HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
You might want to consider the blade nano cp, getting parts for the blade should be easier much easier if you live in Europe.And the fact that its only half of the weight of the mini means its more crash durable.

The mini needs to be modded otherwise your going to have to stock up on spare servos or servo gears.

As for spare parts, id say feathering shaft, main shaft, blade grip, tail booms , canopys, landing gear and servos.

The servo saver & canopy / rx saver mods should always be done on a mini before the first flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
I've bounced off stuff in every possible direction many times and never had to replace the Feathering Shaft, Main Shaft, Blade Grips, or Canopy.

After incorporating the above Mods, the Tail Boom and Fin became my most common break items. To start off I'd get a spare Tail Assy without Motor, but for the longterm fixes I think most people make their own Tail Booms from CF Tube (1 m lengths available from RCFoam.com for about $2.50 + $8.00 shipping), and I "ghetto" fix the Tail Fin with scrap plastic until the Motor Holder is no longer repairable and doesn't hold the Motor anymore, and have to replace it with a new Tail Fin/Motor Holder.

I bought a Genius V2 Orange Canopy because it is easier to see when flying indoors against a dark background.

If you like crashing into hard stuff at full speed, then I'd also recommend getting a spare Collar, set of Links, and Landing Skid.

Edit: I had forgotten that the stock Collar is only sold with the Main Shaft. To date, I've been able to fix stripped and cracked Collars with CA, others have posted of not having problem with permanently CA'ing the Collar to the Main Shaft, and there have been photos and discussions in this thread about Delrin and Metal substitute Collars that can be used.
Thank you for your replies, its great information. i will do the servo saver mod and the coil glue mod before first flight
BeShO is offline Find More Posts by BeShO
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:14 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
You dont need to mod the servos if you loosen the shaft collar if you plan to crash.
Gluing the coil is a must if it isnt predone
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
... My kids had all this nail polish, and ...
Yeah, right ...

And I suppose itsmillertime will say this was his girl friend's heli:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
So I get my new receiver in the mail, Bob from Helircstore was nice enough to hold 1 of the last two and also send me it while I sent the money order. Very cool! But I have a problem.

The new receiver went right in and the Devo7 wouldnt auto bind. I figured it was still setup for fixed id so I learned how to delete that and install the bind plug on the receiver etc. The heli then auto-bined. I was happy and started to fly it around the kitchen until the thought popped into my head to learn how to set fixed id. So I set the heli down and the radio and left them both on while I learned how to setup the fixed id. I finally found out and left the web page up so I could still fly. Big problem.
The heli which was just flying a few minutes ago is now not powering up the main motor. I then felt that maybe a rebind was necessary and did so. Still the same problem. I then decided to change out the main motor and still the same problem. I decided to install the esc from the double brushless kit and main motor and still the same problem. I then went through and installed all different servos one by one until they were all older servos. I swapped the new ones back and then a new problem arose. The heli would kick full right rudder and stay that way spinning in circles. This would only happen if I would barely touch the right rudder stick.
Then the only way to turn off the full rudder was to use left trim until it bottomed out. Also I had noticed that the servos and tail motor would not respond to me moving the heli with my hand. Usually the tail motor would kick on louder if you try and spin the heli in your hand, also the servos show move in the opposite direction that you move the heli. Nothing of the sort was happening with my new receiver!

I received the receiver today around 3 and have been working on it until now. I am so bummed out. I have tried everything, including resetting the devo7 and re-inputting all of my settings. What the hell could of went so wrong with this receiver?
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:10 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I killed a 2nd receiver and am now walking away. It's like yours and the light only comes on with pressure applied to it. Oh well, I've already sold my hp05s, hp03t and esc's. Anyone want to buy a mcp airframe, tons of blades and spares?

This is why I no longer want to fool with the mcp:
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:17 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
Quote:
So I get my new receiver in the mail, Bob from Helircstore was nice enough to hold 1 of the last two and also send me it while I sent the money order. Very cool! But I have a problem.

The new receiver went right in and the Devo7 wouldnt auto bind. I figured it was still setup for fixed id so I learned how to delete that and install the bind plug on the receiver etc. The heli then auto-bined. I was happy and started to fly it around the kitchen until the thought popped into my head to learn how to set fixed id. So I set the heli down and the radio and left them both on while I learned how to setup the fixed id. I finally found out and left the web page up so I could still fly. Big problem.
The heli which was just flying a few minutes ago is now not powering up the main motor. I then felt that maybe a rebind was necessary and did so. Still the same problem. I then decided to change out the main motor and still the same problem. I decided to install the esc from the double brushless kit and main motor and still the same problem. I then went through and installed all different servos one by one until they were all older servos. I swapped the new ones back and then a new problem arose. The heli would kick full right rudder and stay that way spinning in circles. This would only happen if I would barely touch the right rudder stick.
Then the only way to turn off the full rudder was to use left trim until it bottomed out. Also I had noticed that the servos and tail motor would not respond to me moving the heli with my hand. Usually the tail motor would kick on louder if you try and spin the heli in your hand, also the servos show move in the opposite direction that you move the heli. Nothing of the sort was happening with my new receiver!

I received the receiver today around 3 and have been working on it until now. I am so bummed out. I have tried everything, including resetting the devo7 and re-inputting all of my settings. What the hell could of went so wrong with this receiver?
I would send the receiver back and ask the vendor to repair or exhange it. This sounds like a DOA to me. Walkera does repair receivers for free whether they are a warranty issue or not but you have to go through your vendor. I have more than 10 receivers repaired by Walkera. The problem is that overseas vendors are reluctant to send things back to China.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:42 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,011 Posts
Quote:

The way I would go about troubleshooting, would be to unplug everything from the RX, then:

1) Plug RX's LiPo, verify RX successfully completes binding procedure: goes from blinking LED to solid LED indication.

2) Plug Main Motor, verify Main Motor rpm increases/decreases according to TX Throttle stick command - if not:
  • Verify if existing Main Motor is good by:
    • Verify if existing Main Motor will work at low rpm without load/blade(s) when plugged into RX's Tail Motor connector
      or
    • Verify if existing Main Motor will work at low rpm without load/blade(s) when plugged into a different known good RX designed for any 1S Brushed Motor.
    or
  • Verify if known good 1S Brushed Motor will work at low rpm without load/blade(s) when plugged into the RX's Main Motor Plug.
If you have a known good 1S Brushed Motor and verified it doesn't work with the RX, and if you know the RX is getting good Voltage at its input (use RX's Telemetry reading to verify it is actually getting the proper Voltage at full load/current conditions at the RX ; thereby verifying the Lipo's Voltage isn't getting "dropped" at full load/current conditions somewhere between the LiPo and RX wiring/connectors), then the RX has a problem.

3) Plug and verify proper operation of remaining electrical parts, one at a time.

Sometimes adding one bad electrical part to an otherwise good working system, causes too much of a (short-circuit type of) current load on the system that the system can no longer even properly power the good stuff, that is why it might be beneficial to test things isolated one part at a time.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Oct 07, 2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Add full load/current Voltage measurement at RX comment
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:32 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
Sorry to hear that. I killed a 2nd receiver and am now walking away. It's like yours and the light only comes on with pressure applied to it. Oh well, I've already sold my hp05s, hp03t and esc's. Anyone want to buy a mcp airframe, tons of blades and spares?

This is why I no longer want to fool with the mcp:
does it NOT have a horizontal stabilizer?
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:00 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
None of the 130s do, but it is really an extra for looks only accessory on the 120 size helis
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Oct 07, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Woo HOO I got the receiver working!!!! I went through and swapped every part etc motors/servos/esc's wiring. Bleh! Frustrating! I emailed Bob at helircstore.com and told him I was sending back the receiver. He had told me to check one last time . All this morning I did everything over and still the tail motor would stay screaming and the gyro wouldnt work. I took the receiver out and was about to throw it into an envelope and decided to take a look at the board itself. I was looking for something out of place or burned. A shiny piece of silver caught my eye below the green FQC sticker in the top left hand corner of the board. A piece of solder stuck onto two pins of the chip that is under the sticker.

The piece of solder was barely on the two pins and I figured that it had to of come from me. I solder a lot of stuff and the box where I keep my heli spare parts etc is loaded with tiny bits of solder. I hooked everything back up and she flies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So happy.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
I have always been using the Walkera lt-10a esc with my c05 motors. I had a look at the esc's that come with the genius double brushless kit which are 2 esc's sandwhiched together. The two escs have nand gates on the back compared to the walkera lt-10a which has fets. Which esc is better? one with fets or nand gates?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:52 AM
Joined Jan 2007
516 Posts
nano mini cp

I would welcome a nano mini cp. I have the mini and it is slightly to big to do flips and inverted in my livingroom. The vd120d02s is only slightly bigger and i would not dream of going inverted with it in my living room. I think that a lighter and smaller heli would be nice to toss around inside during the whinter.

Hugo
hugo-norway is offline Find More Posts by hugo-norway
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:29 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo-norway View Post
I would welcome a nano mini cp. I have the mini and it is slightly to big to do flips and inverted in my livingroom. The vd120d02s is only slightly bigger and i would not dream of going inverted with it in my living room. I think that a lighter and smaller heli would be nice to toss around inside during the whinter.

Hugo
Walkera is using a smaller servo in the Super FP where the servo electronics is on the all-in-one board rather than the servo itself. This suggests that they are up to something. However, I am not rushing this time given the horrible time I had with the Mini CP receivers.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:21 AM
Joined Jan 2007
516 Posts
Lol

Have only gone trough two myself. One started to go wild when motor started, the other i fried the fet due to shortcircuit in the tail, my fault.

When the magic smoke has leaked out the the electronic it is very difficult to get it back in LOL

Hugo
hugo-norway is offline Find More Posts by hugo-norway
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Dec 2008
83 Posts
Does anyone know what size the canopy support rod is going into the servo holder?

I'm ordering some square carbon for the boom I might as well get the canopy rod. I've also heard of gluing a 1 inch 1mm rod to the back of the servo holder instead. Not sure if this is stronger I haven't tried this.
PeteAir is offline Find More Posts by PeteAir