HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
never4mind
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Last edited by mescalinedream; Mar 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Jan 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3liN00B View Post
Because I own already a Devo transmitter, my two favourites are either the Mini CP or alternatively the Genius CP, upgraded with the official Walkera double brushless upgrade kit.
Please tell me your opinions and your recommendations about those two choices. Just to mention, I'm not fancy about this new telemetry gadget. I just like to have a nice indoor heli with quite good 3D capabilities.

Which one should I take?

Notker
i taught myself to fly a CP heli with the genius cp. i wouldn't recommend that to anyone! it was extremely difficult to even learn how to hover. but having had that experience, the mini cp is a blast to fly. if you are comfortable with CP heli's already, i would recommend the Mini CP over the genius any day of the week. i'm currently flying the genius CP main gear in my mini cp with the brushed mini motor and i like it, i tried flying with the genius motor but didn't really see much of an improvement. Like mescalinedream said, the double brushless kit from walkera is TRASH. at least mine is, the black wire leading to the tail motor wasn't even soldered correctly, which apparently is a common problem, also, i couldn't fly the genius at all with the double brushless kit. the tail cogged so horribly, that if i gave it any left rudder input the rotor would just stop and the heli would spin out. the C05 main brushless mod for the genius is a good modification. i currently have the C05 on my genius and it's fun to fly.

like it's been said a million times in this thread already, flight times are pretty crappy with stock batteries on the mini, so if you go the mini route, upgrade to some better batteries (i need to buy a few new ones myself, maybe some 300+mah 25c's)

TL;DR: mini > genius
ilotek is offline Find More Posts by ilotek
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Jun 2011
6,657 Posts
I have two motors for sale. One Genius CP stock motor, new in package (comes with a 9T pinion). 8$ shipped. I also have a Mini CP stock motor. It has the telemetry thingy on it. Only 3 flights to it. Like new. 8$ shipped.

First come first serve.

Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:13 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
I got the 003 Buna 90 o-rings that mescalinedream suggested and I don't see how they could possibly fit over a servo arm. Then again I don't have a mini CP yet.

Ben
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:42 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy207 View Post
I got the 003 Buna 90 o-rings that mescalinedream suggested and I don't see how they could possibly fit over a servo arm. Then again I don't have a mini CP yet.

Ben
The buna o-rings replace the walkera o-rings in the head assembly. The walkera o-rings (mushy and flexible) go over the servo arms. Check my blog for more info, it also lists other methods for adding tension if you don't have or want to use o-rings.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:23 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
The buna o-rings replace the walkera o-rings in the head assembly. The walkera o-rings (mushy and flexible) go over the servo arms. Check my blog for more info, it also lists other methods for adding tension if you don't have or want to use o-rings.
Oh okay, at least they won't go to waste.

Ben

Edit: Just to clarify, If I buy a feathering shaft set for the mini CP, I can take those o-rings and use them for the servo saver mod, and then just replace the feathering shaft o-rings withe the buna ones?
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Last edited by Benf207; Mar 10, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
285 Posts
i was curious if this esc could be made to work on the mini cp:

http://helircstore.com/shop/index.ph...product_id=540

its listed weight is quite a bit lighter than the walkera one, at 2.1g. but it has more wires? in the pictures it looks that way. a bit more expensive too, but might be worth it. if it would work...
flint723 is online now Find More Posts by flint723
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:03 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy207 View Post
Just to clarify, If I buy a feathering shaft set for the mini CP, I can take those o-rings and use them for the servo saver mod, and then just replace the feathering shaft o-rings with the buna ones?
Correct.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post

its listed weight is quite a bit lighter than the walkera one, at 2.1g. but it has more wires? in the pictures it looks that way. a bit more expensive too, but might be worth it. if it would work...
Benmlee's website describes the differences between the different Walkera ESC's, as well as provides alternative solutions with weight comparisons for converting from Brushed to Brushless.

The Converter/ESC combo you posted looks like it might be one of the ones he's commented about.

Here's a link to Benmlee's website: http://benmlee.com/Genius_Brushless.htm
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Jun 2011
6,657 Posts
For those of you who are tired of the Walkera feathering shaft o-rings, I have good news. For me anyways, I hate the Walkera o-rings. They wear out incredibly fast and the heli starts to wobble.

Well, the Solo Pro 125 feathering shaft o-rings are identical size but they are a different material. They are much harder and longer lasting. Like 10 times better. Also, you do not need to buy feathering shafts. The 0-rings are selling separately in packages of 8. This is awesome because I was getting tired of buying Walkera feathering shafts just because I only need the o-rings.

Tried, tested and true.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilotek View Post
... do the flames help the heli fly faster?
BocaBearing.com has an entire product line called "Lightning Lube" deditcated to help make RC Heli's fly faster: http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-.../rc-helicopter

Quote:

Q. Does it fly faster?

A. It has a lightning bolt on it, doesn't it?
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Mar 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:02 AM
Gaui X2 & Protos Mini FBL
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post

Oversky RC sells similar converter for Genius CP:

http://www.overskyrc.com/index.php?g...0&productname=

It works but the 3-pin connector is loose. I have soldered motor wires directly to the connector. Otherwise motor will cut occasionally.
Picofly is offline Find More Posts by Picofly
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Just stick with the wks-10a-lt or get the esc that comes in the double brushless kit seperately . It has two esc's soldered together. Just unsolder one and use it. The esc you listed at helircstore is for the mcpx which is different.

About the orings....
People are using this washer set http://www.oomodel.com/450-helicopte...9-p-60999.html (using the smallest shim) when using those orings in place of the stock walkera rubber o-rings. if you do not use this washer then the head will be loose. You can file down each side of the feathering shaft a hair ON EACH Side. Do this only if you are not using the washers with the buna orings.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:44 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
BocaBearing.com has an entire product line called "Lightning Lube" deditcated to help make RC Heli's fly faster: http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-.../rc-helicopter

Quote:

Q. Does it fly faster?

A. It has a lightning bolt on it, doesn't it?

You think they sell enough kinds of lube?

I am surprised that they dont sell finger/thumb lube and heat reducer for those that are hot on the sticks!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Oct 2011
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
For those of you who are tired of the Walkera feathering shaft o-rings, I have good news. For me anyways, I hate the Walkera o-rings. They wear out incredibly fast and the heli starts to wobble.

Well, the Solo Pro 125 feathering shaft o-rings are identical size but they are a different material. They are much harder and longer lasting. Like 10 times better. Also, you do not need to buy feathering shafts. The 0-rings are selling separately in packages of 8. This is awesome because I was getting tired of buying Walkera feathering shafts just because I only need the o-rings.

Tried, tested and true.

Best,
Chris
hey mate do you know if the solo pro 125 canopy will fit on the Mini cp?
achogg33 is offline Find More Posts by achogg33