Brushless tail is on but I can't solder it until Mon. Gah, I can't wait:

itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
if it is nose crashing than the negative pitch is definitely not doing its job. if you went full forward and negative pitch your heli should have done a wide forward loop.
hold the heli in your hand and carefully spool up. BE CAREFULL WHEN HOLDING, HOLD IT FIRMLY AND CONFIDENTY. if you feel air under your rotor and the heli feels like it wants to fly streight up that is positive pitch and thats normal flight. put stunt two on. if you feel air pushing up and your heli feels like it want to head streight to the ground then that is negative pitch. try to feel a difference in strenght between your positive and negative. how does your negative feel? sorry it didnt work out, sorry to hear about your crashes. again, the best advice for learning 3d would be a quality sim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I wonder how did you get into an inverted position for hovering? Did you do it through a half flip? If so, then there is probably nothing much wrong with your system. Ii just could be that you don't have enough power to do a full flip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
Sounds like hes flying it upside down into the ground as opposed to having negative pitch and correct throttle curves...and no offense Neo but like 2 days ago didnt you say you are barely just able to hover at the present moment? Youre jumping ahead of yourself and need to learn to fly it first.
If you cannot hover tail in, do circuits, figure 8s, etc you shouldnt even THINK about being inverted.
i went to the park real quick and made this video. my negative pitch seems to be working fine i think lol. its the elevator rotation. i took the mini cp so far up i could barely see it 60-80 ft maybe more. i pushed the nose down fully and used negative pitch. still nose dived straight to the ground. i though for sure i would at least be a little bit inverted by the time i crashed. o and when pushing the elevator up and back, while in ST1, the mcp seems to go on harder angles than on ST2. idk why. ST1 DR are at 100 LINE. ST2 is at 125 LINE. but its still not enough to flip her though. smh. tomorrow when i got inverted I'm going to try to flip out of it. front and backwards.
Mini CP inverted (1st inverted session) (2 min 45 sec)
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,962 Posts
Maybe try rolling?

Congratulations on the first attempts of keeping it inverted.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:30 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoneo View Post
i went to the park real quick and made this video. my negative pitch seems to be working fine i think lol. its the elevator rotation. i took the mini cp so far up i could barely see it 60-80 ft maybe more. i pushed the nose down fully and used negative pitch. still nose dived straight to the ground. i though for sure i would at least be a little bit inverted by the time i crashed. o and when pushing the elevator up and back, while in ST1, the mcp seems to go on harder angles than on ST2. idk why. ST1 DR are at 100 LINE. ST2 is at 125 LINE. but its still not enough to flip her though. smh. tomorrow when i got inverted I'm going to try to flip out of it. front and backwards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ML1jx3xYI
From what i saw on the video you should try to flip from your inverted into normal flight. Then again, the last sugestion i gave ends up with you nose diving alot. Sorry i cant help you better there bud.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
From what i saw on the video you should try to flip from your inverted into normal flight. Then again, the last sugestion i gave ends up with you nose diving alot. Sorry i cant help you better there bud.
i appreciate all of the wisdom. and you had a great idea, i just gotta figure out what could cause the elevator to be extremely slow. even when DR 125 EXPO is at -85.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,962 Posts
Have you verified on the bench and while in Throttle Hold, that the EL, AIL, and Pitch Servo movements are as dbennettya specified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
+1, setup is more than 50% of the battle...if the heli isn't setup right then even a really good pilot will have trouble with it. Learn to check your collective and cyclic pitch here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1409275

You should have +/-10 to 12* collective pitch and +/-7 to 11* cyclic pitch.

Good Luck, Don
Along with Don's +/- MAX Pitch, El, and Ail settings, you want to verify Pitch at center stick is 0*
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Jun 09, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Have you verified on the bench and while in Throttle Hold, that the EL, AIL, and Pitch Servo movements are as dbennettya specified?
I'm still trying to figure out what was done. i see how he's measuring it, but the settings. I'm doing it now, putting my throttle curve and pitch curve on 1,25,50,75,100. and unplugging my motors.

elevator measure (blades at 90degrees from the blade holder) lowest point is at 61mm, no stick is at 76mm, highest point is 88mm. total difference 27mm (nearest to 7* = 25.4mm on dbennettya's scale).

aileron measure (blade holder facing front, blades facing 90 degrees to the side) lowest point 58mm, no stick is 67mm, highest point is 83mm. 25mm difference (nearest to 7* = 25.4mm on dbennettya's scale)

now can someone please tell me what all of this means and how i can fix it.
Last edited by Neoneo; Jun 09, 2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: i edited as i adjusted the POT 1/4 turn at a time
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:27 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,771 Posts
im not familiar with the minicp rx but on my Genius if the gyro pots are set to high the 3 axis gyros fight the servos when trying to flip it so lowering the gyros a bit on it helps make it a lot easier to flip...
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out what was done. i see how he's measuring it, but the settings. I'm doing it now, putting my throttle curve and pitch curve on 1,25,50,75,100. and unplugging my motors.

elevator measure (blades at 90degrees from the blade holder) lowest point is at 51mm, no stick is at 60mm, highest point is 75mm. total difference 24mm (nearest to 7* = 25.4mm on dbennettya's scale).

aileron measure (blade holder facing front, blades facing 90 degrees to the side) lowest point 54mm, no stick is 60mm, highest point is 67mm. 13mm difference (not on dbennettya's scale

I don't know specifics on mini CP but it seems that you need more cyclic pitch and possibly to turn down the cyclic gyros as they may be fighting you. Most Walkera RXs have an extent pot for both cyclic and rudder that sets the maximum deflection of the servos. Try increasing until you get about +/-11* of cyclic pitch in both aileron and elevator. The extent pot works with the TX settings and the TX settings are usually used to fine tune while the RX extent pot is used to set the pitch you need.

I added a link to the pitch measurements in my thread a while ago so you can get exactly what measurements you need.

Good Luck, Don
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
I don't know specifics on mini CP but it seems that you need more cyclic pitch and possibly to turn down the cyclic gyros as they may be fighting you. Most Walkera RXs have an extent pot for both cyclic and rudder that sets the maximum deflection of the servos. Try increasing until you get about +/-11* of cyclic pitch in both aileron and elevator. The extent pot works with the TX settings and the TX settings are usually used to fine tune while the RX extent pot is used to set the pitch you need.

I added a link to the pitch measurements in my thread a while ago so you can get exactly what measurements you need.

Good Luck, Don
i can't get either link to work, i just realized i was using the measurements to your heli, not mine lol
when you click on this link, does it work
http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/tran...erechnung.html
or this one
Last edited by Neoneo; Jun 09, 2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added links
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:

elevator measure (blades at 90degrees from the blade holder) lowest point is at 61mm, no stick is at 76mm, highest point is 88mm. total difference 27mm (nearest to 7* = 25.4mm on dbennettya's scale).

aileron measure (blade holder facing front, blades facing 90 degrees to the side) lowest point 58mm, no stick is 67mm, highest point is 83mm. 25mm difference (nearest to 7* = 25.4mm on dbennettya's scale)

using the POT screw, 1/4 turn at a time, i went as far and 2 1/4 turn CCW and 1 turn CW (less movement) and have no real change in the distance between movement, 25mm difference. and without a chart, i can't tell if thats where I'm supposed to be. dbennettya do you at least have a formula that i can use to figure this out. i know the blade length, 110mm. i just need a formula. cause if this isn't whats keeping my bird from flipping, idk what else to do.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:02 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,135 Posts
Quote:
using the POT screw, 1/4 turn at a time, i went as far and 2 1/4 turn CCW and 1 turn CW (less movement) and have no real change in the distance between movement, 25mm difference. and without a chart, i can't tell if thats where I'm supposed to be. dbennettya do you at least have a formula that i can use to figure this out. i know the blade length, 110mm. i just need a formula. cause if this isn't whats keeping my bird from flipping, idk what else to do.
When I first got the Mini CP, I used the stock transmitter settings for inverted flight and flips without any problems. I have never altered the settings of any of the pots on the receiver. If you mess around with the stock settings too much, you may make the heli completely unflyable. It may be worthwhile for you to go back to the stock settings in the instructions and re-start from there.

What you really need is an experienced person to check things out for you. If you can tell us where you are, perhaps someone may be willing to help. Otherwise, it may be an easier option for you to stick with your MCPx for the moment since you are more likely to get local support.

BTW, your inverted video is amazing. It just confirms why I think the Mini CP is the best inverted trainer ever. If anything, it suggests that your heli has got more than enough negative ptich for flips and it could be that you haven't timed it right yet. I would say getting proficient in inverted flight is far more demanding and important than being able to do flips.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Jun 09, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
When I first got the Mini CP, I used the stock transmitter settings for inverted flight and flips without any problems. I have never altered the settings of any of the pots on the receiver. If you mess around with the stock settings too much, you may make the heli completely unflyable. It may be worthwhile for you to go back to the stock settings in the instructions and re-start from there.

What you really need is an experienced person to check things out for you. If you can tell us where you are, perhaps someone may be willing to help. Otherwise, it may be an easier option for you to stick with your MCPx for the moment since you are more likely to get local support.

BTW, your inverted video is amazing. It just confirms why I think the Mini CP is the best inverted trainer ever. If anything, it suggests that your heli has got more than enough negative ptich for flips and it could be that you haven't timed it right yet. I would say getting proficient in inverted flight is far more demanding and important than being able to do flips.
I've tried going back to factory settings, no luck. and i don't have an mcpx, just a mini cp. i am in New Jersey 20 minutes from philadelphia. 35 minutes from Atlantic City. know anyone in the area?
and for the vid. I'm kinda obsessed with flying inverted. i went through 7 batteries today on just that. the mini cp is small so when its far away, its hard to see but still fun as heck
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Quote:
i can't get either link to work, i just realized i was using the measurements to your heli, not mine lol
when you click on this link, does it work
or this one
Sorry the links don't work for me right now so maybe the server is down. However, good old math to the rescue?????

http://www.bymath.com/studyguide/tri/sec/tri13.htm

Remember to divide the number in half because each blade moves + and - so actual pitch is half that measured.

Good Luck, Don
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
Sorry the links don't work for me right now so maybe the server is down. However, good old math to the rescue?????

http://www.bymath.com/studyguide/tri/sec/tri13.htm

Remember to divide the number in half because each blade moves + and - so actual pitch is half that measured.

Good Luck, Don
You said geometry, that link is algebra, not my area of expertise to say the least lol.