113 Posts
Edit: Not rant but whining over
key bored is offline Find More Posts by key bored
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
I'm trying to install the genius motor but it seems the screw does not go all the way to make it fit snugly. What do I need to do to install this? Also would the genius main gear mesh properly with it or do I need to do something else as well? Thanks in advance for the help.
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:02 PM
ladybird, miniCP, msrx, 4F180
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevTor View Post
I'm trying to install the genius motor but it seems the screw does not go all the way to make it fit snugly. What do I need to do to install this? Also would the genius main gear mesh properly with it or do I need to do something else as well? Thanks in advance for the help.
The motor when I tried it did not work well, it got hot very fast and this was with the genius gear. It would get hot very fast, and then would lose power to the point where it could hardly hover because after 2-3 min it was overheating.
afloyd82 is offline Find More Posts by afloyd82
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:06 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by afloyd82 View Post
The motor when I tried it did not work well, it got hot very fast and this was with the genius gear. It would get hot very fast, and then would lose power to the point where it could hardly hover because after 2-3 min it was overheating.
Thanks afloyd. I was able to install both the genius motor and main gear but it looks like it does not like to lift off (only 1 inch above ground). I think the mesh is too tight. Is it the same for you? This maybe causing your overheating as well.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:47 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by key bored View Post
I have the same problem using Tom Z's beginner settings I think ( not sure if it was intermediate ). I'm still a noob so stunt mode is still a long way away for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-flyer-93 View Post
Edit: Now I have another problem When I switch to idle up 2 (3rd position) it spins as if the tail motor blew out

It sounds like a gyro setting problem.
The gyro can be set for each mode (Normal, ST-1, ST-2) and each mode can have its own gyro setting value.
Make sure each mode has the gyro gain setting high enough or it could spin as if the tail motor blew out in one or more modes.

I use Gyro Mode Auto.

GYRO - MODE- AUTO

Set as high as you can go without getting tail wag.

EX:

NORM - 82.0%

ST 1 - 82.0%

ST 2 - 82.0%

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:14 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy207 View Post
Check out Bytemunchers blog - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=296568 He has compiled some information of mods that should be done. Make sure to use a fresh blade because otherwise the arms will slip much too easily. I would suggest using the o-ring, although even with it, if the slot is too big they will still slip easily.

Ben
I haven't modified the heli as yet, but I have been doing some testing with a HXT900 servo.
I tried doing a cut all the way through and the servo arm, and it does indeed slip too easy.
So I tried filing out one and then two slots only part the way through the servo arm. It seems to work very well on the HXT900, it only jumps teeth when under high load. I wonder if this method would work with the very small arms on the mini CP. I would have to use a very fine file or saw. Anyone try this?
nac is online now Find More Posts by nac
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Levtor, The frames motor holes have to be made a little longer for the the genius motor to fit. I remember doing that to my mini. The mesh should be a little loose. You should be able to move the motor gear the tiniest bit back and forth when the gears are meshed. THe motors gear should rock back and forth a tiny bit,

First enlarge the motor hole, the one closest to the middle of the frame. Then install your motor, YOu may do this a couple of times, each time making the hole a little bigger until the motor fits. When the motor fits make sure you can make the mesh of the motor gear and the main gear tight and loose. Now push on the motor until the motors gear does not wiggle back and forth. Now slowly pull the motor away until you get the slightest wiggle. Then tighten the screws down on the motor. Recheck to see if the motors pinion is still able to move by itself without moving the main gear the tiniest bit. YOu should have bite on the mesh but some wiggle.
i know I went a little overboard on the description, but some people just dont get it sometimes.

Some people say to use a piece of paper inbetween the gear meshes for proper clearance. I did that on my 450 heli. This little motor seems too small for that. So i just make sure the gear wiggle the tiniest it can.

Your genius motor should act like this with MAnnys radio settings
Walkera Mini cp Minicp with Genius Motor and Maingear 240mah 25c (0 min 22 sec)
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Last edited by mescalinedream; Apr 07, 2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:46 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
Levtor, The frames motor holes have to be made a little longer for the the genius motor to fit. I remember doing that to my mini. The mesh should be a little loose. You should be able to move the motor gear the tiniest bit back and forth when the gears are meshed. THe motors gear should rock back and forth a tiny bit,

First enlarge the motor hole, the one closest to the middle of the frame. Then install your motor, YOu may do this a couple of times, each time making the hole a little bigger until the motor fits. When the motor fits make sure you can make the mesh of the motor gear and the main gear tight and loose. Now push on the motor until the motors gear does not wiggle back and forth. Now slowly pull the motor away until you get the slightest wiggle. Then tighten the screws down on the motor. Recheck to see if the motors pinion is still able to move by itself without moving the main gear the tiniest bit. YOu should have bite on the mesh but some wiggle.
i know I went a little overboard on the description, but some people just dont get it sometimes.

Some people say to use a piece of paper inbetween the gear meshes for proper clearance. I did that on my 450 heli. This little motor seems too small for that. So i just make sure the gear wiggle the tiniest it can.

Your genius motor should act like this with MAnnys radio settings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtfTnoW_0u8

thanks for the detailed info mescaline. when you say enlarge the motor hole, did you mean make it longer so to be able to have more clearance to slide the motor back and forth?
Last edited by LevTor; Apr 07, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:30 AM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post
I haven't modified the heli as yet, but I have been doing some testing with a HXT900 servo.
I tried doing a cut all the way through and the servo arm, and it does indeed slip too easy.
So I tried filing out one and then two slots only part the way through the servo arm. It seems to work very well on the HXT900, it only jumps teeth when under high load. I wonder if this method would work with the very small arms on the mini CP. I would have to use a very fine file or saw. Anyone try this?
One time on my Genius I only slid the servo arm about 60% of the way onto the servo (i.e. don't push real hard - it's still easy to install the fixing screw), and it worked just fine and sure enough in an inverted crash, it did slip about two teeth. i popped off the arm, reset, and kept flying. I wonder if it's not totally necessary to cut a slot.
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:00 AM
Dang Plane.
USA
Joined Feb 2006
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
The gyro can be set for each mode (Normal, ST-1, ST-2) and each mode can have its own gyro setting value.
Make sure each mode has the gyro gain setting high enough or it could spin as if the tail motor blew out in one or more modes.

I use Gyro Mode Auto.

GYRO - MODE- AUTO

EX:

NORM - 82.0%

ST 1 - 82.0%

ST 2 - 82.0%

Tom
That fixed it, thanks!
3D-flyer-93 is offline Find More Posts by 3D-flyer-93
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Letor: yes, enough so you can slide it. You dont want to take too much material off the holes. Cut a little and then check to see if the mesh is tight, cut a little more etc.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:00 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
I got my replacement tail motor, who knew I had to solder the wires to the motor... Can anyone tell me which color wire goes to which colored tail motor wire?

Ben
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:12 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy207 View Post
I got my replacement tail motor, who knew I had to solder the wires to the motor... Can anyone tell me which color wire goes to which colored tail motor wire?

Ben

Ben,

Red rx tail motor plug wire goes to the red tail motor wire, black rx tail motor plug wire goes to the copper color tail motor wire.

Tom
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
That fixed it, thanks!
Quote:
Edit: Now I have another problem When I switch to idle up 2 (3rd position) it spins as if the tail motor blew out
Quote:
Originally Posted by key bored View Post
I have the same problem using Tom Z's beginner settings I think ( not sure if it was intermediate ). I'm still a noob so stunt mode is still a long way away for me.

Quote:

I use Gyro Mode Auto.

GYRO - MODE- AUTO

EX:

NORM - 82.0%

ST 1 - 82.0%

ST 2 - 82.0%

Tom

Your welcome. I'm glad you got it working OK now.

I'm sure this is the same problem key bored is having.

Tom
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:22 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Ben,

Red rx tail motor plug wire goes to the red tail motor wire, black rx tail motor plug wire goes to the copper color tail motor wire.

Tom
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I need to know which way the red and copper wires connect to the red and blue tail motor wires. I'm assuming its red to red, but I want to make sure.

Ben
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207