SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2012, 11:49 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
866 Posts
Pics please. And weights if you can. I just put a 7mm tail motor/ mount on mine and still have 90 degree kick outs under hard climbs.
itsmillertime is online now Find More Posts by itsmillertime
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Apr 2012
15 Posts
Hello everyone.
This is my first post here, but I've been following this thread since page 1. Finally ordered my MiniCP and it arrived today. This will be my first CP and I just want to confirm some things with you guys.

Things that need to be done ASAP:
Servo Saver mod
Glue the coil
Glue the antenna
Anything else??

Setting for zero pitch and a few other things from following this video:
Mini CP and V120D02S Setup (Pitch Zero/Swash Zero/Blade Tracking) with Telemetry View (20 min 9 sec)

I think I saw another video posted on setting up pitch somewhere in this thread but I can't find it now. If so, can one direct me to it I would greatly appreciate that and perhaps if one is better than the other which one should I follow?

Since this is all new I plan to use Tom Z's beginner settings.

I think that's all I've noted on things I should do before taking off. Is there anything else I should do?

My ordered the genius motor and gear at the same time, I've read/heard of people "breaking in" electric motors by running them in water for an hour or two? Is that worth doing?
Also, a noob lipo question, should I charge the stock lipos fully before plugging them in or should i discharge them and then charge them fully?
JStack is offline Find More Posts by JStack
Old May 04, 2012, 01:22 AM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,078 Posts
no benifits to breaking in the genius motor in water cause it does not have carbon brushes on it...as far as the water break in it does help extend the motor life on motors that have carbon brushes in them but not on the G motor...

yes fully charge the lipos before you plug them in....and never discharge them fully it will ruin them...the voltage should not drop below 3.2 volts ...most people don't go near that low tho..
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old May 04, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
I would spray the motor with wd40 and glue the wires onto the top of it. My genius motor died far too early because of a bad wire.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old May 04, 2012, 09:16 AM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
I would spray the motor with wd40 and glue the wires onto the top of it. My genius motor died far too early because of a bad wire.
I wouldn't use WD40 in the motor as it leaves a residue that will attract dust and moisture. Instead I'd recommend Tri-Flow or Deoxit which is an electronic contact cleaner,

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old May 04, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
as i said before, i have slammed this heli into the stove, fridge and kitchen counters. i moved onto bicycles, garage walls and the side of buildings. today, i flew it outside for a bit and thinking that nothing was going to happen accidentaly flew it smack onto a telephone pole at around 20 feet. only damage was more cracks on the (still original) canopy and the gear flew off. i popped the gear back on and flew some more. whipped out another battery, flew for a good bit and then lost control (i think i was running out of battery) and the heli landed gently in a big pile of weeds or grass or something.

my mini cp has survived against a stove, fridge, building, 30 foot drops onto concrete, stationary bicycles, walls, stationary cars, rough landings, countless pilot error and even a telephone.

the mini cp vs tall soft weeds though is a different story......
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old May 05, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Nov 2010
89 Posts
Quote:
Well, there's your problem, Mr. mescalinedream!!! WD-40 is NOT A LUBRICANT, its a SOLVENT (read the label)!!! It has limited lubrication properties when it is wet but it dries quickly and it cracks plastics. Your poor motors are most likely running on metal-on-metal after their baths. Additionally, DW-40 have been known to dissolves/crack certain types of insulators. Lastly, I wouldn't worry about the residue, the high power/current environment would have very quickly incinerated any residue on contact surfaces.

According to the manufacturer, to obtain the full benefits from lubricants such as Tri-Flow you need to remove all existing lubricant (WD-40 does this quite well) prior to its application. If you are just applying more oil (ie Tri-Flow) than use cheap light oil. (I use Tri-Flow's dry lubricant on my bikes.) At chinesejade.com a mini CP motor is $12, Blade Grips Bearing $6.00 and Main Frame Bearing $3.50. How much does a bottle of Tri-Flow cost?

Normally, motor and bearing manufactures applies adequate lubrication as part of their manufacturing process. This alone accounts for their large MTTF. You should not need to tinker with them, especially when they are new. It's far better to just leave them alone and if you see signs of abnormal wear, figure out what wrong you have done to them and then replace them. It's save to say that not too many parts will survive more than %5 of its MTTF, due to inveterate destructive pilot errors.

The way I see it, don't waste time, effort, and money on parts that are cheap to replace. You are %99 more likely to end up killing them before their intended life span (before its original lubricant drys up).

TO SHOW TLC and to TRULY KEEP ALL THE PARTS RUNNING LONGER and SMOTHER, put your "oiling time" into your "simulator time."

Buy them, fly them, crash them, break them, buy more of them to replace them. No lubricant needed.

The True RC Pilot's way!
on.looker is offline Find More Posts by on.looker
Old May 05, 2012, 04:27 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,296 Posts
I finally gave in and got a Mini CP with Devo 8s. Vendors here in Hong Kong have stocked carrying 2801 pro compatible helis. All my receivers for my Genius CP and V120D02S are damaged.

I am pretty impressed by the Devo 8s. The interface is much more simple and intuitive than I thought. However, the Mini CP did not perform as well as I have hoped. I used the stock settings that came with the Devo 8s and only flew two flights before a servo was stripped in a crash.

Hovering and slow flight was definitely better than the Genius CP. There weas little difference between them in FFF. I did not try any flips today but flew inverted a few times. It felt very underpowered compared to the V120D02S. I had to pull the throttle well down in order to maintain height. There was quite a bit a drift as I transitioned from upright to inverted flight. I lost orientation following a transition and crashed. That was when I stripped the elevator servo.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old May 05, 2012, 06:16 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
There's my problem? I never used wd40, I have read on this forum and helifreaks of people getting 100+ flights out of a genius motor with wd40. I only got about 40 flights until my wire broke. I tried soldering larger wires onto the metal fingers that grab the commutator, and the metal hands broke from tension.

The metal fingers leave gouge marks in the commutator. Thats what makes the motor wear out. If you had a lubricant that would let the fingers glide over rather then grind then whats the problem? WD-40 does have lubricating properties. I dont know why so many people were praising it if it didnt work. I will use wd40 on my next brushed motor however I dont know when that will be. I am brushless and plan to stay that way.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old May 05, 2012, 08:32 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
As it's been explained to me, wd-40 does have lubricating properties, but it also goes away rather quickly. A locksmith told me once that wd works well for locks, you just have to keep reapplying.

The story I've heard is that 'wd' stands for 'water displacer', and was developed by the Navy to keep spare parts from oxidizing while at sea.

Rafa

Quote:
There's my problem? I never used wd40, I have read on this forum and helifreaks of people getting 100+ flights out of a genius motor with wd40. I only got about 40 flights until my wire broke. I tried soldering larger wires onto the metal fingers that grab the commutator, and the metal hands broke from tension.

The metal fingers leave gouge marks in the commutator. Thats what makes the motor wear out. If you had a lubricant that would let the fingers glide over rather then grind then whats the problem? WD-40 does have lubricating properties. I dont know why so many people were praising it if it didnt work. I will use wd40 on my next brushed motor however I dont know when that will be. I am brushless and plan to stay that way.
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old May 05, 2012, 09:14 AM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
The story I've heard is that 'wd' stands for 'water displacer', and was developed by the Navy to keep spare parts from oxidizing while at sea.
Oil displaces water. WD-40 is oil mixed with other stuff.
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old May 05, 2012, 10:39 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,296 Posts
I just want whether servos more likely to be stripped in the MiniCP than the Genius CP?

Also, what transmitter power output would you recommend?
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old May 05, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I just want whether servos more likely to be stripped in the MiniCP than the Genius CP?

i have flown the mini cp more than the 2 v120somethings that i have. after one or two crashes i have somekind of problem, just yesterday i crashed my v120 and stripped the elevator servo gears.

i have many many crashes with the mini cp and i have no gear servo saver mod and have yet to mess up a servo... or even lose blade tracking/swash setup for that matter. then again, other people might have a different experience.

as for the transmitter question, i do not know what the transmitter power output means or translates to. i have it set up to stock as mentioned in the instructions because i do not know any better, if for some reason you do not have that and want to know what it is let me know and i will look it up for you right quick.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old May 05, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post

I use 0 dBm but I think you can also go with -5. You don't really need that much TX power since you'll just be flying this baby close.

I too does not have the servo saver mod and after hundreds of crashed has not stripped a servo yet. This is sports flying and hard fast circuit flying.
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor
Old May 05, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
This heli is incredible. I broke my tail boom from the main frame but it still flies great even if the boom is slanted down and a little bit to the left. Crashed again (not because of this) but it still flies ok. Even on 10 Mph winds.
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor