HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:18 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Had time to do the hp05s conversion today. Tails does go blowout a litle but not near like the genius did.
It is a super power heli now...just need to do a few more adjustments and it should be quite solid.

http://youtu.be/ohSHq3Pdo-o?hd=1
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
130 Posts
If anyone burns out the MOSFET that controls the main and tail motors by the wires touching this is the replacement.

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...ACT-ND/1849916

Need to be a good solderer tho, I am not.

Moto
MX48 is offline Find More Posts by MX48
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:53 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
I did some playing around with numbers for the stock brushed motor on this heli. It looks to be around 11,000 KV. I know someone was looking for this number earlier, think it was bytemuncher.

Thanks for the fets spec, they arent to bad of a job to replace, a little easier to do than the mcp-x fets IMO, just desolder one 4 leg side at a time with a iron, using a little mini flat screwdriver as a wedge under the chip. With enough heat all 4 legs will pop-up, but dont force it and take the board traces up with the chip......Then do the other side, and then resolder one side back at a time with the new chip.. You can solder the drains together on one side, but source and gate cant short.... Walkera loves to use these Fairchild power FETS since the Walkera 4# FP These are rated at 7.5A
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:16 PM
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
130 Posts
Quote:
You can solder the drains together on one side, but source and gate cant short
I don't understand this sentence. Explain it as if you were telling a 55 year old . What is a drain and gate.

Moto
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:35 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
This FDS6890 is in a S0-8 package, 8 legs on it - surface mount. 2 Sources, 2 Gates and 4 Drains. The the gate opens the drain from the amplified source, so basically the drain pins are the power output pins, and its just a fast amplifying switch. A lot of times you will see a big glob of solder on the drains of these chips on ESC's to enable more conductivity, since on a high amp draw they can actually come off the board.

Anyway on this chip below of you look at the datasheet you can see the pinout, S1,G1, S2,G2 then D1,D1,D2,D2. S = source G = Gate D = Drain. Id feel better if i had a close up picture of the board in question before saying for sure... but im thinking you can solder the drains together and it wouldnt be a problem, but, you cant short the source and the gate pins.

Also the little dot on top of the chip is your S1 reference pin on where to install the chip to match the pinout of where the old one is now.

Hope that helps, the way I look at these things is if you have a bad board now and you screw it up the worse that can happen is you will still have a bad board. The best that can happen is you will have a fixed board for 6.00. I did this before on a Walkera 4# RX/esc 4 in 1 board before, only I upgraded the fets to a 20A output, then i could use higher C batteries and 3S lipos without worrying about blowing the onboard esc's
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:44 PM
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
130 Posts
Thanks, I think I'm gettin' it. Will give it a go tomorrow.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:35 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Had time to do the hp05s conversion today. Tails does go blowout a litle but not near like the genius did.
It is a super power heli now...just need to do a few more adjustments and it should be quite solid.
Awesome flying. Your blowouts didn't look bad at all...just a few degree kick out. I should have mentioned I was using a 350mah 25c lipo in the 8t video. With the stock lipo looks more like yours. I extended the boom to 150mm and it holds way better, like in your vid...although I'm not nearly at your level so can't test it as thoroughly.

I'm going to try 140mm tonight and see if it still holds. I'm using 55% pit TA and will try to go higher. Yours looked good even at 60%.

Curious what other adjustments you're going to make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
I did some playing around with numbers for the stock brushed motor on this heli. It looks to be around 11,000 KV. I know someone was looking for this number earlier, think it was bytemuncher.
Yup, that was me. Thanks for this. I suspected it was somewhere around that number.

I'm guessing ~13,500kv would be the max suitable for the mini (w/ 7t pinion) as you can only gear it down so far, and if it's an outrunner then you are limited by space (aileron servo placement) as well.

When I used the c05 w/ 7t pinion I had to do a fair amount of dremeling on the aileron servo to prevent rubbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achogg33 View Post
I am using a HP03s motor on my mini cp with 8t pinion is a bit smoother and a tad more powerful than the c05m a little lighter too however it does bog easier than the c05m but not as much as you think.
Curious what the kv rating on that HP03s is. Also, have you tried a 7t pinion with it? Wonder if it might help with the bogging.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Last edited by bytemuncher; Mar 08, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:09 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Anyone else tethering the pitch links? I think it was suggested a few pages back. Working great for me, already logged a few saves. Don't want my 1yo eating these.

Those stupid front legs on the lg break off so easily. You might as well go ahead and break them off before you put the lg on.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:09 PM
Michigan
Joined Jul 2009
34 Posts
Just an update on my Mini Cp(s)

Second BNF one I boughtflies great! pitch was just a bit off, handles really well. Has a little cw drift most of the time, sometimes its not there at all but its not enough to bother me yet. Tail is so much more solid than the mcpx I've been flying, for some reason that thing blows out on me constantly.

First Mini CP had the broken rotor cap and hard drift I was trying to adjust out of. The feathering shaft was bent so badly I couldn't get the blade grips off without mangling them. Had to hammer the bushing off, it was pretty bad. It never had a crash or hard landing. Died in the air, coil fell off the RX. Thing really took a beating at some point in transit. Coil must have been hanging on by a thread since I pulled it out of the box.

Helircstore did replace the rotor cap, grips and feathering shaft. Didn't do anything for me on the receiver/coil though besides tipping me off on the 10$ price drop for the BNF lol. This one's going to cost me 200+ to get in the air properly.
muttonboy is offline Find More Posts by muttonboy
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Curious what the kv rating on that HP03s is. Also, have you tried a 7t pinion with it? Wonder if it might help with the bogging.[/QUOTE]

They say its 13500 but I thinly its more around 12000kv I dont have a 7t pinion to try, I do have a genius main gear might try that, see if it makes any difference
achogg33 is offline Find More Posts by achogg33
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:25 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by achogg33 View Post
They say its 13500 but I thinly its more around 12000kv I dont have a 7t pinion to try, I do have a genius main gear might try that, see if it makes any difference
Okay, I was just curious. I was a bit reluctant to get that motor because I thought the kv rating might be a little high. From what you said the bogging doesn't sound that bad and I think you're right about it teaching good collective management. If it's not too much hassle and you have the time would be interesting to see a flight vid with that motor.
Last edited by bytemuncher; Mar 08, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:57 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Just a heads up. Firmware update available for Devo 7 on Walkera website. How you guys do the update I don't know. Usb adapter?
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:41 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
Awesome flying. Your blowouts didn't look bad at all...just a few degree kick out. I should have mentioned I was using a 350mah 25c lipo in the 8t video. With the stock lipo looks more like yours. I extended the boom to 150mm and it holds way better, like in your vid...although I'm not nearly at your level so can't test it as thoroughly.

I'm going to try 140mm tonight and see if it still holds. I'm using 55% pit TA and will try to go higher. Yours looked good even at 60%.

Curious what other adjustments you're going to make?
I changed the tail boom out to a solid rod and extended it a 1/2 inch. I bumped my pitch back up to 60% and toned my throttle and gyro down.
Now the tail is holding quite well with the turnigy 300's...stock batteries I dont like. I do need to start using a few more newer batteries to get more power and longer flight times though.

I just got another c05 in the mail today but after flying the hp05 have no interest in using the c05 for this heli
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Been gone for awhile..my daughter dropped and broke the screen our nextbook 7 tablet. I emailed the company and they dont have a source for replacement screens or fix them? What kinda place is that? I looked everywhere for a digitizer screen but cannot find one. 127$ down the tube

I see everyone trying out the brushless motors etc. I had no tail blowouts on both the double brushless motor with stock mini tail or the c05. I think it all has to do with settings. I used mannys settings but before i plugged in his settings I used genius settings that are in the videos further down this page http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=17 . So mannys settings overtop genius.

I also think the added weight of the brushless coversion isnt helping. You guys watched the video of my mini doing pitch pumps and I wasnt in idle up either. Only normal. ?I have never flew in idle up yet, not even with my 450.
You guys should experiment with the different setting, maybe there is a sweet spot somewhere for the tail to stay rock solid like mine? I was also doing pitch pumps with the heavier 350mah battery in the vid.

Also I am getting runtimes to 7 minutes! I need to show you guys a vid of the light 240mah battery and the mini main gear. The genius main motor is the way to go. I wish i could do 3d though , maybe then it will show you guys.

Maybe we need to start trying out different pinions on the genius motor or the mini's stock motor?

Also, instead of thinning out the case for the aileron servo to get the c05 to fit, I just elongated the middle most bolt hole for the motor. Problem solved.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Last edited by mescalinedream; Mar 09, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Jan 2012
131 Posts
I like the mini with the genius main gear and motor also . It flies great with it and it makes you learn collective management . The longer flight times are nice also!
54885488 is offline Find More Posts by 54885488