HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:19 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
I meant at full stick travel lowering the gyro gain will speed up the tail. I didn't mean dual rates and expos. I have 0 expo and 125% on my rudder but lowering the gain definitely sped it up. Turn your gyro down to 51 and see what happens, lol.
I tried to fly it the gyros turned off. Very hard to do! Had to turn them back on.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:34 AM
ladybird, miniCP, msrx, 4F180
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
mescalinedream said "he felt that rudder imput was very slow with tomz settings".

This depends which setup guide you use. Some have normal rudder settings and others have fast rudder settings.
I am trying to cover all the settings that everyone can use to start with for Beginners, Intermediate, Advanced, and 3D settings.

Under my custom Mini CP settings I listed these for rudder.

Aggressive 3D settings:

RUDD D/R - 125%, EXP -70 %

I would start at EXP -10 % and work your way up to the EXP -70 % until you get the response you want.

Tom

Thanks again Tom, did not try any 3d today it was gusty here. Gonna wait for a calm day and take my chances then. I decided on 125% DR, -30% EXP for the rudder.
afloyd82 is offline Find More Posts by afloyd82
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:24 AM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2010
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
9. Turnigy 1015 inrunner 11500kv. 5.1g .51ohms. Right speed and right weight, but may not be powerful enough. 10mmx15mm (about same size as stock). This may be the best brushless motor if you are looking for bettery battery life, and don't care for explosive power of the C05.

10. Turnigy 1220 inrunner 10300kv. 8.4g .342 ohms. Right speed, but slightly heavy.

11. Turnigy 1230 inrunner 4500 kv. 14.5g. .473 ohms. - Too slow and too heavy.
I just wanted to add to the comments on Turnigy 1015 inrunner. I got mine a few days ago and tried it out with the Walkera-10A-LT ESC and Turnigy Nano-tech 300mAH mCPX batteries and I've come up with the following:

Pros:
- Decent amount of power (first minute)
- MUCH quieter than the stock Genius motor I was using before
- Same size as the Genius motor = No need to cut canopy
- Uses same screws as Genius/Mini CP motor.
- Heli seems more stable, possibly due to reduction in vibration exibited by Genius motor.

Cons:
- Not a direct fit into the frame, requires very minor cutting in the frame
- Gets very hot within the first minute of flight. (I will try with another ESC later)
- I'm getting roughly 2 1/2 minutes flight time with the Turnigy Nano 300mAH's
- Headspeed seems lower, however I don't have a way of measuring it exactly.

I have a C05M on the way so hopefully that yields better results.
Couchking is online now Find More Posts by Couchking
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:08 AM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
same experience... the 1015 did provide sufficient power. i think similar to stock genius motor, but it runs hot as hell... hotter than the stock motor. when i tested it, the motor got extremely hot in less than 60 seconds of flying. something is not right as it should run a lot cooler. my guess (as i've said before) seems to be with incorrect ESC settings for the motor, or somehow the ESC is pushing it too much power (kind of unlikely) as the motor should draw what it needs.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:54 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
It's too bAd that the walkera esc isnt programmable. You would think there would be more motor and esc options on the market. I had seen a esc the other day for the genius aNd it was labeled 7amps. I cannot remember where though. I have a guy sending me a c05 for a rewind. Hopefully it will yield more power and efficiency over the stock c05.

It's millertime , why don't you list your radio settings. I have a feeling something is amiss with your setup. You had said that your mini has a counter clockwise drift problem. You also have a different tail boom over stock, correct? What is your blades pitch at half stick. Hopefully you have throttle hold turned servo on so the blades pitch but don't spin. I think all the flying problems you are having is due to your setup. Also, where is the screw on the rx at? Some people keep it at 12:00.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:31 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy207 View Post
Check out Bytemunchers blog - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=296568 He has compiled some information of mods that should be done. Make sure to use a fresh blade because otherwise the arms will slip much too easily. I would suggest using the o-ring, although even with it, if the slot is too big they will still slip easily.

Ben
I don't have any O rings, is there any other ways to protect the servos? I am a bit worried that if I cut the servo arms and they start slipping i wont have any spare arms.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:01 AM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post
I don't have any O rings, is there any other ways to protect the servos? I am a bit worried that if I cut the servo arms and they start slipping i wont have any spare arms.
Some have used dental floss, others have used heat shrink tubing. Just order some feathering shafts which come with 2 and you should be okay for a couple days as long as you use a new blade for cutting.

Ben
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Last edited by Benf207; Apr 06, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy207 View Post
... Just order some feathering shafts which come with 2 and you should be okay for a couple days as long as you use a new blade for cutting.

Ben
Why only a couple days?
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:14 PM
Dang Plane.
USA
Joined Feb 2006
415 Posts
So I just got my Mini CP...it hovers at 3/4 stick and normal and idle up...how do I fix this? I have the devo 8S

EDIT: Also I already checked that it was 0* pitch at mid stick
3D-flyer-93 is offline Find More Posts by 3D-flyer-93
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:37 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Why only a couple days?
Well, depending on how much someone crashes it can stress the arms causing them to be looser on the servo.
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
3d flyer what is your throttle curve?
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:27 PM
Dang Plane.
USA
Joined Feb 2006
415 Posts
Quote:
3d flyer what is your throttle curve?
I fixed it in norm mode. I just turn the pitch and throttle up a bit.

It still does it in idle up, though.

100% at full top/bottom, then 85% at mid stick.

Edit: Now I have another problem When I switch to idle up 2 (3rd position) it spins as if the tail motor blew out
3D-flyer-93 is offline Find More Posts by 3D-flyer-93
Last edited by 3D-flyer-93; Apr 06, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,115 Posts
I haven't put mine in Stunt Mode yet, but if mid stick is 0* Pitch, wouldn't about 3/4 stick be about right for hovering?

If not, maybe measure its MAX Pitch, to make certain it's OK?

May also want to measure RPM. If you don't have a Meter, Main Blade RPM can be measured with an Audio Tachometer/Spectrum Analyzer.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:08 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
866 Posts
Quote:
It's millertime , why don't you list your radio settings. I have a feeling something is amiss with your setup. You had said that your mini has a counter clockwise drift problem. You also have a different tail boom over stock, correct? What is your blades pitch at half stick. Hopefully you have throttle hold turned servo on so the blades pitch but don't spin. I think all the flying problems you are having is due to your setup. Also, where is the screw on the rx at? Some people keep it at 12:00.
Replaced the tail boom with a stock one to test. No difference. I thought most all Minis/ Geniuses had the CCW yaw drift? If I turn my rx adjustment pot clockwise I can make it drift CW so a little fine tuning there might cure it. I have 0 pitch for throttle hold but with both motors unplugged I have zero pitch in st. 1 and 2. I adjusted the rx pot both CW and CCW about 45 degrees and went from 82% gain all the way down to 50 and back up to 100. The tail wag will not go away.
itsmillertime is online now Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:25 PM
key bored
Joined Jan 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-flyer-93 View Post
Edit: Now I have another problem When I switch to idle up 2 (3rd position) it spins as if the tail motor blew out
I have the same problem using Tom Z's beginner settings I think ( not sure if it was intermediate ). I'm still a noob so stunt mode is still a long way away for me.

Anyways I have learnt so much by flying outdoors recently, the mini and genius cp both help me to try learn the basics and then I can apply those skills to my v400d02. Its been a depressing 6 weeks on crutches....very little flying because its hard to take your helis and batteries outside especially the v400 while on crutches. And on top of that I have to walk by my gsx r600 that I can't ride for another month even though the weather has been amazing in New York for the past two months!!

Rant over
key bored is online now Find More Posts by key bored
Last edited by key bored; Apr 06, 2012 at 11:36 PM.