HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:51 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Both kits come with the pinions on the motors, the Wow kit is the only one that comes with the genius main gear (and only Mini CP specific kit comes with it) which you would need to install on the helis main shaft, its the big plastic gear thay the motor drives.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:54 PM
ladybird, miniCP, msrx, 4F180
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
Both kits come with the pinions on the motors, the Wow kit is the only one that comes with the genius main gear (and only Mini CP specific kit comes with it) which you would need to install on the helis main shaft, its the big plastic gear thay the motor drives.
yea, my bad I was only referring to the pinion on the motor, Ive had the main gear off many times. I like the GCP gear more than the MCP gear simply because it gives more flight time. I like the extra headspeed of the MCP gear though. 200rpm is a difference for sure.
afloyd82 is offline Find More Posts by afloyd82
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
I am using mannys settings itsmillertime. if that tells you pitch. -20-0-100% for normal I hover at the first line past half stick

afloyed I have the esc and motor from the double brushless kit if you want to buy it. heck i have the whole double brushless kit everything is used though. i installed it into the mini to try it out then took it all apart. I also unsoldered the esc apart to use it.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:12 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
With my blades folded back and main motor unplugged my blades almost touch the tail boom.
Your pitch TA should be somewhere around 55-65% if you're running 100 on your pitch curve (e.g. 0-100 in normal mode, or -100 -> +100 in idle up). I think most people use ta to set the pitch.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
My ta is at 70% per Manny's settings. That may be it! Hopefully I'll get my replacement motor screws soon and will be able to fly it some more.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:17 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Yeah, manny's pit ta is high as his collective management is god-like...definitely not a stick banger.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:29 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
564 Posts
anyone try the C05XL from hobbyking? got one on order.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:35 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
I almost got one but from Hobbyking's description it looks like it handles less current than the c05m.

Hobbyking c05xl description:

Kv (rpm/v) 10800
Weight (g) 6.8
Max Current (A) 4
Resistance (mh) 0
Max Voltage (V) 4
Power(W) 40
Shaft A (mm) 2
Length B (mm) 15 ,
Diameter C (mm) 14
Can Length D (mm) 9
Total Length E (mm) 22

co5 description
Kv (rpm/v) 11000
Weight (g) 4.6
Max Current (A) 7
Resistance (mh) 0
Max Voltage (V) 42
Power(W) 60
Shaft A (mm) 2
Length B (mm) 11
Diameter C (mm) 14
Can Length D (mm) 5
Total Length E (mm) 17
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Aug 2009
4,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
I see you're using a Gcp RX on the Mcp. How's that working out?
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:42 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
I like it. I haven't flown it enough to determine if it's up to par with my mini proper, but so far it's a lot of fun. As for the pitch servo issue (signal is reversed on the genius rx) I kind of half-a$$ed it using two linkages ca'ed together.

If you want to do it right should take the pitch servo apart and reverse it internally. If I get motivated I'll do that but for now flying it as is.

Also, tipstar said his mechanical version (long linkage on pitch servo) and electrical version (servo reversed internally) flew the same.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:40 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....ght=c05+rewind

I pmed this guy to see if he experimented more with rewinding. He says the c05 wire diameter is maybe 34g which means my wire is maybe 32 or 30. I am thinking my enameled spool of wire is 32. It is thcker than the c05 wire but same size as the red/clear wire going to the tail on the mini. I am really thinking about rewinding with whatever turns i can pack in there. I only have two other motors though and dont prefer them. The stock mini and the dble brushless. I was thinking of rewiring the dble brushless but it looks to be filled pretty good with copper. I know dr.kiwi who is a motor rewind guy on here has found out that neater winds equal more efficiency. I hate rewinding though. It hurts my fingers and i get scared of shorts

Anyone know how many grams of thrust the c05 is giving on the mini? With what gears? anyone know of any other motors thrust values on the mini? That will give a good baseline. I need to find an article on how to build a thrust stand. I have a nice 0.00g scale.
Last edited by mescalinedream; Mar 26, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:23 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post

Anyone know how many grams of thrust the c05 is giving on the mini? With what gears? anyone know of any other motors thrust values on the mini? That will give a good baseline. I need to find an article on how to build a thrust stand. I have a nice 0.00g scale.

I have thrust listed for the stock motor and C05 with different batteries in my Mini CP review.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1616585

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
I did a thrust test with my mini on stock battery with c05 1mmshaft 7tooth pinion on a genius main gear. I got 107.5 grams of full negative thrust. Tomz reported 101grams with 9t with genius maingear. So we know what the c05 can do stock. I am really wondering what rewinding this motor will do. The stock mini's motor is 79.5 grams full negative thrust. Tomz reported that stock mcpx thrust is 96.3 grams, he also said in another thread that with the mcpx on a c05 he got only 97.5grams of thrust. weird Another guy posted 120grams of thrust for the c05 v2 for the mcpx
The reason why I post the mcpx numbers is because its similar to our minis. My mini's weight with lightened canopy is 36.95 grams with c05 and lt walkera esc.
The mcpx weight stock is 38.5grams. Someone also reported the thrust for the hp08 rewound on the mcpx was 244 grams.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Quote:

I pmed this guy to see if he experimented more with rewinding. He says the c05 wire diameter is maybe 34g which means my wire is maybe 32 or 30. I am thinking my enameled spool of wire is 32. It is thcker than the c05 wire but same size as the red/clear wire going to the tail on the mini. I am really thinking about rewinding with whatever turns i can pack in there. I only have two other motors though and dont prefer them. The stock mini and the dble brushless. I was thinking of rewiring the dble brushless but it looks to be filled pretty good with copper. I know dr.kiwi who is a motor rewind guy on here has found out that neater winds equal more efficiency. I hate rewinding though. It hurts my fingers and i get scared of shorts

Quote:
I did a thrust test with my mini on stock battery with c05 1mmshaft 7tooth pinion on a genius main gear. I got 107.5 grams of full negative thrust. Tomz reported 101grams with 9t with genius maingear. So we know what the c05 can do stock. I am really wondering what rewinding this motor will do. The stock mini's motor is 79.5 grams full negative thrust. Tomz reported that stock mcpx thrust is 96.3 grams, he also said in another thread that with the mcpx on a c05 he got only 97.5grams of thrust. weird Another guy posted 120grams of thrust for the c05 v2 for the mcpx
The reason why I post the mcpx numbers is because its similar to our minis. My mini's weight with lightened canopy is 36.95 grams with c05 and lt walkera esc.
The mcpx weight stock is 38.5grams. Someone also reported the thrust for the hp08 rewound on the mcpx was 244 grams.
For the wire size just measure the OD with calipers and look it up here allowing for a little insulation thickness:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

Thrust numbers are not absolutes due to differerent wiring, escs, connectors and batteries and maybe different pitches and gearing when measuring. Most setups won't hold max thrust for more than 10 seconds or so.

Good Luck, Don
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
486 Posts
Has anyone heard a release date for the Genius FP?
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH