HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 11:49 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
I went as far as to remove the tail motor connector on the rx, cut off the connector for the tail wires and hard wired them to the rx to eliminate the plug as a potential problem. The motor itself only has about 10 flights on it, the shaft is straight and I even checked the balance on the new tail rotor. It's the main motor that's cutting out. It seems to "wander" a bit. While hovering it will start climbing without any additional throttle and then descend by it's self.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 11:52 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,866 Posts
prolly going back to the c05 like you mentioned is your best solution it sounds like...
magic_marty is online now Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old May 08, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
i would need a little more to work with aside from the video.

first and foremost, is the tx set with all stock settings correctly?
did you bind it unlevel like that?
are all the links the same height?
Thanks JMB,

I have two Mini CPs and newer one works fine.
I do binding on even level.
All links are the same height at the start.
Then flies ok for the first a mini or so and suddenly this happens and crash
helium voice is offline Find More Posts by helium voice
Old May 08, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Helium voice, i would start fresh by disconnecting all the servos and putting the bind plug in the elevator servo port. Turn the transmitter on then the heli. Disconnect the battery to the heli and turn the radio off. Install the servo plugs back in. Make sure there are no exposed wires, they can get crimped or their covering removed to expose. Make sure everything looks alright. Then try running the heli. If the problem still exists then remove one servo plug and turn the heli on. Does it still do it? if yes then plug the servo back in and remove a different one and so on.

Itsmillertime, I got a whole lot of stators/motors m5's and c05's to rewind. I am going to try 9 turns of 30awg wire, there has got to be a sweet spot. I am going to try dual strands of 32awg 8 turns if possible. Stock c05 is 8 turns of dual strand 34awg.

ITsmiller, check that the gearmesh isnt too tight also make sure the mainshafts bearings are lubed up. Spin the rotors(power off) with the motors pinion disengaged from the maingear. Your rotors should spin for a very long time. Maybe that will cure your spinning problem.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old May 08, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helium voice View Post
Thanks JMB,

I have two Mini CPs and newer one works fine.
I do binding on even level.
All links are the same height at the start.
Then flies ok for the first a mini or so and suddenly this happens and crash
Ok, so everything is set up right and it flies true until a minute or so, and then it goes haywire? Sounds like the gyro/rx are acting screwy/glitchy. Possibly a faulty rx or loose connection somewhere that reacts to the vibrations or warming up of the components.

Or, maybe, if you have a servo saver mod your servo horns could be slipping (or possibly a gear in one of your servos is stripped or simply one of your servos is getting faulty)

Is your antenna secured in a way so as that it does not possibly short anything on the rx while flying?

Sorry i cant help you further friend, i do not have personal experience with your situation. Wish i could help more
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old May 08, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
DEVO 8 model configurator webapp

Somebody with a DEVO 8 might be interested in this model configurator webapp, I wrote:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648141

Just in case you don't often visit the Radio forum...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old May 08, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
What tools do you guys use to cut the 1m square tube to size for the tail boom? Would it mess up the carbon fibers in the cut area?

Anybody knows if the Genius tail boom is the same size and length of the mini's?
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor
Old May 08, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Same size levtor, you can use a razor blade but it will take a long time. A dremel with a cut off disc is what i use. Fast and clean. Dont breath the dust!!!!!

Well guys i am trying different winds with the little c05/m5 motor. I just made a 10 turn 30awg m5. The m5 is a little different then the c05 because the bell/can sits further off the base. The c05 requires the removal of the bearing tube for a rewind. The m5 doesnt!. I will post a little later after I install it into the mini.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old May 08, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevTor View Post
... the 1m square tube to size for the tail boom? ...
2 mm Square CF Tube or Rod, not 1 mm
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old May 08, 2012, 06:19 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
2 mm Square CF Tube or Rod, not 1 mm
sorry, i meant 1m as 1 meter in length as what RCFoam.com have
Last edited by LevTor; May 08, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post
I did the quick and dirty. Solid 2mm rod and wound the wires around the outside of the rod.
Hi nac, would using the 2mm round rod loose its position and rotate during flight? Is it more durable than the square tube?
Old May 08, 2012, 06:24 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
Same size levtor, you can use a razor blade but it will take a long time. A dremel with a cut off disc is what i use. Fast and clean. Dont breath the dust!!!!!
Thanks mescalinedream, can you please clarify if the Genius boom has the same length as well?
Last edited by LevTor; May 08, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Help! my little bird is sick

Thanks JMB and mcdm,

I got two so I’m going to swap Rx then see what’s happening
helium voice is offline Find More Posts by helium voice
Last edited by helium voice; May 08, 2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: update
Old May 08, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
Helium voice, i would start fresh by disconnecting all the servos and putting the bind plug in the elevator servo port. Turn the transmitter on then the heli. Disconnect the battery to the heli and turn the radio off. Install the servo plugs back in. Make sure there are no exposed wires, they can get crimped or their covering removed to expose. Make sure everything looks alright. Then try running the heli. If the problem still exists then remove one servo plug and turn the heli on. Does it still do it? if yes then plug the servo back in and remove a different one and so on.

Itsmillertime, I got a whole lot of stators/motors m5's and c05's to rewind. I am going to try 9 turns of 30awg wire, there has got to be a sweet spot. I am going to try dual strands of 32awg 8 turns if possible. Stock c05 is 8 turns of dual strand 34awg.

ITsmiller, check that the gearmesh isnt too tight also make sure the mainshafts bearings are lubed up. Spin the rotors(power off) with the motors pinion disengaged from the maingear. Your rotors should spin for a very long time. Maybe that will cure your spinning problem.
My new tail motor made a nasty noise today so maybe it was a dud. I'll try another. And I completely agree about that c05/m5 sweet spot. I'd like to get a couple m5's myself as I think raising the center of gravity would be a good idea. I'm thinking of how I'll mount my teenie little 5320 servos closer to the main blades and using uber short swash links.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old May 08, 2012, 10:11 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevTor View Post
Hi nac, would using the 2mm round rod loose its position and rotate during flight? Is it more durable than the square tube?
I found it to be a really good fit. I had to use a few drops of glue at each end to stop it turning. Should be a lot stronger than the square tube.
nac is online now Find More Posts by nac