HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
20 Posts
this is silly, but i thought i had a serious problem with my mini when it started to develop a slight vibration. the vibration was really noticeable in the tail rotor, it was visibly shaking and the battery cable was pretty obviously vibrating. i was getting ready to take the head apart to check the feathering shaft, when i realized that earlier in the day i had removed one of the shiny stickers from the main blade (the stickers used to track the blades by sight supposedly, it had come loose during a blade strike). FYI: removing only one of those stickers creates a serious blade imbalance! haha, glad i realized that, the vibration went away completely when i removed the sticker from the other blade as well.

michael
ilotek is offline Find More Posts by ilotek
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,169 Posts
Interesting.

Any idea on how heavy that 1 Blade sticker weighs?

My weight scale claims 0.01g accuracy.

If the Blade Sticker weighs less than 0.01g, then I suppose your post would indicate how important it is to do a dynamic/see-saw Blade Balance
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:05 PM
ladybird, miniCP, msrx, 4F180
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
What on earth is up with THAT? I run a 9T pinion with the GCP main gear and I do not get this kind of lift on pitch pumps with a stock GCP motor. Not even close. This is akin to the performance I get with the c05 in idle up. I don't understand why your heli shoots up so fast with a GCP motor. The head speed seems very fast, too.

Your cat seems rather unphased.

Best,
Chris

I was gonna say the same thing. i run a MCP main w/ genius gear and my pumps are like half that aggressive. I was thinking something was wrong with my heli after I saw this video. I plan to swap in the MCP main gear since I now have 350mah 25c batteries from a v100d08. I Take it the MCP main gear will add 200rpm head speed.
afloyd82 is offline Find More Posts by afloyd82
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Interesting.

Any idea on how heavy that 1 Blade sticker weighs?

My weight scale claims 0.01g accuracy.

If the Blade Sticker weighs less than 0.01g, then I suppose your post would indicate how important it is to do a dynamic/see-saw Blade Balance
unfortunately, i do not have a scale. and i'm hoping that i didn't bump something or jossle something in the process of removing the second blade sticker (and that action being the solution to the vibration rather than the rebalancing of the blades). All I know is that tiny little sticker on only one of the blades apparently caused a noticeable vibration throughout the heli.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:19 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
Hey guys, before you take a big steaming dump on the thread could you maybe try to talk this out in PM?
I would not worry about it byetmuncher

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
20 Posts
OK, another silly mistake that i hope will prevent someone else's frustration and confusion:
after about 15 battery packs (and more than a couple crashes), i started to notice that i barely got any lift. i thought maybe the batteries weren't holding a charge, or weren't charged enough, so i recharged everything. after putting in a verified fresh fully charged battery, i had the same issue with barely getting any lift, in fact it was getting worse, i could barely get off the ground. after following indoorheli's EXCELLENT video guide to fixing blade pitch, i thought maybe i needed to re-adjust, and it turned out that at mid stick, the blades were way off. so lengthening every single linkage (including rotor head linkage) by 6 turns, i finally got it back to level.

new battery in the heli, flying it around and i hit a wall (oops) and the main gear just popped right off. not sheared or anything just popped off. HAHAH it turned out that my blade leveling problem, from the start, was due to the main gear not being fully attached to the main shaft. This is hard to notice, because of the unique design of the battery tray below the gear, which for some reason has a protuberance of plastic that perfectly blocks the view of the center of the gear (i suppose it prevents the spinning hub of the main gear from touching the battery).

I put the main gear back on, completely this time, and low and behold, the blade pitch is way off but in the opposite direction, whereas before the blades were level at 1 bar above mid, now they were level 2.5 bars BELOW mid. fast forward shortening every single linkage by 8 turns, and it's back to level.

So moral of the story: if your blade pitches are off, before lengthening or shortening the linkages, check to make sure the main shaft is fully seated into the main gear. hope this saves someone else from having to undo 20 minutes of work like i did

michael
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:20 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
the weight of the double brushless motor is 7.02grams without the stock cable and plug. 7.33 grams with cord and plug.
my c05 is 4.3+/- cant really get a good reading since I still have the esc soldered to it.
Thanks for weighing it, guess it would probably be too much motor for the mini without a strong tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Yes you just put some alcohol on it and it will peel right off..
Thanks, going to add that to my bag of tricks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I used a hp05s on my genius for testing with an 8 tooth pinion..tail blow outs were horrible. Tried a dual tail and it seemed like it never had enough power and piros were too slow

Maybe ill try with an sr120 tail this time around on the mini

Thanks for the vids..I think i will go order a 7tooth pinion. What main gear were you using?
I was using the mini main gear. The 7t is okay, but I hope to find a way to get tail hold with the 8t. After reading your feedback think I will avoid trying the dual tail, wasn't really looking forward to that anyway. First going to try reducing the pitch a tad as that's the easiest to test, then extended boom, then maybe sr120 tail motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
BTW happy Birthday to the little one
Lol, thanks those balloons have brought down my helis on more than a few occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achogg33 View Post
The HP05s is a very good motor i find the power is a little smoother than the c05m and there is more of it however The stock tail just does not cut it.

I am using a HP03s motor on my mini cp with 8t pinion is a bit smoother and a tad more powerful than the c05m a little lighter too however it does bog easier than the c05m but not as much as you think.
Yes, I immediately noticed the hp05s is smoother than the c05. I would have a difficult time going back to c05 after trying this motor.

I was also interested in the hp03s. I think if I finally commit to brushless and solder up everything and get the weight down the hp03s would be an interesting motor for an ultra-light setup.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Jan 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffandor View Post
Thanks to all for the advice but it turns out to be something stupid A friend was over last night & he was playing with my Devo 6. He managed to set the TC to max out at 58% Fixed that & all is fine again The little things will ALWAYS get you.
"playing" hahah, is your friend an RC pilot? sounds suspiciously like sabotaging!
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Jan 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
HAHAHAHAH that's hilarious. i laughed out loud.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:52 AM
OpenGL C/C++ programer
Israel
Joined Dec 2006
771 Posts
Hey guys,

Can someone please tell me the main shaft diamater of the Mini ?

Cheers
Ran
axelen is offline Find More Posts by axelen
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Nov 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelen View Post
Hey guys,

Cheers
Ran
I get 2.48mm
Gryffandor is offline Find More Posts by Gryffandor
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:05 PM
OpenGL C/C++ programer
Israel
Joined Dec 2006
771 Posts
Quote:
I get 2.48mm
Ahh nice, 2.5mm Thanks.
was expecting it to be 1.98 (AKA 2mm)
axelen is offline Find More Posts by axelen
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Dec 2002
679 Posts
For the brushless RTF Mini CP W/DEVO 8S set, is WOW the only place to buy from?
Thanks,
tanasit is offline Find More Posts by tanasit
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:37 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
if you want a rtf brushless yes. But if you want to save money and do a little soldering you can just buy the c05/hp05s and the walkera tail esc.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelen View Post
Hey guys,

Cheers
Ran
Quote:
I get 2.48mm
I was going to make my own CF Main Shaft for the mSR, but the CF Tube I have is not very round in diameter.

Does anyone know where I can purchase CF Tube that is very round and smooth, that can be used as Main Shaft?
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812