HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:36 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
I would avoid cutting it if it were me, so unless it's causing an issue I don't see the need.
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
yeah actually you're right ... don't need to cut it. i thought it would hit the landing gear but enough clearance it seems.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Last edited by scub; Mar 21, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
the stock motor screws seem to fit the c05 but are they too long? think i might have to grind them a little as they appear to go too deep into the motor.. anyone else have to shorten them?
Last edited by scub; Mar 21, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:10 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Yeah, a couple have posted that they needed to grind them down to avoid going too deep into the motor.

Ben
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:35 AM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
Finally got my esc. I used the stock motor screws and they fit my 1.5mm shaft c05 perfectly. Everything works but didn't get a chance to fly it tonight. How's the install look?

I removed the motor temp sensor plug to make it fit more flush and now I'm thinking about removing all the servo and motor plugs and hardwiring them.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:09 AM
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
How's the install look?
almost as good as mine

where did you get the 1.5mm shaft, or you have the XL? i didn't have to cut the frame for mesh, did you? then again my shaft is 1mm with 8T.

a sheet of paper barely fits between the motor and servo, it doesn't appear to be touching though.. what a close fit.
Last edited by scub; Mar 22, 2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:17 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
I removed the motor temp sensor plug to make it fit more flush and now I'm thinking about removing all the servo and motor plugs and hardwiring them.
I also removed that sensor plug and thought about hardwiring the motors to the board. But hardwiring the servos, that's pretty hard core

Btw, what's on your servo savers? Looks like some funky green stuff...dental floss?
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,982 Posts
Main Shaft fabrication questions

A few Mini newbie questions:

What is keeping the Main Gear on? Is it simply press/friction fitted on the Main Shaft?

Has anyone fabricated their own Main Shaft from 2.5 mm CF Rod? I haven't taken my Mini apart yet; however, it looks like all that would be required is to cut the Rod to desired length, drill the Rotor Head screw hole(s) at proper location(s), and tap threads into the Rotor Head screw holes?

I recently split my Mini's Tail Boom, and now plan on ordering a meter length of 2 mm square CF Tube from RCFoam for $2.50 + $8.00 shipping for use as DIY Tail Boom material. I can add a meter length of 2.5 mm CF Rod to the order for an additional $2.50 without incurring extra shipping cost. However, I don't know if I'd be saving $ adding 2.5 mm CF Rod to the order, because I don't recall anyone reporting a Mini's Main Shaft breaking or bending, and therefore may not have a need to use the 2.5 mm CF Rod. Another possible problem may be RCFoam's CF Rod is too out of round and rough to be used as a Main Shaft (my LHS has 2.5 mm CF Rod having a "Midwest Products Co., Inc." label, but it's not very round and smooth in diameter, and appears to be more "strandy" lengthwise than the Mini's stock Main Shaft. Finally, I don't have experience drilling and tapping into CF Rod, and am concerned about proper positioning/drilling of the Rotor Head's screw hole(s) at the "highest" centering point of the Rod's diameter (maybe the hole(s) can be correctly positioned and centered if first the Rod is installed into a Rotor Head, and use the Rotor Head's existing thru-holes as a drill guide?), and how well the CF Rod will hold a tap's threads? Any thoughts/ideas?
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Mar 22, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
you have a genius, right? the shaft is the same and held on the same way.. friction fitted. i don't think the cf shaft damages that easy but you can definitely make one if you buy the 2.5mm rods.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:24 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
How are you guys removing the main gear without damaging the gear or the rotor head if your pulling up on it to remove the main gear?

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Nov 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
How are you guys removing the main gear without damaging the gear or the rotor head if your pulling up on it to remove the main gear?

Tom
I don't pull up on the head. I use a small screw driver to gently pry down on the top of the gear at the main shaft . Done this many times with no damage.

Steve
Gryffandor is offline Find More Posts by Gryffandor
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
That sounds good. I use that method. Thanks Steve.

Tom
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post

Tom
i slide a tweezers between gear and frame, pops right evenly.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Thanks scub for taking the picture for me. I'll have to get some thin tweezers.

I'll add a link to your post and Gryffandors post to my review for " How to remove
the main gear".

Tom
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:55 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub View Post
i slide a tweezers between gear and frame, pops right evenly.
That's exactly how I do it as well. Mini gear is more durable, but when I did this with the genius gear had to be a little careful.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher