HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:37 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Used to be on the 4G6 forum if you didnt have something highly technical to add or discuss, you just sat back and learned from the mad scientist that were so intelligent with this stuff they make you scratch your head. Electronic Engineers, math geniuses, scientist etc.. Now every Tom Dick and harry has one under the Xmas tree and its great for everybody because more money to the manufaturers means more options for us, the pilots. But the quality of the information has tanked.
Nice post.

You do have a point there. On some other forums, members will be rude to you if you ask a newbie question without searching first. Even then, it has to be a question that has an interesting points of view. Here I see thousands of posts, but as I was linking useful ones to my webpage, realize that many are mundane and asking the same questions multiple times.
Many new people are coming in and asking questions right off the bat. Members seem to tolerate it. Maybe because many of them are themselves new. I use to think people donít have to be so rude to newbie. Now I realize if the forum is cluttered with basic questions, you will drive away the experience people. Interesting ideas get buried in tons of new posts and donít get anywhere. The old rule back in beginning forum days was donít use up the bandwidth if you donít have something significant to say. Maybe as the new ďclassĒ of user mature, there will be less tolerance for the same questions. I myself would like to see more posts from mad scientists type who are trying new things, testing new ideas and reporting their findings.
So people, please use the search function first before asking questions.
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:51 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmlee View Post
I love the search function it finds things I am looking for
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
In case someone forgot about it the first time around, here's a re-run of what was posted earlier about the $3.77 Servo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder_ View Post
have got the HK-5320 working in my MCP. I can't give you a comparison between the stock servos and these as a stock servo broke during the maiden flight (i am sure some of you guys remember my rant )

as I said before, i had to swap two wires of the connector, the poti and the motor but it was fairly quick to do that.

did not go outside, just a bit of buzzing arround inside and I could not tell a difference, heli was flying great, but again, you might feel a difference if you fare used to the stock servos, I can't tell.

because the HK-5320 servos are a bit smaller I fixed them by squeezing some foam beneath them, that stops them from moving inside the bracket, no modifications to either the frame or the servo housing were necessary.

here are some pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder_ View Post
the HK-5320 have arrived today. they are quite a bit smaller than the MCP servos, but just big enough to be helt by the servo bracket, but need to fill the gap for a tighter fit. swapping the wires on the connector is easlily done without any soldering, but to reverse the servos I had to swap the motor wires and the two outer wires of the poti, you need a decent soldering iron and a small tip ( i used weller wd-1 with 0.6mm tip ), a helping hand is useful too. only took a few minutes (did it during lunch hour) to do all that for all 3 servos.

the horns dont fit so I have to use the ones that come with the servos, but should be fine.

its not ideal, but I hope it gets me back up until walkera gets their act together and releases the servo gear kit to a broader selection of retailers...

And here are the specs:

Weight: 1.7g
Speed: 0.07sec 60deg @ 2.8v / 0.05sec 60deg @4.2v
Torque: 0.05kg @ 2.8v / 0.075kg @ 4.2v
Dead Band: <4us
Plug: Micro JST - 1.25 Pitch

Weight (g) 1.7
Torque (kg) 0.07
Speed (Sec/60deg) 0.05
A(mm) 18
B(mm) 14
C(mm) 16
D(mm) 6.2
E(mm) 20
F(mm) 10

i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Mar 06, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:23 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmlee View Post
Nice post.

You do have a point there. On some other forums, members will be rude to you if you ask a newbie question without searching first. Even then, it has to be a question that has an interesting points of view. Here I see thousands of posts, but as I was linking useful ones to my webpage, realize that many are mundane and asking the same questions multiple times.
Many new people are coming in and asking questions right off the bat. Members seem to tolerate it. Maybe because many of them are themselves new. I use to think people don’t have to be so rude to newbie. Now I realize if the forum is cluttered with basic questions, you will drive away the experience people. Interesting ideas get buried in tons of new posts and don’t get anywhere. The old rule back in beginning forum days was don’t use up the bandwidth if you don’t have something significant to say. Maybe as the new “class” of user mature, there will be less tolerance for the same questions. I myself would like to see more posts from mad scientists type who are trying new things, testing new ideas and reporting their findings.
Yeah the forums are a trip, all kinds of people with all kind of backgrounds,perspectives and ideas on what should be what.. Some come and go with the new releases, some stick around, some leave for awhile and come back, some get kicked out . Its all about having fun with it, cause if its aggrivating then you have to ask yourself why your here...... I have too many helis as it is to keep buying each and every new release, but Im always interested to see whats next with Walkera. I have to say they are my favorite heli and no they dont pay my bills, actually Walkera has been paying my hobby bill lately. If you been around long enough, you learn that secret. The good news is we all get there eventually.

Oh yeah and the search feature, pure Gold if you dont like to wait and rely on others to get your questions answered, but sometimes you have to ask just to verify you got the right info...Most times though, its already been done in one way or another by someone else.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Mar 06, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:44 PM
OpenGL C/C++ programer
Israel
Joined Dec 2006
771 Posts
hmm.. why did noone try this...

I wish I had the money to buy a Mini-CP now... (just got a V120D02s)

I would get one only to try and do this :
* Locate rudder signal and gyro gain on PCB (no prob' with even a cheapo pen scope)
* solder out a 4G6 Gyro (which I think was the last double plated tail servo RX released).
* epoxy it at right angle on the Mini's PCB and connect with copper wires.

Next is just a general idea :
*Dremel out as much as possible from a 4G6 main frame and tail unit. (2mm shaft - might need some work to fit with Mini main shaft (dunno it's diameter) ).

* Use the Orange servos.
axelen is offline Find More Posts by axelen
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAir View Post
Are you using these 25c batteries?

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs...olesalers.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=260972071863

I think they're the newer 25c with more capacity. Just ordered 10 of these after reading an older post (#773) of how there's over 6min flight time with a c05. But doesn't sound like it from what you guys are experiencing.

Oh well I needed new lipos anyway, my 240mah weren't cutting it.
yes that is the battery that i got 3 3/4 runtime on the c05 . funny cause i got the same performance but 3 1/2min runtime with the rcecho 20c 350mah batteries. the ones you listed are the ones that came with the genius double brushless kit. I only have one of those

and indoorheli, I did run just the hpo5 motor (i ran it with the stock brushed tail)from the genius double brushless kit and the tail held better then the c05 for some reason. I also need to say that I ak a lucky one and that my tail is always rock solid from day one. it only strayed a tiny bit when using the c05 motor.

and to the guy posting about the brass egg or oval under the horn servo. I succesfully removed the brass peice with heat and pulling strait up with pliers.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:07 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
I did run just the hpo5 motor from the genius double brushless kit and the tail held better then the c05 for some reason.
Hey, could you weight that double bl kit main motor if you have a chance?
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:21 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
, I did run just the hpo5 motor (i ran it with the stock brushed tail)from the genius double brushless kit and the tail held better then the c05 for some reason. I also need to say that I ak a lucky one and that my tail is always rock solid from day one. it only strayed a tiny bit when using the c05 motor..
The double brushless kit is a hp05s..i didnt know that.

What pinion did you run? I think I will have to go try mine now
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,868 Posts
Quote:
Some come and go with the new releases, some stick around, some leave for awhile and come back, some get kicked out
I wonder if this is what happened to that hellraser persona... I would not be surprised.

Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:45 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
bought some 350mah zippy from hobbyking which should fit the tray pretty good.

here is my code to get them for even cheaper

ZIPPY 350mAh 20C single cell Save US$: 1.02

and if you want to try the 1015 (i will be testing both 1220 and 1015 inrunner.. already received my 1220) i think this is the best way to go for mini or genius.

Turnigy 1015 Brushless Inrunner Motor 11500kv Save US$: 0.90
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:52 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
The double brushless kit is a hp05s..i didnt know that.
Hmm, the walkera motor looks similar to an hp05s...but different. An hp05s should weigh around 5.2-5.3 grams.

Could you guys weigh that kit main when you get a chance? In the meantime I'm going to try this "search" feature someone mentioned.

@scub, the race is on to try that 1015 inrunner
Last edited by bytemuncher; Mar 06, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:00 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
I bought 6 of the Zippy 350mah bare cells too, gonna be a while to get here so I also ordered 8 of the 300mah 35c Nanotechs for the MCPX, gonna just rip the plastic cap and connector and rewire it...not sure how they will fit but they were the best battery i could find stateside.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:10 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
It looks like the fullriver 350mah 25C's are back in stock at hobbywing...get 'em while you can

http://www.hobby-wing.com/3e-3-7v-35...o-battery.html

more info on these: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=773
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:25 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub View Post
That motor was a bust on the mcpx so I dont think it will cut it for the mini
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
You have it the other way around and actually mean a 200 RPM HeadSpeed gain on this MiniCP Pro that Wow are selling now. It's using the Genius main gear and the upgrade 25C battery it comes with supposedly gives it this extra 200 RPM.

I found a photo of the Genius Main Gear posted earlier in this thread and counted 64 teeth:

Name: a4659848-133-genius-08.jpg
Views: 138
Size: 61.4 KB
Description: Genius Main Gear

And a day or two earlier, I posted counting 61 teeth on the Mini Main Gear:

Name: a4664224-95-photo%20%286%29.jpg
Views: 111
Size: 116.5 KB
Description: Mini Main Gear

I'm not going to post the math because I used algebra, and the equations started messy (to type), but in the end the equation simplified as follows:

New HeadSpeed = (Old Main Gear tooth count / New Main Gear tooth count) * Old HeadSpeed

NOTE: Above equation assumes everything else remains the same, and only Main Gear is changed.

So, going form an "old" 61 tooth Mini Main Gear to "new" 64 tooth Genius Main Gear:

New HeadSpeed = 61/64 * Old HeadSpeed

New HeadSpeed = 0.9531 * Old HeadSpeed

If Wow's Mini-Pro uses the same stock Pinion, Genius Main Gear, AND has 200 rpm increase, then it MUST NOT be due to the Main Gear change, but MUST be due to the upgrade 25C LiPo? (as you stated in your above post?, but I didn't originally catch on to)

If so, and if my above math and Pinion teeth counts are correct, then I'd suspect ONLY using the "upgrade" LiPo from Wow's Mini-Pro, with stock Mini Main Gear would give even more rpm than Wow's "official" Mini-Pro using Genius Gear (assuming same Pinion used in both configurations). If official Mini-Pro with Genius Main Gear and Upgrade 25C LiPo, is "super" upgraded with a Mini Main Gear, the "super" HeadSpeed will be 1.049 that of the "Pro" HeadSpeed.

Bottom Line:

stock Mini = stock HeadSpeed

Wow's Mini-Pro = stock Mini w/ Genius Main Gear + 25C LiPo = stock HeadSpeed + 200 rpm HeadSpeed (per HeliFlyer711's above post)

"Super"-Mini = stock Mini w/ 25C LiPo = (stock HeadSpeed + 200 rpm) * 1.049 = 1.049 * stock HeadSpeed + 210 rpm

I'm guessing if the "Super"-Mini (stock mini with 25C LiPo) had too much HeadSpeed, and a person wanted to keep using the more durable Mini Main Gear and 25C LiPo, then the only choice left would be to drop a tooth on the Pinion.

Everyone posting all the Pinion, Main Gear, and LiPo mods have probably been posting all this stuff during the last few months, and I'm probably the last to "register". If so, and I've bored y'all, excuse me.

=========================

Edit:

Manny (buildem336) made a few posts listing a few Headspeed measurements with different Motors, Pinions, and Main Gears. Here is a compilation:

NOTES:
  1. Pre-Release "stock" Mini's were shipped with 8t Pinions, Post-Release stock Mini's were shipped with 9t Pinions
  2. stock Genius Pinion = 9t
  3. stock Mini Main Gear = 61t
  4. stock Genius Main Gear = 64t
  5. Manny prefers stock Mini Main Motor over stock Genius Main Motor because can get 2 min of good 3d flight;
    w/ stock Genius Main Motor even in the first 10 sec w/ fresh LiPo can't fly it like the Mini Main Motor
  6. design trade off between +HS (performance) and -Flight Time
  7. Manny prefers stock (5,000) HS for Indoor flight because less damage, and > 2 1/2 min 3D
  8. Manny prefers Converter/ESC HM-4G3-Z-43 + C05 for all setups because of lighter weight
    (Weight w/o LiPo using BL Converter/ESC, C05, Solid CF Tail Boom (+0.3g), w/o (connectors, Telemetry, extra wiring) = 36.1g < stock)
  9. Walkera double BL kit Main Motor not as good as C05. It's heavier and doesn't have as much power
Pre-Release Stock Mini (i.e. 8t + 61t) = 4,880, Flight Time = ~ 2.75 min

Post-Release Stock Mini (i.e. 9t + 61t) = 5,000 + < Flight Time

Stock Mini + 8t + 64t = 4,710 + > Flight Time

Stock Mini + C05 + 8t + 64t = 5,000 + 1 min extra 3D flight time
(Manny's preferred indoor setup: same HS as stock, but longer flight/3D time)

Name: a4604490-144-DSC03940.jpg
Views: 187
Size: 201.7 KB
Description: Name: a4604491-208-DSC03938.jpg
Views: 204
Size: 185.3 KB
Description:

(claims w/ 7t HS = ~ stock (4,880)

Stock Mini + C05 + 7t + 61t = ~ 5,000

Stock Mini + C05 + 9t + 64t = 5,300

Stock Mini + C05 + 8t + 61t = 5,300

Stock Mini + C05 + 9t + 61t = 5,700

(personal note: it would be interesting to run his test data numbers against Pinion/Main Gear calculations to see how they compare)
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Apr 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added Manny's Motor, Pinion, Main Gear test data