in MCP's frame without modifications? Many people are talking about HK-282A and HK-5320 but I didn't understand if mods are needed.
helicopter_new is offline Find More Posts by helicopter_new
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,964 Posts
Quote:
...Many people are talking about HK-282A and HK-5320 but I didn't understand if mods are needed.
This was posted in this thread couple days ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
You probably can find more info about either Servo mod if you do a search for the terms "282" and/or "5320' in this thread, Tom Z's Mini Review thread, or the Genius CP(it uses the same Servos) thread. If I remember correctly, a couple months ago itsmillertime posted he tried both mods and had a preference of one over the other, but I forgot which and why.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Crash Survivor thank you!

Will any of these servos fit in MCP's frame without modifications? Many people are talking about HK-282A and HK-5320 but I didn't understand if mods are needed.
282A Looks like modding needed. GCP & MCP use same servos.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...a#post21028004

5320 Appears sticking with Walkera servos is the best option.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post20240641
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1562262
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
Your welcome.
I think you bent your main shaft.
You can also check this. Power up the heli and look straight down on the head button and give it throttle.
Start from low throttle and work your way up. If the main shaft is bent you will see the button wobble.

If not possibly vertical play in the main shaft like flint723 said. Make sure there
is no up and down play if so check that the main gear is pressed all the way up.
If it is then your main collar must have slipped. Loosen it and slide it back down and tighten the collar.

Tom
It appears as though I bent the feathering shaft. I held a ruler to the grips with the blades removed and one of them hit and the other was well below the ruler. When I put the blades back on again, I did the same thing with the ruler and the problem was exacerbated at the blade ends. I ordered a new main, feathering shaft, bearings and rotor head. Probably should have included a new set of grips just in case. We'll see. Thanks.
Last edited by j35u5fr34k; Oct 27, 2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: found out what feathering shaft was
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:59 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j35u5fr34k View Post
It appears as though I bent the feathering shaft. I held a ruler to the grips with the blades removed and one of them hit and the other was well below the ruler. When I put the blades back on again, I did the same thing with the ruler and the problem was exacerbated at the blade ends. I ordered a new main, feathering shaft, bearings and rotor head. Probably should have included a new set of grips just in case. We'll see. Thanks.
I think it would be very hard to bend the feathering shaft. But what gets messed up making the feathering shaft appear bent are those blade holder rubber O rings the center hole gets oblong/out of round that the feathering shaft rest in. When that happens your blade tracking gets off also.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:16 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
I think it would be very hard to bend the feathering shaft. But what gets messed up making the feathering shaft appear bent are those blade holder rubber O rings the center hole gets oblong/out of round that the feathering shaft rest in. When that happens your blade tracking gets off also.
Not that hard to bend one, just crash on something hard at an angle while inverted, or hit something with the upper part of blades, 99% guaranteed bent FS. Good thing is you can bend it back 1-2 times.
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Guess me & my son have just been lucky then on these mini's.