HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalGolem View Post
How does one know if the feathering shaft needs to be replaced? I've had several rotor down impacts in grass with no apparent ill effects on the servos, head, blade grips, or main shaft. However, what is the easiest means of testing that the feathering shaft hasn't been knocked out of round? Is it as simple as moving the aileron/elevator very slowly and looking for any "weirdness" in how the blades change pitch?
The easiest way is to hover it and look at the blade tracking. Another way is to remove one blade and turn the feathering shaft with a driver and watch the blade grips as you rotate the feathering shaft. Any wobble means the feathering shaft is bent and needs straightened or replaced.

Good Luck, Don
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
Has anyone bent their Feathering Shaft on the Mini yet?
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:04 PM
Registered Canopy Crusher
United Kingdom, Scotland, Insch
Joined Apr 2012
61 Posts
Is the mini cp supposed to be able to piro and stay stationary? Every time I piro, I get a drift to the right. I can counter it with left aileron (just) but it would be nice if it just span on the spot.

Also, I'm wondering what techniques people are using to level the swash? I've only done it by eye so far but is that enough? I can't help feeling I'm getting this drift during piros because of it.
weeb is offline Find More Posts by weeb
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:11 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Not until I started running crazy head speeds. I have noticed that my mini likes to eat main shafts though.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeb View Post
Is the mini cp supposed to be able to piro and stay stationary? Every time I piro, I get a drift to the right. I can counter it with left aileron (just) but it would be nice if it just span on the spot.

Also, I'm wondering what techniques people are using to level the swash? I've only done it by eye so far but is that enough? I can't help feeling I'm getting this drift during piros because of it.
AliShanmao and others have indicated that piros are not as precise as expected, but if you think this one is inaccurate/slow, then try piros on a V120D02S or worse, a V120D01.
OrbitalGolem is offline Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:34 PM
Registered Canopy Crusher
United Kingdom, Scotland, Insch
Joined Apr 2012
61 Posts
well I just attempted my first flip to inverted hover with mixed success, I got in to a hover a couple of times but the excitement of getting it there got the better of me and each time I automatically flipped throttle hold... it was fun though. I have given up while I'm ahead for the time being.

After a few hard crashes (on grass and concrete) the sum total of damage is a cracked canopy.... I think I got away with more than I should have!!!
weeb is offline Find More Posts by weeb
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:15 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeb View Post
well I just attempted my first flip to inverted hover with mixed success, I got in to a hover a couple of times but the excitement of getting it there got the better of me and each time I automatically flipped throttle hold... it was fun though. I have given up while I'm ahead for the time being.

After a few hard crashes (on grass and concrete) the sum total of damage is a cracked canopy.... I think I got away with more than I should have!!!
i have never bent a feathering shaft on the mini nor genius nor d02s. my v120d05 on the other hand...

nah, if you are hitting the throttle hold on time and you crash with some style then the worst you will get is a broken tail boom. this heli can take some serious punishment. even the canopy has to take a serious beating to break. i am thinking that this new "master mini" will fix the problem with the tail to landing skids struts.

now if only the canopy was made of some kind of light rubber or something. hmmmm, light rubber canopies... i think i am on to something. talk to you guys later, i am going to hit the man cave and see what i come up with.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
Paint the inside with 3M rubberized undercoating.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:41 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
Paint the inside with 3M rubberized undercoating.
thanks for the quick responce. so i should get this?
http://www.amazon.com/3M-03584-Profe...9623464&sr=8-1

so this should in theory make my canopy more crash resistant? interesting..... i am going to try this out.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
It should make it pretty indestructible but at the expense of a LOT of weight. I was semi-kidding, lol. On a side note, I just got my flashed and governed esc working but have to resolder a few servo leads I broke while installing everything. I can't wait to fly this thing again. I plan to govern it down to 5,500-6,000rpm to get rid of the speed of a 8,000rpm headspeed but it will still have a reserve of power to eliminate bogging. I'll still have the 8,000rpm headspeed on st. 2 because I love the way the mcpx blades sound doing an inverted climbout. Once I replace the fets I lost I can install the brushless tail too which should not blow out... ever.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
What are your symptoms. I'm wondering if I bent mine.
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
It works! I'll need to fine tune it but the teeny .4g governed esc works. This is not the final installation, this is just hastily thrown together so I could test it. But look how minuscule the esc is. Once I get my new fets I'll mount them side by side and both the main and tail esc's will still be smaller and lighter than the Walkera 10A.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
Governed to 30%, near stock headspeeds I get 9:30 flight times to 3.65 volts on Hyperion 550's. Even after 9 minutes the headspeed did not drop and it still had lots of power. I went a little longer than I should have (put 484mah back in, 88% discharged) but still 8-9 minutes with a conservative 3.7v left and it has a huge reserve of available power so bogging is a thing of the past. Running at full throttle I stopped after 4:30 of crazy performance and put back in 293mah, only 53% discharged. I also have a middle speed that is the best of both worlds. Great flight time and performance.

I'm only running 60% pitch travel right now because the 7mm tail won't hold. I bumped a stick with my blades which gave me more positive pitch before I could land and re-adjust my servo arms and the climb out was nuts. I mean it's already pretty damn fast but with more pitch it was just stupid. It piro'ed out of control because the 7mm tail isn't cutting it. Once my fets get here I'll put the hp03t brushless tail motor back on and bump the pitch travel up to 70-80%

Oh and I have an even bigger main motor to go in
Last edited by itsmillertime; Jun 13, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
I think my previous Feathering Shaft was bent, one of the bearing locked at one end of the Feathering Shaft and the screw at that side cannot move anymore. The bearing still can rotate but the rotor head was not balance, if straightened the blades, I saw one side was slightly lower than the other and felt vibrate while rotating even I had adjusted every links and blade tracking.
pauliu is offline Find More Posts by pauliu
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
More testing:

The Walkera esc I replaced weighed 2.1g so both of the 3.5A's will save me 1.4g.

All up weight at this point is 54.2g and I plan to shave a couple of more grams off of that with lighter servos. I just did some thrust tests.

In normal mode: 160g negative thrust, 90g continuous
st. 1 : 215g negative thrust, 125g continuous
st. 2 : 240g negative thrust, 155g continuous

Now I'm torn between leaving it be and fine tuning pitch travel/ curves so the tail will hold or putting on the hp06v2/ hp03t and having crazy power but at the expense of flight time...