HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Sep 2011
45 Posts
Servo/gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
Thanks, I've been having fun building these little guys but it's time to move up to bigger helis.

It's nose heavy stock but it's fbl system still makes it fly alright according to others. If one is so inclined, balancing it would be no problem.

I meant lowering the headspeed back to stock-ish levels. 5-6,000 rpm. I was running 8,000rpm for a while.

HK5320's/ PZ15320's and the included servo arms. The metal ball screws are from Microheli and come 5 in a pack. Only 3 of which are actually used.

You definitely need higher rated batteries. I can feel a difference between 25C and 20C so I imagine 15C batteries would bring the suck.
Thanks,
Sven
helisb is offline Find More Posts by helisb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
I forgot to mention that those servos need a lot of work. The ground and signal wires need to be switched at the plug and then the motor and signal wires need to be switched internally. When I was between jobs and had the time it was no big deal but now that I'm working 60+ hours a week I'd rather pony up the $15 dollars for a new Walkera servo. I'd still bitch about it as I feel they're over-priced but oh well. The PZ servos are a bit lighter than stock though. I saved almost 2g with them iirc.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Sep 2011
45 Posts
Servos

Quote:
I forgot to mention that those servos need a lot of work. The ground and signal wires need to be switched at the plug and then the motor and signal wires need to be switched internally. When I was between jobs and had the time it was no big deal but now that I'm working 60+ hours a week I'd rather pony up the $15 dollars for a new Walkera servo. I'd still bitch about it as I feel they're over-priced but oh well. The PZ servos are a bit lighter than stock though. I saved almost 2g with them iirc.
I have some HKM-282A's that also require wire swapping, still in their bags, I'll have to decide whether to modify or pony up the $'s when the next one fails
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
282a's are a pain in the ass. They're too wide which means no stock main gear unless you use at least a 9t pinion. Height wise they're perfect though. I tried a hybrid case and various "servo retaining devices" before just settling with 4mm double sided sticky foam. I'm still on my original servos too with many brutal crashes. The "servo saver" turned out to be a god-send.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
45 Posts
Servo

Quote:
282a's are a pain in the ass. They're too wide which means no stock main gear unless you use at least a 9t pinion. Height wise they're perfect though. I tried a hybrid case and various "servo retaining devices" before just settling with 4mm double sided sticky foam. I'm still on my original servos too with many brutal crashes. The "servo saver" turned out to be a god-send.
Thanks for letting me know, sounds like they should stay in the bags. I agree, I have not lost a servo since I made the servo saver mod.
Sven
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
Post them up in the micro airplane section. They sell fast there.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
45 Posts
Servos

Quote:
Post them up in the micro airplane section. They sell fast there.
Good idea, thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:06 AM
Russian Federation, Primorsky Krai, Vladivostok
Joined Jun 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
You definitely need higher rated batteries. I can feel a difference between 25C and 20C so I imagine 15C batteries would bring the suck.
I was afraid of that. Hopefully they won't be total suckage and will be ok for simple things like hovering and simple circuits while I get used to flying it.

I think I'll order some Turnigy nanotech 300mAh batteries. Tom Z had posted some pretty decent numbers using these but I haven't seen any comments about how they hold up in the long term after a good number of charge/discharge cycles. I suppose for $1.82 each I could risk a few.
Newbmeister is offline Find More Posts by Newbmeister
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Feb 2012
53 Posts
Xp-7a

Hey guys. I bought an xp-7a flashed with blheli from astroiddesigns for a c05 to switch out the other walkera esc i had.

I connected it all up, but when I turn it on i get three beeps and if i throttle up the motor doesnt do anything. Tail motor runs, but that one is brushed so nothing in between.

Pic of the esc
http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...xp-7a-1-2s-esc

Maybe my wiring is off? I connected the two big wires to the battery, the three blue to the c05, the three 'servo like' wires to the rx battery input and the white to the right side of the brushed motor plug on the rx. Maybe the singal wire needs to go somewhere else?

i dont need a converter since the esc has been flashed. (at least i thought so?)
Marioinc is offline Find More Posts by Marioinc
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioinc View Post
Hey guys. I bought an xp-7a flashed with blheli from astroiddesigns for a c05 to switch out the other walkera esc i had.

I connected it all up, but when I turn it on i get three beeps and if i throttle up the motor doesnt do anything. Tail motor runs, but that one is brushed so nothing in between.

Pic of the esc
http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...xp-7a-1-2s-esc

Maybe my wiring is off? I connected the two big wires to the battery, the three blue to the c05, the three 'servo like' wires to the rx battery input and the white to the right side of the brushed motor plug on the rx. Maybe the singal wire needs to go somewhere else?

i dont need a converter since the esc has been flashed. (at least i thought so?)

Flashed or not that board doesn't have a converter circuit/
zzyzx is offline Find More Posts by zzyzx
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:15 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
Flashed or not that board doesn't have a converter circuit/
BLHeli code does have converter in software and very clever one too!
To try out your ESC with motor.
Do you have a servo tester ? If you do just plug it in will work.
Software is clever enough to know what signal is : 1hz 2hz 4hz 8hz , normal and inverted. 1hz covers ppm signal.
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
53 Posts
Unfortuantely I don't have one...
Whenever I plug the battery I get the three beeps melody thing, but then no matter where I plug the signal wire (tried the brushed motor leads, directly off the microcontroller on the rx board before all the fets, and even just positive lead which should give full throttle)
I don't get any other beeps, for example the arming beeps I read i should get, and the motor doesn't budge. Everything is off the heli. I reduced to the bare minimum to find out what's wrong.
Any ideas how I can test the ESC? Maybe I got a faulty one?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:49 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
your not getting a signal at your esc, you'll get last beep when you do.

Not saying do this to get PPM signal but you rx outputs PPM for servos. But you need plug that fits, so far to much effort.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
53 Posts
Thank for the help but it turns out it was a bad solder job from the factory where the signal wire connects to the board. I didn't think to check their solder job, but finally noticed it wasnt exactly perfect (probably a cold solder? don't know) after hours of figuring out what was wrong. Anyways resoldered it and it works now, i get the high throttle beeps, low throttle beep, and then the motor spins. Tomorrow I'll put it all back together on the heli.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:07 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
excellent new, Good luck

btw there is PC app to change setting. Cheap option here