HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:09 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
How has your mini CPs been holding up? So far, after a few days, the Genius CP motor stopped working and it was a week before i could get it replaced. And then after just one crash, one of the bearings went missing so it's down atleast a month because the local hobby shop didn't have the part and i have to order from china

For the price of the motor and bearing, i'd be able to buy a v911 BNF Makes me wonder how the mini CP differs in construction and if it would have been worth the month it takes to order the miniCP from china.
you don't have to order from china.....there are several us vendors and there are vendors in Europe also and the bearing going missing?????? the bearings are all covered by other parts....it would have to be one fantastic crash to dislodge a bearing. Lastly, when buying parts, you KNOW you will need at least a few things....buy several parts that you KNOW you will need and then you'll have them on hand and it will cut down on shipping costs.
pmerritt is online now Find More Posts by pmerritt
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:57 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
you don't have to order from china.....there are several us vendors and there are vendors in Europe also and the bearing going missing?????? the bearings are all covered by other parts....it would have to be one fantastic crash to dislodge a bearing. Lastly, when buying parts, you KNOW you will need at least a few things....buy several parts that you KNOW you will need and then you'll have them on hand and it will cut down on shipping costs.
I'm in the Philippines. Very few choices on local sellers.

You're referring to the bearing next to the swash plate. The lost bearing is the one next to the main gear, which, on the Genius CP, is exposed, it's likely to get hit or snag on something if you land too hard. The main gear gets dislodged every time the blades hit something. Pretty good design actually, the main gear is not screwed in, it pops off and dissipates all the force away from the other parts so nothing breaks, the main gear itself if very flexible. I've got good incentive not to crash because the blades do a lot of damage (It can slice through furniture and *has* sliced through skin). However, this time, when tried putting the main gear back, i noticed that the shaft was loose. There's a large hole underneath the helicopter where the bearing is supposed to be.

I already ordered a couple from banggoods. I'm making it a habit that when one part fails, i'm ordering two more. Would help if you can give recommendations on the parts to order.

The one i'm surprised in is the motor, how can it burn out so fast?
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Aug 25, 2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:18 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
I'm in the Philippines. Very few choices on local sellers.

You're referring to the bearing next to the swash plate. The lost bearing is the one next to the main gear, which, on the Genius CP, is exposed, it's likely to get hit or snag on something if you land too hard. The main gear gets dislodged every time the blades hit something. Pretty good design actually, the main gear is not screwed in, it pops off and dissipates all the force away from the other parts so nothing breaks, the main gear itself if very flexible. I've got good incentive not to crash because the blades do a lot of damage (It can slice through furniture and *has* sliced through skin). However, this time, when tried putting the main gear back, i noticed that the shaft was loose. There's a large hole underneath the helicopter where the bearing is supposed to be.

I already ordered a couple from banggoods. I'm making it a habit that when one part fails, i'm ordering two more. Would help if you can give recommendations on the parts to order.

The one i'm surprised in is the motor, how can it burn out so fast?
I suspect that you have got a worn main shaft which is why your main gear pops out easily. The main gear should go down a bit in a crash but should not pop out. If this is not fixed, you will continue to lose bearings. Another thing to look out for is whether the head is a bit loose on the main shaft. If the main shaft is a bit damage, the head will rotate a bit as well. The street shop I use in Hong Kong is ac-rc.com
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:53 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,657 Posts

After months of inactivity on the Un-Official Micro-Flyers Video Challenge thread, I think the time has come to create a new challenge thread, including revised rules, more challenge categories, and fresh new concepts. So I have created the new Micro Flyers Great and Small Video Challenge thread to cater for all of the micro flying audience by adding 5 new challenge categories.

All of the challenge categories are as follows:
  • Helis (IN BLUE)
  • Helis 3D (IN LIGHT BLUE)
  • Quads (IN GREEN)
  • Quads 3D (IN DARK GREEN)
  • Planes (IN RED)
  • Planes 3D (IN ORANGE)
  • FPV also including the use of "key chain cams" and other micro recording devices (IN PURPLE)

Additionally I have added a Hall of Fame where you can compete to get your name on the podium in your respective flying class for the ultimate bragging rights.

valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
Edited:

So I just got my Mini CP, and I seemed to be having major problems with engine bogging. Would bog very seriously with even mild maneuvers

Think I found the solution, poor battery contact, took the battery connector off, squashed the connectors to be tighter, and seems to be working better now.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Last edited by carl1864; Aug 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:49 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,246 Posts
I just want to give an update on the problem I have been having with the receivers. I have got 4 receivers which I use with 2 air frames. I have been having recurrent problem with them such as blown tail fets which led to them being sent repeatedly to Walkera for repairs. The last receiver I got back worked well until it suddenly stopped working. This I have sent back to Walkera again.

.I have now got the other three receivers back from Walkera. They refused to repair one receiver but repaired the other two. I found both of them flew poorly. The heli became rather twitchy and unstable. It was particularly noticeable in FFF. Although I was still able to do flips and inverted flight as before, although there were lots of tail blowouts. It was just downright unpleasant compared to the V120D02S which I flew at the same time. I think I have got to the end of the line as far as repairs are concerned with these receivers.
Last edited by zadaw; Aug 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,259 Posts
i don't know if you have bad luck or you're just crashing a lot but i have a genius (well Genius is sold now), minicp, and v120d02s and i've NEVER had a rcvr problem. But i don't try to do stuff that i can't handle yet either. Eventually I will but i still feel a little wobbly at times so until i feel totally confident.....no crazy stuff for me.
pmerritt is online now Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:04 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
i don't know if you have bad luck or you're just crashing a lot but i have a genius, minicp, and v120d02s and i've NEVER had a rcvr problem. But i don't try to do stuff that i can't handle yet either. Eventually I will but i still feel a little wobbly at times so until i feel totally confident.....no crazy stuff for me.
It is a combination of poor maintenance, crashing a lot, and bad luck in that order. Most incidences with blown tail fets could have been avoided. Otherwise, I have also had receivers that stopped working suddenly for unknown reasons.

However, the high likelihood of damage to Mini CP receivers is well known. My vendor gets a lot of Mini CP receivers for repairs. He doesn't fly it that much anymore because of it. A lot of Mini CP fliers have switched to the V120D02S instead.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,916 Posts
Do you fly many batteries back to back? I find that the tail motor gets really hot after a few batteries. This might cause premature brush damage, and this could overload the tail fets.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
So I got my first Mini CP, but I am just having major engine bogging issues.

Its the one from WOWhobbies, that they sell with a higher output 300mah battery, and 8t pinion. They claim that this setup delivers much more power, however this thing is like a slug. I have the radio setup right, with the throttle/pitch curves I read from read a couple of setup guides.

Even simple things like a little pitch pump, or flipping to inverted just make the engine scream and bog, and want to struggle to maintain any altitude.

At first I thought I solved it by crimping the battery connectors tighter, had gotten one good flight out of it with good power, but never again since. Thinking about replacing the connectors entirely, but before I do, I'm wondering if anyone else knows if this major bogging issue could be something else.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:16 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Do you fly many batteries back to back? I find that the tail motor gets really hot after a few batteries. This might cause premature brush damage, and this could overload the tail fets.
Yes, I did. But most cases of damage to the tail fets seem to arise from damage to the tail motor wires which I wrapped around the boom. There had also been two incidences when the tail fet was blown as I was using a completely new boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864 View Post
So I got my first Mini CP, but I am just having major engine bogging issues.

Its the one from WOWhobbies, that they sell with a higher output 300mah battery, and 8t pinion. They claim that this setup delivers much more power, however this thing is like a slug. I have the radio setup right, with the throttle/pitch curves I read from read a couple of setup guides.

Even simple things like a little pitch pump, or flipping to inverted just make the engine scream and bog, and want to struggle to maintain any altitude.

At first I thought I solved it by crimping the battery connectors tighter, had gotten one good flight out of it with good power, but never again since. Thinking about replacing the connectors entirely, but before I do, I'm wondering if anyone else knows if this major bogging issue could be something else.
Can you check whether the mesh between the motor pinion and main gear is too tight? Otherwise, there is quite a large degree of variation between different motors and you might have got a bad one.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:27 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,266 Posts
*wrong thread*
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Aug 29, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:34 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,916 Posts
I'm using the 300 mAh NanoTech batteries now. I bought the Solo Pro 100 version, since it already has the right connector, except with the wires switched. Well, that is not hard to correct. The batteries are a bit more lean and thinner than the stock 240, and weigh almost 1 g heavier than stock. On one I carefully pried off the black plastic end cap. Weight after that was 8.22 g, compared to stock 7.35g. The Nano 300 with plastic end cap was about 8.55g.

First flight tests look promising, seems to have more punch than stock. And with the stock cells after about 3 minutes the power starts to sag a little, even just hovering. The flight controls start to feel a little indirect then, so at that moment I decide to land. With the Nano 300s I can go to 4 minutes and beyond, without getting that feeling of the controls slighty lagging as the power of the battery starts to drop. So far so good.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:28 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,878 Posts
So, im about to order a c05m motor, the walkera ecs and a 9t pinion (seems 8t is out of stock on homefly and terence dosnt stock them)

While im at it imgoing to order a bunch of spare parts.

Is there anything im missing in regards to spare parts/brusshless in this list?

I already have a spare Tailboom set, main rotor blades and a servo holder.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:08 AM
United States, NC, Franklin
Joined Dec 2002
424 Posts
Ive been using the nanotech 300 from hobbyking for a long time. At first ok, now they seem to be ruined. they will hold no charge. I discharge to 3.4 v, and clearly there is little capacity left, and then they charge only maybe 15 mah or less. No capacity.

Now I bought some hyperion 320 mah. had to cut the battery tray to get them in. They hover a couple minutes, have not timed it yet. Then get low voltage warning. dont want to ruin them, so I stop. They take only 65 mah. I ran one a little more, and the heli seems to bog like the capacity is gone, so I stop. takes about 70 mah. ! I am wondering if I could be pulling too much current, and the battery has less capacity at out of spec current. I guess Ill try to fit a huge current probe to the setup later....

I know about pinion tightness. My main gear has come off before, and I press it back on. I wonder if there is a bearing in there which might be missing? I could not find an assembly drawing in my pdf instructions on the mini. Anyone know what might be wrong? Is there a bearing or coller in there might have come loose missing? Know where a drawing showing parts and assembly can be found?

If Im not missing parts....anyone know what is normal current in a hover, or hand held? I wonder if my motor magnets have gone south for the winter all ready? Maybe from hovering? I really have not operated the heli that much,and I dont do 3d, but my flight times dropped to near 0. Where is a good place to get a new motor to try?

thx.
jdowdle is offline Find More Posts by jdowdle
Last edited by jdowdle; Sep 01, 2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: add