HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:14 AM
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1601 View Post
Can anyone enlighten me as to what my problem might be if,

in 'normal' mode doing hard pitch pumps the tail holds perfectly,

but as soon as a put it in 'idle up' mode and do a hard pitch pump it does 360's?..
what pitch travel are you using?
achogg33 is offline Find More Posts by achogg33
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:36 AM
Joined Aug 2009
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub View Post
i use 5% R subtrim which fixes the annoying ccw drift. the only problem it only works after the first battery/flight. makes no sense why walkera can't fix this..
I've had RUD drift come and go. As far as I remember when I've had it, it's always been CCW. Because the drift seems to appear and disappear without any noticeable change in hardware (I have crashes almost every LiPo, have made repairs using CA (Tail Boom, Landing Skid), Gorilla Glue (Tail Motor Holder), and Tape (Canopy bottom) but haven't changed any part at all), I'm starting to think the RUD drift has something to do with how the heli is initialized and then how it takes-off.

I'm now suspecting the below take-off procedures may contribute to the drift:
  • Initializing with TX Trim OFF center
  • Moving Mini's position by hand between initialization and takeoff
  • Taking-off from rough surface
  • Using ANY stick other than Throttle during take off before heli is off the ground

Lately, I've been experimenting and seem to be having consistent success with these procedures:
  • Initialize with ALL TX Trim (except for Throttle) centered (i.e. ZERO Trim and Subtrim - No "Mix to Throttle" or "Program Mix" either)
  • Don't move Mini's position by hand at all once initialization starts (have heli in desired take-off position before LiPo is plugged)
  • Take off from slippery surface (i.e. if Mini wants to rotate before taking off, LET IT COMPLETELY ROTATE UNTIL IT STOPS AND REACHES ITS DESIRED HEADING HOLD POSITION). I used to always take off from carpet, and ever since I've started taking off from a slippery surface, and let it do its "thing" before taking-off, it doesn't seem to have drift anymore.
  • Take off ONLY using Throttle. If for whatever reason the heli is moved by hand, or RUD is used between initialization and take-off, LET Mini COMPLETELY ROTATE UNTIL IT STOPS AND REACHES ITS DESIRED HEADING HOLD POSITION, AND THEN ONLY AFTER Mini HAS STOPPED ROTATING USE THROTTLE TO TAKE-OFF)

It has been difficult for me to make good assessments as to whether the above is true, because I only notice drift when I'm flying slowly, and I normally don't unless I'm just taking off just to check for drift. So far (the last 10? LiPo's), ever since I've been checking my latest assumptions, they seem to be "holding" well.

I've noticed now that I've been following the above procedures, I seem to be taking off without drift, and seem to remain drift free during the entire flight, unless I crash (I rarely land on purpose unless it is time to take out the LiPo). Often after a crash, while following the above take-off procedures, when trying to take-off again, I notice Mini never wants to stop "drifting" CCW while lite on the skids but still on the ground, so I disconnect the LiPo and simply reconnect, and that alone fixes the CCW drift as long as I follow the above take off procedures.

I'm still in testing mode, but if you have a persistent drift that never seems to go away, try implementing the above take-off procedures and see what happens?
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Mar 29, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:42 AM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
if you have any drift just set subtrim in menu (rudder) to R%
it works very well and my tail holds solid but as i mentioned it doesn't work on the first flight for some reason, only when you fly it then land and reconnect the battery.. so i just fly the first pack with the drift... don't know but i would guess walkera could fix it with a firmware upgrade, but the question is will they....
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:22 AM
Australia, QLD, Clontarf
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by achogg33 View Post
what pitch travel are you using?
65% pitch travel, which seems to be a universal setting for all 3 modes (N, S1 & S2), you can't set it individually for each mode on the devo 8 by the looks of it.

EDIT: & gyro gain is at 77%, same as my normal mode setting which holds the tail fine.
brad1601 is offline Find More Posts by brad1601
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Try using mannys settings here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post20571242 and see if that doesnt fix things.

I always turn on the radio, then plug the heli in. Sometimes the heli is at an angle. As in on skid maybe off the ground. It depends if the battery cable isnt sitting right under the heli. I have also flown on many uneven surfaces. I dont think it matters if the heli is perfectly flat right after the battery is plugged in. At least it doesnt matter to my heli. My old blade msr needed to be perfectly flat or would fly all messed up.

Hopefully your rx isnt messed up causing it to spin in idle up.

Fraggle_Corp or to anyone else who wants to know how I fixed the Mini's rx board with the broken coil. I had remembered MX48 saying he just took some wire and soldered it onto the board where the coil had been. I pmed him and asked what size wire and how long he had used. A reply of 8 inches of the red/clear mini's/genius tail wire. I have some red enameled wire that size. I wrapped it around a small drill bit to make a coil. I then heated the solder under the remaining ceramic of what was left of the coil. Benboys coil had broken the middle with the wire and the top. Leaving just the base. You can either take a dremel and carefully grind away at this base until you get to the board. Or you can file it , or take a razor and carefully chip away at it. After the base is removed you will see two large soldering points. Solder each wire of your coil to each solder pad.
You could probably get away with using less wire and thinner. I just didnt feel like experimenting with someones RX. I then used white gorilla glue(2x faster) and covered the coil. I have pushed and pulled and it will not budge. I have only glued the base of my coil. I was afraid of heat. I had also thought that in a crash that the whole coil comes off. Maybe sometimes it does but sometimes it doesnt. So I suggest covering the existing coil in epoxy or my favorite: white 2x faster gorilla glue. Only a tiny bit since this stuff really expands while drying.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:21 AM
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Ok, now I understand better what is this red mass.

I guess the wire taken from an old headphone could also do the job.

Thank you for taking time to explain.
Fraggle_Corp is offline Find More Posts by Fraggle_Corp
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:49 PM
Dang Plane.
USA
Joined Feb 2006
415 Posts
What setting should I run my Mini CP with Devo 8S on?

Like d/r, throttle curve in norm/3D
3D-flyer-93 is offline Find More Posts by 3D-flyer-93
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:02 PM
ladybird, miniCP, msrx, 4F180
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
Ive been flying with my throttle trim at 50%. Should I have it set to 0% trim on the throttle? It seems to fly fine with no CCW drift etc, just saw above where someone said to set throttle trim to zero.
afloyd82 is offline Find More Posts by afloyd82
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
i just bought my mini cp with devo 8s from Bob at HeliRC. Very nice guy. package has bonus RX801 receiver included which is nice since can use it in one of my planes. will definitely buy from him again.

could somebody post a pic of what areas of the receiver/esc I should be applying hot glue on? also, if I hot glue the coil, will it be more susceptible for damage in a crash since it will be more heavier? I will also be doing the servo saver mod. what else should I be doing to prep my mini cp?
LevTor is offline Find More Posts by LevTor
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:50 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Thanks Mescalinedream for fixing my Rx!

So I have 2 servos now that both work fine when I move the stick quickly, but when I do super slow stick movements they move or freeze up. Is anyone familiar with this?

Ben
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:17 PM
key bored
Joined Jan 2012
108 Posts
Two crashes today!! First I dropped/slammed my heli on the roof of the awning and split my canopy in two and pulled the canopy mounting rod out but was able to push it back in

Second crash was my genius cp slamming into a wall and breaking the landing skid and further cracking the gorilla glue coated canopy

I was then too afraid to fly my v400d02 since it already has vibration problem after its last encounter with the fence........Oh yeah, did I mention I was a noob. What makes it worse is having to constantly retrieve crashed helis while using crutches
key bored is offline Find More Posts by key bored
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
Just noticed my pitch curves all went to 100% and my pitch ta was also at 100%. No wonder my tail didn't hold...

The pitch pumps were awesome though .
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:29 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Benboy, take apart those servos and check the gears. My gears were missing teeth and would only work with fast stick inputs.

Levtor.
there is the coil in the bottom right hand corner of the mini's rx when facing it. it is a round spool of reddish colored wire. Cover it in glue. I recommend 2x white gorilla glue. Its much lighter then hot glue. Now glue the base of your battery cables. Now glue the little black wire in the top right corner facing the mini's rx. Glue it either along the top of the board or along the side. Make sure the end of the black wire is glued. There is a chance for that wire to touch something it shouldnt. Make sure everything is tightened up.

If you do use hot glue on your coil there shouldnt be a problem. The heavier the heli is = the more damage in a crash. This little heli flies better and longer when its lighter.

3D-FLYER-93
Use mannys settings for extreme throws. It says for a devo12 but I am using it in a devo7 go here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post20571242
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Last edited by mescalinedream; Mar 30, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:40 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
Use mannys settings for extreme throws. It says for a devo12 but I am using it in a devo7 go here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post20571242
I will make a note of this. I have Mannys settings in my RX/TX sticky.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1325037

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,269 Posts
Managed my first full battery without crashing doing 3D today. Took off, did flips and rolls, sports circuits, some more flips and rolls and landed. No crashes. TWICE. Who says 4 channels helis learn you bad habits. Been flying only 4 channels for 2 weeks and when I got back to my CP helis today, I did better than EVER. Weird...

Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor