HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:35 AM
Joined Mar 2007
48 Posts
Mine was doing that. I was getting about 45 seconds to 1 minute hovering and then getting the low battery warning on my Devo 8s. It turned out to be the motor. I decided it was a good time to go brushless, and now my flight times are back to normal.
dway is offline Find More Posts by dway
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:36 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,399 Posts
Would a minicp motor fit a GeniusCP? I just burned out my second motor and i have no idea what i'm doing wrong. I may have done quite a few propeller hits on the first motor (note that it's still a LOT less than when i was on a v911), and that may have contributed to the first burn out. But the second motor barely had any crashes, with the 'crashes' being absorbed by the landing skids.

I've barely done any 3D flight, i'm in normal mode but the motors wearing out just from hover practice? I hear the miniCP motor is more powerful, maybe it's more robust? Would it fit on a GeniusCP?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:43 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,291 Posts
I found that on most helis the motors heat up more when hovering, than when doing circuits. I think there is more airflow because the heli is moving through the air.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,399 Posts
May be a factor, but wouldn't the fact that a helicopter literally flying in the middle of a maelstrom mean it's got plenty of airflow as is?

I hope you're right coz i'm going to be on my third motor and i'm moving up to walking around with it. All the same, if there's a better motor i can fit in it, i'd rather install that. The MiniCP is about the same size as the GeniusCP, i'm hoping the MCP motors screwholes line up with the GCP.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:07 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
May be a factor, but wouldn't the fact that a helicopter literally flying in the middle of a maelstrom mean it's got plenty of airflow as is?

I hope you're right coz i'm going to be on my third motor and i'm moving up to walking around with it. All the same, if there's a better motor i can fit in it, i'd rather install that. The MiniCP is about the same size as the GeniusCP, i'm hoping the MCP motors screwholes line up with the GCP.
Why not just go brushless? more power, less motor heat and longer flight times. Win/Win/Win
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
brushless.. You can get a wk10 esc and a c05 for $40 from wow hobbies. Less if you order from hk.

the genius, minicp, and mcpx stock motors are more or less compatible with each other. I think you might have to reverse polarity on the mcpx motor to use it if I remember right.
zzyzx is offline Find More Posts by zzyzx
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,399 Posts
http://helitrex.multiply.com/photos/...EPARTS#photo=5

Local seller. About 2,500php or 60usd. Not really sure if they actually have it in stock, but worth a try.

Is there an explanation on why a brushless is more durable than a brushed motor? Not really familiar with the difference between the two.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:08 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,018 Posts
Quote:

Local seller. About 2,500php or 60usd. Not really sure if they actually have it in stock, but worth a try.

Is there an explanation on why a brushless is more durable than a brushed motor? Not really familiar with the difference between the two.
That looks like it might be the official walkera double brushless kit, Stay away from that one. it really dosn't preform that well. as said, grab it from wowhobbies or Terence/Chinese Jade <- awesome site for walkera spare parts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,399 Posts
If it performs atleast as good as the original, but be more durable, i'll settle for it. At this rate four main motors will be enough to pay for the brushless set. If i buy a second motor, i'll already be halfway there.

googled terence. Is this it?

www.chinesejade.com

I'll check it out thanks.

However, if i were to get a helicopter that's a bit larger, what would you recommend? Req. Brushless + Tail rotor powered by main motor + about 400mm length + Landing gear separate from main body + Preferrably Walkera BNF Compatible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:05 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,296 Posts
Quote:
If it performs atleast as good as the original, but be more durable, i'll settle for it. At this rate four main motors will be enough to pay for the brushless set. If i buy a second motor, i'll already be halfway there.

www.chinesejade.com

However, if i were to get a helicopter that's a bit larger, what would you recommend? Req. Brushless + Tail rotor powered by main motor + about 400mm length + Landing gear separate from main body + Preferrably Walkera BNF Compatible.
I would recommend the V120D02S without reservation. It is far more powerful and capable than the stock Mini CP out of the box. In fact, I and many others in Hong Kong have switched back to flying the V120D02S because of recurrent problems with the Mini CP receiver. Otherwise I would take a look at the larger Master CP but that has a tail motor. I cannot recommend any other larger Walkera CPs at the moment because a poor track record of quality.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:40 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,018 Posts
Quote:

www.chinesejade.com

http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera.htm is correct yes.

And as Zadaw said, if your looking for something bigger then V120d02s or Master CP (440 mm,Brushed, tail motor, 119 usd without charger/battery ). Id wait a while with the master cp though, it was just released and not many have had the chance to test/review it.

Btw Zadaw, what kind of Reciever problems as my rx seems to be working just fine?
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:37 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,291 Posts
Quote:

There is no sliding contact in a brushless motor, so no brushes that wear down, or a collector that can do the same. The only thing that is prone to wear in a brushless motor are the bearings, and these can last a long, long time. Usually the only way to total a brushless motor is by letting it get too hot. During normal use, there is virtually no wear.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:42 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera.htm is correct yes.

And as Zadaw said, if your looking for something bigger then V120d02s or Master CP (440 mm,Brushed, tail motor, 119 usd without charger/battery ). Id wait a while with the master cp though, it was just released and not many have had the chance to test/review it.

Btw Zadaw, what kind of Reciever problems as my rx seems to be working just fine?
There were all sorts of problems but the main problem were blown tail fets. I have 4 receivers for 2 air frames and all have been constantly sent back to Walkera for repair. In fact, I have never had a stretch of a week when I could fly a Mini CP. The current status is that one receiver is not repairable and another is back with Walkera. Off the two that are back, both fly very badly. I wrote a thread in another forum about this.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=423120

These problems are well known to my vendor who had been constantly sending receivers back to Walkera for repair. In fact he and many others have switched to flying the V120D02S almost exclusively because of this. The issue of blown tail fets occur with my Genius CP and mCPX as well so I am not completely sure whether the Mini CP receiver is much more susceptible than other 100 sized CPs.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Sep 01, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:57 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,018 Posts
Interesting, iv been flying my mini now for ~3 weeks and my fets seem to be fine.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:07 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,291 Posts
Perhaps it's your aura, zadaw?