HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
866 Posts
Also, I think I may have screwed my heli up fresh out of the box when I leveled the swash and got the blade tracking straight. Can anyone measure their servo and pitch links for me? At mid stick in idle up I seem to have more negative than positive pitch. My flying has gotten better but I'm still a newbie, trying to learn all the ins and outs of a cp heli and not give up on it.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
0 dBm is actually more power than -5 dBm and -3dBm is half the power of 0 dBm.

Good Luck, Don
I think that's pretty obvious. And that's why I mentioned that he could go further to -5dBm. Devo 8s doesn't have -3 dBm option. It goes from 0 dBm to -5 dBm.
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor
Old May 07, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Itsmillertime, I would redo the head setup. Set your normal pitch curve -20 inh,inh,0,inh,inh,100 and set the blades at mid stick to 0 pitch. When you have 0 pitch at midstick and the blades are perfectly flat too, then you should be ok.

My tail is blowing out with the bockman motor too. It goes away with my normal pitch curve at 75%. The tail will stop blowing out if I fly without the canopy though?(more info about that below) I have tried different batteries, and tails. I have tried thicker tail wire, tightened the pins inside the tail motor plug to rx. Checked all solder points, made sure the boom was in all the way to the tail motor housing and the fuse. I tried a brand new tail motor, I made sure all the bearings were oiled and everything balanced out.

I am not sure exactly when the tail started to blow out. I remember flying at the park with the old c05 motor 9t genius maingear, old boom,old tail motor,old tail blade, original canopy. I crashed and broke the tail boom, canopy into 3 pieces.
I came home and installed a brand new replacement boom with new tail motor installed. I installed a new tail blade too. I made myself a foam canopy at 1.92grams. I flew the new setup in the house and noticed the tail kicking out 90 degrees on pitch pumps. I took a look and found the boom not pushed into the tail motor housing all the way. I pushed it in and glued it. It seemed to have fixed the problem, the tail was now holding in the house on severe pitch pumps. But this was just in the house with low ceilings. I cannot really bang the sticks like I can outside. I didnt get to fly the heli outside since fixing it until......

I got the bockman motor in the mail and installed it. I put a 8t pinion on it and flew it outside. The tail would blowout almost 360degrees on severe pitch pumps. This is with my pitch on 100% in normal. I lowered it to 75 percent and the tail holds but the performance isnt there. I like flying it at 100% as I always flew that way.
So I took the heli inside to try and find the problem. I made sure everything was pushed in all the way. I tried my old tail motor and while installing it broke the wires on it. So I soldered in thicker wires. Still didnt fix the tail blowouts.

I decided to fly without the canopy installed and the tail held just fine on the most extreme pitch pumps. I would love to fly without the canopy since the flight characteristics are so much better with the heli lighter. I might just build a foam cage that goes around the RX to protect it in a crash.

Any insight as to why the heli blows the tail out 360degrees with the canopy on, but doesnt do it with the canopy off?
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old May 07, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Help! my little bird is sick

SAM_2780.AVI (0 min 34 sec)

Could anyone tell me what's going on?
helium voice is offline Find More Posts by helium voice
Last edited by helium voice; May 07, 2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: update
Old May 07, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Dec 2011
866 Posts
Well everything was level and pitch was zero'ed. I accidentally erased all my model memory so I started over from scratch. (I'm amazed that I can now control this thing on 100% d/r and NO expo ) I had my pitch t/a at 100% for a quick indoor test and the pitch pumps were insanely fast with no tail kick. However, once I took it outside I had to reduce the t/a to 60% and it still 360's on hard pitch increases. I think indoors because of the height limitations of the floor and ceiling that I didn't increase the collective as much as I do outside (stick banging!) so reading this post makes me want to start at 10 degrees collective and 8 degrees cyclic and increase from there until I find the sweet spot. I broke my first swash today after I had to knock my mini out of a tree. It made a sickening "thud" it hit so hard.
Old May 07, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helium voice View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcRYKS75cxM
i would need a little more to work with aside from the video.

first and foremost, is the tx set with all stock settings correctly?
did you bind it unlevel like that?
are all the links the same height?
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old May 07, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
866 Posts
10 degrees collective
6 degrees aileron
7 degrees elevator

Seems that shouldn't be enough pitch to cause any issues.

A smaller pinion will reduce headspeed but increase torque right? Increased torque causes tail blow-outs. Maybe a 9 tooth pinion will increase my headspeed and reduce torque enough.
Old May 07, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
my stock tail boom keeps splitting. Do you guys know if square solid rod is better than the tube and where can I get them?
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor
Old May 07, 2012, 09:28 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helium voice View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcRYKS75cxM
From your video, you put the heli sideway and the swash try to level it whenever there is no stick input. put your heli upright and see should working fine.
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old May 07, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
866 Posts
Lowered my pitch t/a even more to 50% and it now piros like crazy just giving it throttle in normal mode. I'm about out of patience with this damn thing.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevTor View Post
my stock tail boom keeps splitting. Do you guys know if square solid rod is better than the tube and where can I get them?
RCFoam.com
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old May 07, 2012, 11:20 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevTor View Post
I did the quick and dirty. Solid 2mm rod and wound the wires around the outside of the rod.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old May 08, 2012, 12:23 AM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
10 degrees collective
6 degrees aileron
7 degrees elevator

Seems that shouldn't be enough pitch to cause any issues.

A smaller pinion will reduce headspeed but increase torque right? Increased torque causes tail blow-outs. Maybe a 9 tooth pinion will increase my headspeed and reduce torque enough.
i changed the pinion on my G from the 9 to a 8 and it gave more torque but decreased the tail blow out...what im thinking is in fast climb outs the motor bogs and it draws so much power from the battery that it affects the amount of power going to the tail which causes the tail motor to not have enough power to hold the tail...
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old May 08, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Dec 2011
866 Posts
Now my motor is randomly cutting out. I made sure all wires are firmly connected and that the signal wire is making good contact. I think the Bockman motor isn't all it's cracked up to be. I don't think there is any performance increase as it bogs about the same as with the old c05 but probably pulls a lot more current. I'm putting the c05 back on tomorrow and if I still can't get it flying well enough I'll be done with it.
Old May 08, 2012, 12:40 AM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,078 Posts
check your tail motor wires ...and also check to see if the tail motor shaft is bent...could be your tail motor is dieing too...might be time for a new one?
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty