SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 14, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Feb 2008
204 Posts
That's some kick-ass macro video in i812's video of the tail motor (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3178).
Zoide is online now Find More Posts by Zoide
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 02:59 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
Here a vid of my setup:
Walkera Mini CP brushless mod with dual tail setup (3 min 37 sec)

Nice flying!

What happened at the end?

Which battery was it using?

Was it flying with AEO Main Blades during that video? If so, please describe how the performance would have compared with the stock Blades.

In a prior post you stated:
"AEO Bullet blades. These blades actually work really good. I prefer these over the stock baldes. Cyclics are nice and crisp with a nice pop sound when I want "
Does that mean they are stiffer than stock Blades? What purpose do the front "bullets" have? Are the bullets just heavier weights, kind of like having a heavier Flybar to give it more stability? I suppose using more weight on very fast rotating Main Blades will require the Servos to exert more force to make them change angles?

i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; May 14, 2012 at 03:10 AM.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Feb 2012
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helisb View Post
My MiniCP 240mah (stock) battery drains quite suddenly during flight (notice some loss of power prior to). This may happen a few times during the second half of a (4 minute) flight. The MiniCP is all stock. If I land and wait a bit (10-20 seconds), when this happens, the battery "rejuvenates" and I can fly some more (until it happens again). It's as if the battery gets starved before it's actually discharged. The rotor spins freely without the motor and the pinion and the main gear are not binding. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice on remedy?

I have some Hyperions 240mah, 25C, that I haven't tried yet (cell without leads and connector). Does anyone know if they are better than the Walkera 240mah stock batteries?

Thanks,
Sven
If your connections seem good to the rx, dont rule out the motor since youre running the stock one. My mini did the exact same thing before my motor started to give, and only after maybe 50-70 flights. Battety was still at 3.95 or around that when it happened.
Ive gone brushless but in the meantime it still worked reasonably well for about 25 flight with some wd40 (running a few seconds inside a tissue).

About the twin tail motor, I'm curious to how many amps a stock brushed motor can pull? I doubt two would harm the mosfets, since its probably less than an amp each... Anybody know?

Also im hearing people say elsewhere that walkera stock chargers overcharge the batteries. Im still using my stock mini cp charger for the 240 stocks and 350 walkera batteries (will buy a digital one with some new batteries soon), and one side of the chargers charges them to 4.14 (w/ multimeter) the other to 4.20, so thats not overcharging i hope right? TWIMC, it charges both kinds of batteries at 0.33 amps, so i guess 1.5 C for the stock, and 1C for the upgraded ones.
Marioinc is offline Find More Posts by Marioinc
Old May 14, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
I have stopped using the bockman motor altogether now. I had bought a handful of c05 and m5 stators. Some with bells some not. I am rewinding them to find the best wind scenario. So far 5 turns of dual strand 30awg is insane power! Twice the power of the bockman, way to much power on a 8t pinion and genius maingear! Plus flight times in the house doing circles and pitch pumps were only 2minutes and the 300mah turnigy nano(for solo-pro) came down toasty. Motor stayed cool though. That wind is for someone who wants to have too much power for a short time. Might be good for 7t pinion.

I tried 10 turns of 32awg and the power was marginal. I used it with the mini maingear and 9t pinion , pitch pumps were slow compared to stock c05 on a 9t pinion. Flight times in the house was well over 8 minutes though on a turnigy nano 300mah.

I think the wind I have now is the best so far. I am using a 9t pinion with genius maingear and flight times outside are 6 minutes. Thats with heavy sport flying. I havent tried fliping and inverted hovering yet with this wind. This wind is 8 turns of 291/2 awg wire. A tiny bit thicker then 30awg. I have been flying it with 300mah nano and it comes down cool, as does the motor. I flew with my zippy 350mah 20c and rcecho/ebay 350mah 20c and they come down cool as well but flight times are about 30sec less. Pitch pumps are nice and fast too, crazy fast without a canopy.

I just got the 29awg wire I ordered from ebay and plan to wire up another stator. If I can get 8 turns then it would be the perfect motor. It will have more power then the stock c05 and have super long flights. I barely had enough room for the 29 1/2awg wire so I dont know if 8 turns will fit. We will see!

********I just got back from flying my 29 1/2awg 8turn c05 motor with 9t pinion and genius maingear.I wanted to see how much performance I could get and could ony think of one thing, FLIPS!

I managed 81 complete backflips, one right after another. I ran out of battery juice at 6min 40sec, but still had enough to do some sport flying until 7min 14sec. So this motor I rewound is pretty nice. That was using the 350mah 25c Walkera battery out of the double brushless kit. This is only my 3rd day flipping the heli so I am not that good or quick at it. I also managed a 25 second inverted hover! I also hit myself in the head with the heli and put a gash on my scalp.

I will update soon about the 29awg motor.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Last edited by mescalinedream; May 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old May 14, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Nice flying!

What happened at the end?

Which battery was it using?

Was it flying with AEO Main Blades during that video? If so, please describe how the performance would have compared with the stock Blades.

In a prior post you stated:
"AEO Bullet blades. These blades actually work really good. I prefer these over the stock baldes. Cyclics are nice and crisp with a nice pop sound when I want "
Does that mean they are stiffer than stock Blades? What purpose do the front "bullets" have? Are the bullets just heavier weights, kind of like having a heavier Flybar to give it more stability? I suppose using more weight on very fast rotating Main Blades will require the Servos to exert more force to make them change angles?

Thanks Lol I dumbed thumb the heli into the ground : I was using the battery that came from the V100D08. I find they work much better and gives me more flight times. I forgot what mAh they are, but they fit the battery cage perfect. The stock Mini CP battery only give me about 30 seconds to a minute before the power downs enough where the motor will bog under heavy collective.

Yup in the video I was using the AEO bullet blades. They are a little wider than the stock Mini CP blades so they provide a little bit more pop. Not sure how these blades would perform on the stock brushed setup, but on my brushless setup I love them. The bullet kinda acts like a counter weight so the servos don't work as hard (well that's the theory: ) All I know is the AEO blades make the heli fly smoother and track better in the wind. With the stock blades the heli flips nice and fast, but suffers from bobbling up and down when doing fast forward flight or when flying outside in winds over 5mph. The MCPX advertises the bullet blades as for sport/stable flying while the traditional style blades are for performance/3D.
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old May 14, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
thats some sweet thrashing you got going on there mr tony,
your a hell of a pilot. cant wait untill some day i get that good.
hehe thanks man. That was just basic flying. You know flips here and there with a few piro during the flips. Nothing too fancy since that's all I can do lol I'm no where near as good as some of the guys here. A lot more practice and maybe one day I will get better You wil get there one day just practice on a flight SIM to learn the basics
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old May 15, 2012, 12:15 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
I have stopped using the bockman motor altogether now. I had bought a handful of c05 and m5 stators. Some with bells some not. I am rewinding them to find the best wind scenario. So far 5 turns of dual strand 30awg is insane power! Twice the power of the bockman, way to much power on a 8t pinion and genius maingear! Plus flight times in the house doing circles and pitch pumps were only 2minutes and the 300mah turnigy nano(for solo-pro) came down toasty. Motor stayed cool though. That wind is for someone who wants to have too much power for a short time. Might be good for 7t pinion.

I tried 10 turns of 32awg and the power was marginal. I used it with the mini maingear and 9t pinion , pitch pumps were slow compared to stock c05 on a 9t pinion. Flight times in the house was well over 8 minutes though on a turnigy nano 300mah.

I think the wind I have now is the best so far. I am using a 9t pinion with genius maingear and flight times outside are 6 minutes. Thats with heavy sport flying. I havent tried fliping and inverted hovering yet with this wind. This wind is 8 turns of 291/2 awg wire. A tiny bit thicker then 30awg. I have been flying it with 300mah nano and it comes down cool, as does the motor. I flew with my zippy 350mah 20c and rcecho/ebay 350mah 20c and they come down cool as well but flight times are about 30sec less. Pitch pumps are nice and fast too, crazy fast without a canopy.

I just got the 29awg wire I ordered from ebay and plan to wire up another stator. If I can get 8 turns then it would be the perfect motor. It will have more power then the stock c05 and have super long flights. I barely had enough room for the 29 1/2awg wire so I dont know if 8 turns will fit. We will see!

********I just got back from flying my 29 1/2awg 8turn c05 motor with 9t pinion and genius maingear.I wanted to see how much performance I could get and could ony think of one thing, FLIPS!

I managed 81 complete backflips, one right after another. I ran out of battery juice at 6min 40sec, but still had enough to do some sport flying until 7min 14sec. So this motor I rewound is pretty nice. That was using the 350mah 25c Walkera battery out of the double brushless kit. This is only my 3rd day flipping the heli so I am not that good or quick at it. I also managed a 25 second inverted hover! I also hit myself in the head with the heli and put a gash on my scalp.

I will update soon about the 29awg motor.
How easy is it to wind the motors? That setup is pretty attractive sounding.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old May 15, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
c05m is on sale at Clubheli for another 14hrs for $15 for those who still havent gone BL. Cheapest ive seen for a US retailer.
Old May 15, 2012, 02:41 AM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
886 Posts
Hi,I got a genius cp and a Devo 8s today,any suggestions about what should I do at first ?I did not know about about the 6Ch heli.
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old May 15, 2012, 05:18 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good store to buy the brushless kit? I dont want to keep on replacing the stock brushed motor everytime.
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor
Old May 15, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron qin View Post
Hi,I got a genius cp and a Devo 8s today,any suggestions about what should I do at first ?I did not know about about the 6Ch heli.
This is from Tom Z's "... Mini ... Review ..." thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Below are some mods many people believe should be done to the Mini CP as soon as possible:
  • Servo Saver mod - Bytemuncher's RCG Blog has detailed info.

• RX Saver Mod - Attach a somewhat stiff support from bottom of Battery Tray so it extends inside the bottom of the Canopy and helps keep the Canopy from easily sliding upwards when it is hit from the bottom. Marioinc posted details. I think if this mod is performed, then there might not be a need to do the RX Coil Saver mod.

• Canopy Saver Mod - Apply a strip of tape along the entire bottom edge of the Canopy. The Canopy is very durable; however, it easily splits starting from the bottom edge, and then over time the split travels towards the nose. Hopefully taping the entire bottom edge of the Canopy will prevent splits from starting.

• RX Coil Saver mod - Apply adhesive (Hot Glue, X2 White Gorilla Glue, CA, etc.) to Coil at front lower right corner of RX board, so Coil doesn't break when Canopy is taken off (in a crash?). If the Coil lead(s) has broken from the PWB and the lead(s) is too short to re-solder to the PWB, it can be carefully unwound as required (one of the Coil's leads easily unwinds one loop at a time from the outside inwards; however the other lead has its end exposed but immediately get buried under all the windings - it that lead is too short, probably the other lead will need to be completely unwound, so the coil can be rewound with long enough leads at each end), rewind as necessary (depending on which Coil wire lead broke from PWB), and re-solder as required. I think the Coil can be replaced for about $0.35 + $2.80 shipping from DigiKey.com; however, we should get one and verify it works before publicizing the Part Number.

• RX Antenna end - Keep it as vertical as possible - this will keep its exposed bare tip from electrically shorting against the Motor or RX circuitry, and have the Antenna positioned for best signal reception. Some people feel safer insulating (Liquid Electrical Tape, X2 White Gorilla Glue, Hot Glue, Heatshrink, etc.) the exposed wire at the tip of Antenna.
The first page of Tom's thread has a lot of helpful info.
Last edited by i812; May 15, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 05:32 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
(double post)
Last edited by i812; May 15, 2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 05:41 AM
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevTor View Post
Can anyone recommend a good store to buy the brushless kit? I dont want to keep on replacing the stock brushed motor everytime.
Dont buy the actual Walkera BL "kit"...buy a C05m motor and the walkera 10a esc...Wowhobbies sells it as a kit, clubheli sells it seperately, lots of sites sell the two.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
How easy is it to wind the motors? That setup is pretty attractive sounding.

It was very hard! I had wound the first two phases of 8 turns of 29 1/2 and they were a bit difficult. The third phase(last three teeth were the hardest. I had to epoxy the wire on the tooth because it wants to fall off. So you have to hold the wire in with pressure while the glue dries, thats if you can make the wire fit.

Its a very hard wind, but almost any wind is hard on a stator this small.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old May 15, 2012, 08:08 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
I bought a replacement receiver and flew 20 packs with the Mini CP today. Again, It was an incredible session and I could hardly believe my eyes what I was doing. I flew continuous inverted FFF circuits for the first time today, both L and R circuits. This was something I would never have expected to do so soon. I was able to instinctively bank in the right direction while turning and they were almost as smooth as my upright circuits. I was able to keep the height relatively stable.

It was done with a stock Mini CP. I gather that a few people have been having problems in converting the Mini CP to brushless. Perhaps this is something you do not need to do at all. As it is, the MIni CP is the greatest basic 3D I have ever flown, and this includes the MCPx, Genius CP and V120D02S. It is heads and shoulders above any other 100 sized CPs.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw