HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 10:53 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
I have no idea how the metal motor fingers last 500 flights...WD40 or no. The fingers usually are the culprit of these motors not bearings or anything so I wouldnt think it would do much. Thats insane for one of these motors. WD40 isnt actually really a lubricant, I know some people break in their motors with the water submersion method by replacing water with WD40 but never heard spraying em every once in a while will increase their life by tenfold.
If you really get 500 batteries out of your motors my hats off to you sir.
It seems that they seem to think that it is,, as do I in the right place at the right time..

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

Funny how people will believe what they read on RCG more than what the manufacturer says or people who have used it for years report..

Most metal finger motors die because of motor stoppage with power applied burning the fingers than from wearing them out. And a little lube helps them last even longer.
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
wd 40 is the best thing since sliced bread. in fact, i put wd 40 on my sliced bread everymorning for breakfast; it makes it taste better. then i spray it on the bread left in the bag, you know, to keep it from going stale after its past its "expiration date".

i spray that stuff all over my 1998 honda accord engine. not only does that 300,000+ mile engine look whistle clean, it increases its horsepower and increases my mpg to the point that i forgot the last time i had to stop for gas.

in highschool the track jock/bully challenged me to a race in front of my peeps and girlfriend. even though i was not a runner, i stood up to him and the challenge. i sprayed wd 40 between my legs to lower friction and thus ran faster than him and his chronies and took the track record of that highschool. i was the class hero.

in some towns in third world countries, wd 40 is a form of currency. if chuck norris cant solve a problem by way of a roundhouse kick, he adds wd 40 to it. making a batch of coca cola, wd 40 and power puff girls involves the same amount of secret ingredient "x". i spray it over my house to keep the insects away and make it tornado proof, as well as to keep the property value up. a few drops of wd 40 on your wife at night keeps the relationship from rusting over and, in essence, divorce.

i have yet to put it on a brushed motor though. reason being is because all my heli engines are brushless.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old May 20, 2012, 11:44 AM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
Jon,
You literally made me choke on my breakfast, that was so darn funny. You probably don't have any WD40 left for your motors anyway
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Old May 20, 2012, 12:15 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
wd 40 is the best thing since sliced bread. in fact, i put wd 40 on my sliced bread everymorning for breakfast; it makes it taste better. then i spray it on the bread left in the bag, you know, to keep it from going stale after its past its "expiration date".

i spray that stuff all over my 1998 honda accord engine. not only does that 300,000+ mile engine look whistle clean, it increases its horsepower and increases my mpg to the point that i forgot the last time i had to stop for gas.

in highschool the track jock/bully challenged me to a race in front of my peeps and girlfriend. even though i was not a runner, i stood up to him and the challenge. i sprayed wd 40 between my legs to lower friction and thus ran faster than him and his chronies and took the track record of that highschool. i was the class hero.

in some towns in third world countries, wd 40 is a form of currency. if chuck norris cant solve a problem by way of a roundhouse kick, he adds wd 40 to it. making a batch of coca cola, wd 40 and power puff girls involves the same amount of secret ingredient "x". i spray it over my house to keep the insects away and make it tornado proof, as well as to keep the property value up. a few drops of wd 40 on your wife at night keeps the relationship from rusting over and, in essence, divorce.

i have yet to put it on a brushed motor though. reason being is because all my heli engines are brushless.
I spray it on my truck to keep that showroom shine,, haven't had to wash it in 11 years..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old May 20, 2012, 12:55 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
I use WD40 all the time...and while it has lubricating properties I dont consider it a lubricant really. It cleans great, repels water and rust and gets off all sorts of stuff...but it dries out lots of material and will do the opposite of lubricate.
It will do an okay job of lubricating metal on metal but just okay imo.
I just stay away from it for that purpose and use products that do a much better job for it.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old May 20, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Quote:
I use WD40 all the time...and while it has lubricating properties I dont consider it a lubricant really. It cleans great, repels water and rust and gets off all sorts of stuff...but it dries out lots of material and will do the opposite of lubricate.
It will do an okay job of lubricating metal on metal but just okay imo.
I just stay away from it for that purpose and use products that do a much better job for it.
+1

I've used WD40 on my drill press as a cutting oil to drill large holes in steel to keep the drill cool and help it cut better. WD40 has many uses but not the best for lubricating.

YMMV, Don
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Old May 20, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,068 Posts
Anybody know where to get a Collar for the Main Shaft?

It can be purchased with the Main Shaft, but I only need the Collar.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old May 20, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,068 Posts
Does anybody know if a new Collar is pre-threaded, or is the Collar Screw suppose to be self tapping?

I have a new spare Main Shaft with Collar and Screw, and am having difficulty installing them because the Collar Screw doesn't thread into the Collar. At first, assuming the Collar came pre-threaded, and without verifying, I tried very carefully to gently thread the Collar Screw into the Collar. I was unsuccesful, so then guessed that the new Collar didn't come with existing threads, and instead am suppose to use force to self-tap the Collar Screw into the Collar. After many attempts, using more force on each additional attempt, I was eventually able to forcefully self thread the Collar Screw most of the way into the Collar; however, I haven't been able to finish the last few remaining threads. I'm imagining with all the unsuccessful Screw turning I've done, what ever threads I did start are probably stripped by now!

Any better ideas on what I should have done, and what I should do now?

How to finish threading the Collar Screw into the Collar? And in the event that Collar's threads are stripped, any suggestions on how to "re-new" the plastic threads?

The reason I wanted to replace the original Collar was because it is cracked at the "boss" (Collar's extended part that "houses" the Collar's threads), allowing the boss' diameter to widen and the threads to split open and preventing the tightening of Collar Screw.

If the replacement Collar thread is stripped, and if it can be repaired, then maybe the same repair can be used on the original Collar with the cracked boss with split open thread?
Last edited by i812; May 20, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Apr 2009
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palle_Plutt View Post
Hi

I don't know why you got angry with me.
Maybe my bad English.
I use WD40 to day on my helis and have done so for 15 years on RC cars in spesific places.
I have done my share of bad desision where to apply WD40.
I only wanted to give "heads up" to other that there are places that Wd40 is great and other where it's not so great.
Maybe you mixed me up with somebody else that had a opinion with out there own experience.
Paul,

I was not angry. I have no reason to be angry and I appologize if it sounded that I am angry. All I had was good intentions to share my experience with the brushed motors.
zvok is offline Find More Posts by zvok
Old May 21, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Apr 2009
99 Posts
Quote:
I have no idea how the metal motor fingers last 500 flights...WD40 or no. The fingers usually are the culprit of these motors not bearings or anything so I wouldnt think it would do much. Thats insane for one of these motors. WD40 isnt actually really a lubricant, I know some people break in their motors with the water submersion method by replacing water with WD40 but never heard spraying em every once in a while will increase their life by tenfold.
If you really get 500 batteries out of your motors my hats off to you sir.
If you haven't tried it don't knock it.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Apr 2009
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post

You are a real comedian.
Old May 21, 2012, 01:11 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvok View Post
If you haven't tried it don't knock it.
I wasnt knocking it...I was saying thats incredible if it does...not that it doesnt.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old May 21, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Oct 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Does anybody know if a new Collar is pre-threaded, or is the Collar Screw suppose to be self tapping?

I have a new spare Main Shaft with Collar and Screw, and am having difficulty installing them because the Collar Screw doesn't thread into the Collar. At first, assuming the Collar came pre-threaded, and without verifying, I tried very carefully to gently thread the Collar Screw into the Collar. I was unsuccesful, so then guessed that the new Collar didn't come with existing threads, and instead am suppose to use force to self-tap the Collar Screw into the Collar. After many attempts, using more force on each additional attempt, I was eventually able to forcefully self thread the Collar Screw most of the way into the Collar; however, I haven't been able to finish the last few remaining threads. I'm imagining with all the unsuccessful Screw turning I've done, what ever threads I did start are probably stripped by now!

Any better ideas on what I should have done, and what I should do now?

How to finish threading the Collar Screw into the Collar? And in the event that Collar's threads are stripped, any suggestions on how to "re-new" the plastic threads?

The reason I wanted to replace the original Collar was because it is cracked at the "boss" (Collar's extended part that "houses" the Collar's threads), allowing the boss' diameter to widen and the threads to split open and preventing the tightening of Collar Screw.

If the replacement Collar thread is stripped, and if it can be repaired, then maybe the same repair can be used on the original Collar with the cracked boss with split open thread?

I just replaced the main shaft on mine. My old collar was stripped out. It took a bit of effort to get the screw started into the new collar, more than seemed nessesary. It worked fine for me, but I can see why yoou are having trouble.
Windy City Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Windy City Flyer
Old May 21, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,068 Posts
After many repeated attempts, I finally was able to use enough force and turn the Collar Screw all the way through the wall of the Collar. The Collar Screw backed out and re-inserted itself along the threads in both directions, so I thought the threads might be OK; however, when I assembled the Collar on to the Main Shaft and tried tightening the Collar Screw, as soon as the Collar Screw reached the Main Shaft, I wasn't able to get it to apply any significant back pressure "torque" to the threads, and instead the Collar Screw just easily spun non-stop.

I suppose I need to order a few more Main Shafts, so I can have a supply of Collars.

Hopefully now that I'm aware about the possibility of a thread stripping problem that can occur while using the Screw to tap new threads into a new the Collar, I'll pay more attention, and somehow be more careful the next times. Maybe it might be easier, faster, better, and cheaper to locate, purchase, and use a proper sized tap?

I'm not done with those old damaged Collars though. I'm thinking of doing some DIY plastic thread rebuilding experiments with them:
  • Using JB Weld and lubed Screw. Hopefully the JB Weld will adhere to the plastic enough to rebuild the threads, yet not adhere to the lubed Screw.

• Using Soldering Iron and scrap Plastic to "Plastic-Weld" around "naked" screw.

• Use CA and lubed Screw. Hopefully the CA will adhere to the plastic yet not grip the lubed Screw.

I just tried using CA on the cracked Collar. I didn't apply the CA on the inside of the threads in attempt to rebuild them, but instead applied the CA on the outside trying to keep the crack from opening as the screw is tightened. I'll allow the CA to cure 24 hours before verifying if it can hold up to Screw torque.
Old May 21, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Nov 2011
28 Posts
Why don't you just get a metal collar & be done with the problem. Since I got 1 from RakonHeli I haven't had any problems & they're cheap. Heres a link
http://www.rakonheli.com/rkh/index.p...emart&Itemid=1
The quality is great & shipping is fast. Hope this helps.
Gryffandor is offline Find More Posts by Gryffandor