HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:25 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
More testing:

The Walkera esc I replaced weighed 2.1g so both of the 3.5A's will save me 1.4g.

All up weight at this point is 54.2g and I plan to shave a couple of more grams off of that with lighter servos. I just did some thrust tests.

In normal mode: 160g negative thrust, 90g continuous
st. 1 : 215g negative thrust, 125g continuous
st. 2 : 240g negative thrust, 155g continuous

Now I'm torn between leaving it be and fine tuning pitch travel/ curves so the tail will hold or putting on the hp06v2/ hp03t and having crazy power but at the expense of flight time...
i say leave as be and post videos!
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
872 Posts
I would love to get some video but all I have at the moment is my cell phone. I'll try to find someone to video it soon though.
itsmillertime is online now Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
Quote:
More testing:

The Walkera esc I replaced weighed 2.1g so both of the 3.5A's will save me 1.4g.

All up weight at this point is 54.2g and I plan to shave a couple of more grams off of that with lighter servos. I just did some thrust tests....
Is this ESC also good for some less KV brushless motor, like C05M?
pauliu is offline Find More Posts by pauliu
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
872 Posts
Yes, although the governer function wouldn't work to well since the c05 isn't very strong. You need some overhead (at least 10% of max headspeed) for the governer but you can use it without the governer. And I soldered the signal wire to the brushed motor plug and it's been working great so far. I only got to fly 2 batteries before I ran out of daylight but will tinker with it again tomorrow.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
872 Posts
But with a co5m or hp03, the .3g esc and the 2g lighter 5320 servos you could build an ultra light weight mini.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Feb 2012
90 Posts
I have two questions:
1) I mostly fly my birds at night. Are there any alternative to the black canopy of the mini CP? It is very hard to see it at night. (My other birds have white canopies and it is very easy to see them at night).
2) My tail balancer was twitched from one of the crashes. I twitched it back by hand but it seems like a very easy to break part. Is there any mod to keep it straight?
eagle75 is offline Find More Posts by eagle75
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined May 2012
112 Posts
Quote:
Yes, although the governer function wouldn't work to well since the c05 isn't very strong. You need some overhead (at least 10% of max headspeed) for the governer but you can use it without the governer. And I soldered the signal wire to the brushed motor plug and it's been working great so far. I only got to fly 2 batteries before I ran out of daylight but will tinker with it again tomorrow.
Nice, so plug and play is possible after all. Will be gettings xp7a shortly since its cheaper than oversky and slightly better than wallera's. Cant deside on the motor though. Hp05s 12500 or matt bockman. I really dont want to get into 500mah batteries and extra weight. Thanks itsmillertime for all the hard work of trying new things
Skovoroda is offline Find More Posts by Skovoroda
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle75 View Post
I have two questions:
1) I mostly fly my birds at night. Are there any alternative to the black canopy of the mini CP? It is very hard to see it at night. (My other birds have white canopies and it is very easy to see them at night).
2) My tail balancer was twitched from one of the crashes. I twitched it back by hand but it seems like a very easy to break part. Is there any mod to keep it straight?
you can try the genious v2 bright orange canopy, or you can simpy sray paint over the white canopy or put light layers of white tape or reflective tape
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,181 Posts
Quote:
I have two questions:
Once the Tail Fin breaks, I cut a new DIY Tail Fin from an old credit card. I don't make the new DIY Tail Fin exactly like the stock Tail Fin, instead I only make it V-shaped because I'm too lazy to cut out the center braces. I think my new DIY Tail Fins made from credit card material are about as durable as the stock Tail Fin. Maybe if made from a CD they would be more durable?
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,181 Posts
Quote:
I have two questions:
In the daytime, the Orange Genius V2 Canopy is easier to see against a dark background; however, at nighttime it is only barely easier to see than the dark stock Mini Canopy.

Jon's reflective tape suggestion sounds promising, and I'll be looking into it.

Also, someone about a month ago posted that the $50 "DarkMatterBlade" Night Blades advertised at HeliRCStore for the mCPx and Genius will also work with the Mini:

DarkMatterBlades.com (2 min 53 sec)

Name: Milled%20colors[1].jpg
Views: 57
Size: 171.7 KB
Description: Name: V2%20Blades%202[1].jpeg
Views: 52
Size: 198.4 KB
Description: Name: V2%20Blades%204[1].jpeg
Views: 51
Size: 150.6 KB
Description: Name: V2%20Blades%205[1].jpeg
Views: 41
Size: 126.0 KB
Description:
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Feb 2012
53 Posts
Hey guys I can finally get back to my heli for a bit.
So, if you don't remember, I have a c05m that runs hot with a 8t pinion and genius gear, and under 2 minutes flights. Great minute and half, lots of power, then within 30 seconds I can just hover a few inches off the floor.

So my next options are:
1) Try a new ESC - currently using the walkera 10a ltc, maybe the timing is a little off and out of phase with the motor hence the heat, although my motor runs with as little as 5% th, so it can't be that off (btw which one is the best for the c05 right now, the xp-7a or 10a right?)
2) Try a new c05m - even though it's got the power at the start, maybe there is some minor short circuit inside causing the heat.
But last time I opened it up I noticed an extra wire (attached pic), does everybody have this too? What could it be for?
I still have three wires coming out of the motor connected to three different winding wires...

Since I'm really short on money, which one do you guys think is most likely to be the culprit and I should buy first, a new esc or a new motor?
Marioinc is offline Find More Posts by Marioinc
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skovoroda View Post
Nice, so plug and play is possible after all. Will be gettings xp7a shortly since its cheaper than oversky and slightly better than wallera's. Cant deside on the motor though. Hp05s 12500 or matt bockman. I really dont want to get into 500mah batteries and extra weight. Thanks itsmillertime for all the hard work of trying new things
Go with at least a hp05s or bigger. It'll still bog with the Bockman. Even with the bigger batteries I'm only at 55g. But I have 200something grams of available thrust at my disposal and don't notice any extra weight. I crashed more with the smaller motors due to blow outs and not having enough power to get out of trouble. I'm charging batteries now for some more flying.The more I tinker with this thing the more like one of the bigger helis that I've been flying in Phoenix.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Dec 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioinc View Post
Hey guys I can finally get back to my heli for a bit.
So, if you don't remember, I have a c05m that runs hot with a 8t pinion and genius gear, and under 2 minutes flights. Great minute and half, lots of power, then within 30 seconds I can just hover a few inches off the floor.

So my next options are:
1) Try a new ESC - currently using the walkera 10a ltc, maybe the timing is a little off and out of phase with the motor hence the heat, although my motor runs with as little as 5% th, so it can't be that off (btw which one is the best for the c05 right now, the xp-7a or 10a right?)
2) Try a new c05m - even though it's got the power at the start, maybe there is some minor short circuit inside causing the heat.
But last time I opened it up I noticed an extra wire (attached pic), does everybody have this too? What could it be for?
I still have three wires coming out of the motor connected to three different winding wires...

Since I'm really short on money, which one do you guys think is most likely to be the culprit and I should buy first, a new esc or a new motor?
Flashed xp-7a. Blheli is a game-changer for these micros. The "extra wire" is normal. That's just how motors are terminated wye.

By the way guys, I have a pile of small motors I'll likely never use again. New ae0 c05m, used aeo c05m, used Bockman c05m.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
53 Posts
Quote:
Flashed xp-7a. Blheli is a game-changer for these micros. The "extra wire" is normal. That's just how motors are terminated wye.
Yeah I agree, but now i wanna get a hp06s with it though... Maybe next month...
Astroid is out of the xp7a, does anyone else offer this service?
Otherwise I'll just get it without the flash... I should really save as much money as I can... But how can you with these helis you always want that little more
Marioinc is offline Find More Posts by Marioinc
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
872 Posts
You can't use it without the flash. I have an extra xp3a that I posted in the classifieds but by the time I solder 18 tiny fets onto it to be able to handle the hp06v2 it gets kind of expensive. I might get a xp-7a and do a 2 or 3 cell set-up next. When I get bored with all my new found power, lol.