HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
I can offer you a repair, i repaired superglueds rx.

i812 I use white gorilla glue. Great lightweight stuff. It expands after you smear it on to cover everything. Holds great. I use it for cracks in the canopy, they dont crack again!
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:20 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
I do not have the coil though, but if you can do it without I'm interested.

Ben
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
i had heard that a strait wire can be used for the coil

i think itsmillertime or someone else on here just took some wire maybe they coiled it up, maybe they didnt. you could try , Or i could, Doesnt matter
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post
I broke the top off my coil and decided to just junk it (the coil not the board). Removed the bottom piece of coil that was left on the board with soldering iron. I decided not to get too technical with it so I took an old teflon coated tail motor wire and wrapped it around a small piece of broken tail boom.

Under the coil are 2 pretty decent sized soldering areas, so I soldered the ends down and sealed it with hot glue. I have over 10 flights on it and it works perfectly so far.

No pics because it looks absolutely horrible . But it works.

Moto

see that
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
walkera should send out replacement RX for screwed up coils... it's absurd they charging $70-80 for a RX and stuff is falling off it.. added to the fact it probably cost them $2 to make these boards.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy207 View Post
Well this sucks... My coil is missing and in trying to resolder the battery wires, they are no longer connected. I'm pretty sure this rx is trashed I really don't want to spend $70...
Edit: I typed this before reading above posts ---> You completely lost the Coil, as in can't find it?

If someone wants to purchase a Mini RX, I have 100% new one that I'd sell for a little less than "cost". If interested just send me a PM.

However, if all you need is a new coil, didn't want to roll your own, then you probably could purchase a pre-rolled one from Digi-Key for less than $1 + shipping. I looked at their website to see if I could tell you the part number, but I don't know enough about the different choices to select the correct one. the LTIZ Data Sheet gave a few different recommendations. Maybe tonight I'll re-look at the Data Sheet, and see which one matches with what is on the Mini RX.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Mar 25, 2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Edit
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
... i812 I use white gorilla glue. Great lightweight stuff. It expands after you smear it on to cover everything. Holds great. I use it for cracks in the canopy, they dont crack again!
White Gorilla Glue will adhere to Tail Motor even when it gets very hot?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
yeah, I have take the rubber end off my motor and glued the wires in place to save weight. Plus the motor doesnt get that hot.

Anyone know why the genius brushed motor doesnt have brushes? When i took my super powered genius brushed motor apart it only had metal fingers that held the end of the motor. No brushes that wear out. I loved using my genius motor in my mini since it gave me longer flight times and I had all the power that the c05 gave. I am using my c05 now and only have flight times of about 3 minutes. Anyone have dead genius motors they want to give me? I need the end cap. I am also wondering why so many genius motors die other then the wires breaking. Thats what happened to mine. Since there are no brushes to wear out, what wears out?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:55 PM
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
130 Posts
Coil

Ya, I'm the one who rolled my own coil. Probably have another 10-15 flights on it and still working so I am not worried about messing up the board. However the telemetry may not work afterwards, I have a Devo6 so no telemetry anyway.

From your brief description it doesn't sound as if you ruined the board. If you don't have the soldering skills sounds like mescalinedream can help you out.

I use hot glue on my tail motor and tail fin, works pretty good. It may melt when it gets 100 degrees in the summer here tho, w'ell see.

Quote:
Anyone have dead genius motors they want to give me? I need the end cap.
I tried putting a new end cap on a couple of my GCP motors and every time it would burn out those little "fingers". Smelled really strange.

Moto
MX48 is offline Find More Posts by MX48
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
nevermind, i took the motor all apart. I see what wears out is what the little fingers touch. The fingers gouged out a considerable gouge and thats how these little motors give out. I bet if they made that part out of the same material as the fingers then these little motors would never give out.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
yeah, I have take the rubber end off my motor and glued the wires in place to save weight. Plus the motor doesnt get that hot.

Anyone know why the genius brushed motor doesnt have brushes? When i took my super powered genius brushed motor apart it only had metal fingers that held the end of the motor. No brushes that wear out. I loved using my genius motor in my mini since it gave me longer flight times and I had all the power that the c05 gave. I am using my c05 now and only have flight times of about 3 minutes. Anyone have dead genius motors they want to give me? I need the end cap. I am also wondering why so many genius motors die other then the wires breaking. Thats what happened to mine. Since there are no brushes to wear out, what wears out?
IMO, exposing the edges of the Tail Motor wires over the sharp edge of Tail Motor is asking for trouble. Better to add some cushioning between Tail Motor, wires, and outside world. Also, when the mSR first came out, it's Tail Motor End Cap would easily pop off with almost the slightest impact. I think most people were able to get a new $15 Tail Assembly just by calling up and complaining about how easy it was for the Tail Motor Cap to pop off if the Tail Motor Shaft was gently hit on end. Everyone that bought the first batch put their own protective Tail Motor End Cap "cover" (something that held the Tail Motor's End Cap more securely to the Tail Motor Housing). After a few months, mSRs were all being shipped from the factory with Tail Motor End Cap Covers.

I think the fastest way to prematurely wear out a Motor with tiny metal "whisker" brushes is to force the Motor to spin, while stopping the Shaft. IMO, if and when this happens, too much current goes through the tiny metal "whiskers" and melts them. I haven't seen Walkera Motor "whiskers" but the mSR Tail Motor has about 4, and once 1 melts, it takes even less to melt the remaining 3.
Last edited by i812; Mar 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:23 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Itsmillertime, cant you goto a local hobby shop and get screws for the mcpx? MAybe one of those might fit, or try looking around the house to take things apart?

I hope the plastic balls dont snap on my servo arms, I bought 3 replacement servos for the mini from Bob at helirc store. All he had at the time was genius servos , so the only extra arms I got were genius. I dont own a genius either. If I do break a ball off the arm and need to use genius arms then I will try genius links. Would there be a problem with that?

I used the Genius CP servo arms on my Mini CP. They work fine.
They will clear the other servos but only by a tiny amount which was enough on mine.
Here is a picture. The problem is the links are on an angle instead of being
vertical like the Mini CP servo arms make the links.
So with the links being on an angle is it OK for 3D flight?
It was fine for regular flight for me.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 10, 2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:06 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
Do they come with the arms and screws? If so, can you part with a couple of the screws?
The Rotor Head comes with two screws that are the same size as the
servo arm screws except they a little bit longer (1/2mm or so).
I just tried one in my servo and it fits great.
For $2.95 you can get the two screws VS. $33.90 for two servos.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
I already bought a rotor head set and used those screws to replace the rx screws I lost. I'm flying now without any screws on the pitch or aileron servos but would like to replace them. I emailed Walkera about buying some. We'll see... What pitch are you co5 guys running to keep the tail to hold. Mine kicks out quite a bit on pitch pumps and completely blows out on a "spirited" launch.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
The problem is the links are on an angle instead of being
vertical like the Mini CP servo arms make the links.
So with the links being on an angle is it OK for 3D flight?
It was fine for regular flight for me.
I think it should fly fine. Also, it looks like your aileron's servo linkage is pushed too far over the swash ball.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher