HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
I've hit that same wall with my attempts at paper canopy construction. I got my 282a servos and kbdd main/ tail blades today. Still no motors so I can't fly/ test...
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post
I got some of the Fullriver 350mah 25C batteries, and I'm kinda confused by the charge capacity of them. When I charge them as a 3s pack (using an adapter), I only get about 200-220mah total back into the pack (3x 350mah packs = 1050mah total) before its full. Is this a problem with my charger, or the cells, or am I reading something wrong?
Don't work like that.
You have 3s 350 ie 3 1 cell packs
if you charged 1s 3p then you would see how much went backin, well what your expecting to see any-ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
http://translate.google.com/translat...26prmd%3Dimvns

CAn anyone who speaks/reads chinese send this guy a message to get the canopy.rar files from him? I really want the files he lists but I get a error message. I also tried to sign up to that message forum and cannot do that either. If you click on his name it will list his yoku.com personnal site. I cannot pm him through that either. Any help is appreciated!

Done
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
Got my 282a's mounted. With careful trimming of the tabs they fit perfectly, no need for foam or glue. With the metal ball screws mounted backwards on the first hole of the servo arm the link is vertically inline just like stock but offset at the bottom 1/8" inch. Perfectly acceptable for the ball screw, no binding. I opened one up so far and switched motor rotation/ wires but haven't done the pot. wires yet. I've been reading conflicting stories on which ones need to be swapped so I'll just have to experiment. The kbdd blades fit pretty well in the blade grips but are wider and longer than stock and also weigh 1g more per blade. I'm not sure how this will effect flight or if trimming them to the mini's blade profile is feasible. The kbdd tail rotor has a lot less pitch than stock so it probably won't work at all. That's too bad because I like the color options. Come on motors...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Thanks Sadsack, I couldnt figure out how to get that file. ITsmillertime, I dont have a printer, but my wife is stopping by my in-laws. Can you print that canopy out and tell me what size to tell her to scale the canopy to? and with what program you had used. Thanks, or anyone else for that matter. Please hurry though.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
I'm waiting on ink as well, lol.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
Got my 282a's mounted. With careful trimming of the tabs they fit perfectly, no need for foam or glue. With the metal ball screws mounted backwards on the first hole of the servo arm the link is vertically inline just like stock but offset at the bottom 1/8" inch. Perfectly acceptable for the ball screw, no binding. I opened one up so far and switched motor rotation/ wires but haven't done the pot. wires yet. I've been reading conflicting stories on which ones need to be swapped so I'll just have to experiment. ...
I saw the conflicting posts also, but the post(s) that made the most sense was the one that instructed to swap the pot's two outer wires, keeping the middle "wiper" wire as is. The reason I say that makes the most sense is, normally pot's have a "MAX" Voltage value connected at one end, and a "MIN" Voltage value connected at the other end, and by changing the Wiper'a location, any Voltage value in between can be selected depending on where the Wiper is making contact between MAX and MIN. By swapping the outer extreme connections, all that is being done is changing "polarity", meaning if before the wire swap the Wiper increased in Voltage as it was turned CW, after the wire swap the wiper will decrease in Voltage as it is turned CW. I suppose a mechanical analogy of swapping the Pot's two outside wires, would be like flipping a ruler 180*: before the flip the ruler increased in numbers reading from left to right; whereas, after the flip the ruler increased in numbers reading (upside down) from right to left.

When I was reading the posts in the other threads about having to rewire the 282 Servo, there was a photo of the 282 Servo, and it didn't look like it came with balls. What balls are you using with yours for the Mini?
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Apr 29, 2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
I've tried every combination of wires and probably killed all three of the 282a's. I switched the ground and signal wires on the connector, switched motor leads and switched the outer two pot. wires. I managed to make it rapidly jump back and forth, go all the way one direction and bind and now no matter what I do the servo motor spins when plugged in.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post
I got some of the Fullriver 350mah 25C batteries, and I'm kinda confused by the charge capacity of them. When I charge them as a 3s pack (using an adapter), I only get about 200-220mah total back into the pack (3x 350mah packs = 1050mah total) before its full. Is this a problem with my charger, or the cells, or am I reading something wrong?
When Batteries are connected in Series, the resultant Battery Pack will have greater Voltage capability, but still have the same current (mAh) capability.

For example when connecting three single cell (3.7 nominal Voltage) 350 mAh LiPo's in Series, the resultant LiPo Pack will be 3S (11.1 nominal Voltage) but still be 350 mAh.

When Batteries are connected in Parallel, the resultant Battery Pack will still have the same Voltage capability, but greater current (mAh) capability.

For example when connecting three single cell (3.7 nominal Voltage) 350 mAh LiPo's in Parallel, the resultant LiPo Pack will still be 1S (3.7 nominal Voltage), but 1050 mAh.

------

The amount of electrical power a Battery produces is:

Watt = Voltage * Current

P = V * I

So, with the LiPo's wired in either Series or Parallel, the amount of Power the packs produce is the same:

Power = 11.1V x 350 mAh = 3.7 V x 1050 mAh = 3885 Watt-hr
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,013 Posts
bump ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
Got my 282a's mounted. With careful trimming of the tabs they fit perfectly, no need for foam or glue. With the metal ball screws mounted backwards on the first hole of the servo arm the link is vertically inline just like stock but offset at the bottom 1/8" inch. Perfectly acceptable for the ball screw, no binding...
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
...When I was reading the posts in the other threads about having to rewire the 282 Servo, there was a photo of the 282 Servo, and it didn't look like it came with balls. What balls are you using with yours for the Mini?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microheli-Bl...d#ht_844wt_905

Comes with 3 short which fit perfectly and 2 long that the balls on are too small. I drilled a hole a little further in to emulate the stock arm and keep the link parallel to the main shaft and screwed the balls in facing in and the links are only slightly angled outwards. The elevator servo however needed a little more work. I had to cut the arm and double it up to space the ball closer to the main shaft.
Last edited by itsmillertime; Apr 28, 2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
For those of you who want more power but dont want too much , but want more then the stock c05... http://mattbockman.com/?p=163

I bought one 3 days ago and received it yesterday. I only had a 1mm 8t pinion and the bockman motor comes with a 1.5mm shaft. I really wanted to test it out but didnt want to wait for as pinion in the mail. So, I took the pinion off my c05 in the minicp and slid the bell(can) off. I installed the old c05 can with 1mm shaft onto the bockman motor.

The bockman motor has a black base and top but the sides are chrome. The weight of the new motor was 4.54g. The base has narrower channels where the screws go in. Also, the base has threads in the two larger holes, my old c05 doest have that. The new wind is 6 turns of 28g wire wye compared to 8 turns of 34g wire wye stock. The magnets are epoxied in too and there is gobs of glue compared to the stock c05, which doesnt show any.

I received my turnigy nano-tech 300mah 35C batteries (for the solo pro) for 1.72$ from hobbyking yesterday too. I thought maybe those would be the only batteries to work with the new motor, I was wrong. I have 350mah 20C batteries from rcecho/ebay, I also have zippy 350mah 20C bare cells which work great too. There seems to be no difference in performance between all of them, pitch pumps were all the same. Unfortunately it was late and I needed to sleep before testing how long each battery would fly.

The performance is tremendous! It is too much on a 8t for me, I can only do flips and a little bit of inverted hovers. There is also no bog whatsoever! I had thought my stock c05 with 9t pinion was crazy, I am very impressed with this motor!

I had heard from Dylan over at Asteroid Designs and he had thought the magnets might be improved on the Bockman motor. I cannot test the motor with that can full of magnets since the 1.5mm shaft is pressed into it and as I said before, I have no 1.5mm pinion. When I move the bell/can lightly to make it turn against the magnets , it kinda feels stronger. Its hard to tell though. This motor is different then the c05 although it looks similar there are subtle differences. Its cheap too, only 20.95$ shipped.

I will test a little later since I am waiting for some glue to dry on the heli.

Must READ for those having tail problems, blowing out, not holding

Oh... I have been lucky, I never had a problem with tail blowouts unlike other people.

But with the new motor installed , the tail was really blowing out. More than with my old c05.
I just couldnt figure out why. This happened with my stock c05 and stemmed from installing a brand new genius boom and motor that I had bought as one piece for a replacement. I also installed a 9tooth pinion at the time too. I thought maybe the genius motor was a bit weaker or it was the 9 tooth pinions torque. My previous pinion was a 7tooth. I had thought that maybe the crash that lost my pinion and broke the boom maybe screwed up the mini's rx and maybe thats why the tail was blowing out. LOts of variables.

So i installed a 8t pinion and still had the blowouts. I decided to check over the tail really good and discovered the boom wasnt pushed into the tail motor housing all the way. I pushed it in all the way and glued it. I then did the same on the fusealage side. I decided to check the plug for the tail motor and it seemed loose. So I took the wires out of the plug and bent the tab on the inside of the metal thing that inserts into the plug. I bent it so it would grab the pins on the board better. I could barely push the plug in and felt the metal really grab.

I tested the tail with the new motor and the blowouts were gone!!!!!!!! The most extreme pitch pumps was holding the tail great and this is with Mannys settings. I dont know if my mini is special since the tail has always held. The tail needs to be the correct length!. YOu dont want it too long or too short, but it seemed mine was only off by a few mm. I dont think that would make much of a difference. So maybe the blowouts ad to be there because of the pins being loose in the plug? It is something everyone should check for.

Here is Dylan from Asteroid Designs flying the prototype motor.
Matt Bockman prototype main motor, AEO tail motor, XP-7A DP-3A BLheli (1 min 37 sec)
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Last edited by mescalinedream; Apr 28, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
130 Posts
Completed (successfully) my first flips and rolls just minutes ago! No wind down here today. Sorry, just had to tell somebody . I may have to even try inverted hovering. Maybe I shouldn't get ahead of myself.

Moto
MX48 is offline Find More Posts by MX48
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
This is how tough the mini cp is

morning fellas, i have been reading forums off of rcgroups as well as helifreak for almost a year now and just recently decided to join the club. i appreciate all the advice and learnings from you guys, keep up the good work. i literaly started from nothing and am now able to keep the bird in the air for a good few minutes and even land it thanks to from what i learned here as well as, you know, the crashes...

i got a mini cp not long ago and it seems to be the only heli i can confidently fly. i have a v120d05 and a v120d02s. my v120's after one or two crashes are out of the game until i repair them. the mini cp on the other hand is another story. it flies stable and can take alot of noob abuse. (my mini cp was bought from wow "pro" version, c05 motor and genious gear and around 5 to 6 minute soft flying with a loop or two). i want to vent on how awesome and resilient it is, so here goes:

this heli has put up with loads of pilot error. on its maiden flight she hit the fridge, stove, cabinets, stationary bicycle and my thumb as i tried (and failed) to catch it in mid air. yeah, that part hurt, it busted the front of my nail and tip of my digit open, but nothing crazy. heli was still good.

the next day i took her out of the kitchen and to my workplace, which is a military training flying site for harriers and cobras. business was slow so i flew it around gracefully at around 5 to 10 mph winds (it held damn good) untill i crashed against a building and several hard landings on soft plush grass. the day ended on my third battery when i lost track of it in the horizon against the sun at around 35 to 40 ft in the air, i cut the throttle off and wished for the best. the best did not happen. instead of grass it landed on extra hard airfield matting; the canopy was destroyed, the reciever had one of those white base connectors halfway off, the main shaft collar was cracked and misadjusted, links were off, tail boom was jacked up, the head was cracked, the landing skids popped out, the servo holder was out of place and one servo flew right off... when i walked up to it and saw it the way it was it felt like my first time seeing a dead bird on the street when i was a kid, you know? that sickened gut feeling? i picked up the pieces and ran to catch up with the canopy which was being carried away by the wind. that night at home i put everything back together and adjusted it. i taped the canopy back together, and simply squeezed the white reciever block back in place. to my surprise it flew!!! the cracked tail caused a few noticable wobbles but nothing that would force a crash or move the helicopter out of my control.

since then i have only had to replace the tail boom to get rid of the wobble caused by the mushy and broken one. i still have a completely cracked main shaft collar and it still holds the shaft in place. i still have original everything after around 30 flights with shipped rotor blades still true. the heli is a tank. its is stable and durable for all level of pilots, and can handle the outdoors just as good as indoors. its like.... hmmmmmm;

the mini cp is like, semper fidelis.
the mini cp is like, strong bamboo in wind storm.
the mini cp is like, chuck norris vs adversity.
the mini cp is like, good dreams come true.
the mini cp is like, a syma s107 on steroids and breast implants.
the mini cp is like; a shark in the water, but in reality a heli in the air.
the mini cp is like, a piece of die hard steel! ...but mostly plastic.
the mini cp is like, getting lucky on your first date.
the mini cp is like, ooooohhh, ahhhhhhh.
the mini cp is like.... yeah, im done - we get the point. hopefully its been as good to you all as well. i cant wait what the next generation of heli will be.

all my helis have nicknames.
my v120d05 is my first maiden.
the v120d02s is my trophy jade.
my mini cp? i call her the house wife, as it puts up with everything i throw at her
oh, and i have a lady bird. her nickname is... lady bird.

thats my tuppence worth friends, have a good day.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,013 Posts
ooh rah!

I smell a jarhead!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Mar 2012
248 Posts
Hey guys, so ok I'm convinced on buying the mini cp now, but where is the best place to buy it from, I think I should get the devo8s tx, other than that what else should I order with it , like battery wise , I think 350s are better? And what about a flight sim? This is my first cp heli, what about this walkera sim cable? Is that any good? I hear people saying Phoenix flight sim, can someone with good experience tell me where to order from and what accessories to get? Thanks guys, I'm just an excited noob
Shark_fighter78 is offline Find More Posts by Shark_fighter78