HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
wow so many questions since I have been gone. great flying bope!

sad news about wow. and my devo 7 mini came from oomodel with one battery and two port charger.

to the guy needing to take the swash off. you see the two metal links attached to the blade grips? pop the two links off the blade grips. now you see te little collar. under the swashplate? it has a screw in it. liosen the screw enough so it slides. take the landing gear off and pry off the big plastic gear. now pull strait up on the blades/grips and the hole top should come off leaving your swashplate sitting there. now unhook the links off the swashplate that goto your servos. you should be left with 5 pieces. blades/rotogrips in one peice. swash with 2 links that went to the grips, and the third is the main gear. fourth is the landing gear and fith is the body with 3 links dangling off the servo horns.

first parts are blades(I cracked first pair they might be able to be fixed), servos if you dont do the mod , landing gear(broke a peg and a leg still works though), canopy(mine was cracked out the box, cracked it more glued it with white gorilla glue), tailboom(cracked it still works glued), extras like batteries,feathering shaft, blade grips,servo holder peice,frame, whole tail with motor, genius motor with genius maingear for more runtime. mainshaft. the ones that I didnt include parenthesis on you will just get as extra but prolly wont need.

if you really think about it, you might just buy a bnf version. might be cheaper in the long run. or do the servo mod, buy 1 of everything except rx and servos. you should do the genius motor and gear swap.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Last edited by mescalinedream; Mar 04, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:34 PM
ladybird, miniCP, msrx, 4F180
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
yea, i wanna know the tooth count of the two gears but I dont want to do the counting, lol. I never really knew exactly why the GCP gear was better than the MCP gear. I might pop my MCP gear on the heli for the first time just to see if it flies better or worse. Curiosity. Plus I have 350mah batteries so it flies a little longer anyways.
afloyd82 is offline Find More Posts by afloyd82
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:38 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by afloyd82 View Post
yea, i wanna know the tooth count of the two gears but I dont want to do the counting, lol. I never really knew exactly why the GCP gear was better than the MCP gear. I might pop my MCP gear on the heli for the first time just to see if it flies better or worse. Curiosity. Plus I have 350mah batteries so it flies a little longer anyways.
I use the mini cp main gear in my mini and my genius. I like it
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
To anyone that knows the answer:

Can an appropriate diameter and length rod/tube be used as a DIY Tail Boom? (i.e. will an appropriate diameter and length rod/tube be a "straight" fit into the mating parts at both ends?)

If so, what diameter is required?
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Mar 04, 2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
For me tail boom, tail blades, and skids break the most. If you don't do the servo saver mod expect to strip servo gears as the mini seems more susceptible to servo damage than the genius.

I would also get a set of blade grips, swash, and main shaft just to be prepared...so yeah, pretty much all the usual stuff. I don't fly with the stock canopy but I'd imagine it's somewhat fragile as well.

p.s. Picture of the mini's main gear in this post for anyone who wants to count the teeth
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post20490055
Thanks.

I counted 61 teeth on the photo of the Mini's Main Gear

Edit: I found a photo of the Genius Main Gear someone posted earlier, and it had 64 teeth. Which means just swapping from Mini Main Gear to Genius Main Gear should change head speed by - 4.687%
Last edited by i812; Mar 06, 2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added Edit
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:46 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
I think a lot of us are diy'ing the tail boom. You need 2mm cf square tube. It fits but is ever so slightly loose. I think walkera puts a finishing gloss on their stock boom so it fits a bit better.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
to the guy needing to take the swash off. you see the two metal links attached to the blade grips? pop the two links off the blade grips. now you see te little collar. under the swashplate? it has a screw in it. liosen the screw enough so it slides. take the landing gear off and pry off the big plastic gear. now pull strait up on the blades/grips and the hole top should come off leaving your swashplate sitting there. now unhook the links off the swashplate that goto your servos. you should be left with 5 pieces. blades/rotogrips in one peice. swash with 2 links that went to the grips, and the third is the main gear. fourth is the landing gear and fith is the body with 3 links dangling off the servo horns.
Thanks man, appreciate the help will try that!
repressor is offline Find More Posts by repressor
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:48 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Thanks.

I counted 61 teeth on the photo of the Mini's Main Gear

I suppose I should ask (or look for a photo) for Genius Main Gear teeth count in that thread.
I'm curious what the kv rating of the stock motor is. I think Manny posted the head speed (can't search now because forum is broken). I will do my own tach'ing when I get home from work.

I assume if you have head speed, pinion tooth count, and main gear tooth count you could calculate motor kv.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:50 PM
ladybird, miniCP, msrx, 4F180
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
yeah, its thicker and I dunno the tooth count but I think Ill swap it into the Mini for the first time. See how it flies the way walkera intended it. Ive only flown mine with the genius gear thus far
afloyd82 is offline Find More Posts by afloyd82
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:55 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by afloyd82 View Post
yeah, its thicker and I dunno the tooth count...
Well if we trust i812's math skills then it has 61 teeth.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,394 Posts
Quote:
You won't get telemetry data with bad lipo wiring... My transmitter percentage display isn't accurate anymore. Goes to a max of 98% to a low of 7, 4 or sometimes 1%.
This seems to be working fine. The fluctuation in voltage readings actually indicate that there is something wrong with your lipo connection.

I'm sure someone should be able to fix the contacts on the board for you. I know Benmlee is quite experienced. Might be worth offering him a few bucks to fix it for you.

Good luck!
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
I asked Wow why they consider their Mini-"pro" with the Genius Main gear better than a stock Mini with stock Mini Main Gear.

The person I spoke to said the Mini CP with Genius Main Gear runs 200 (rpm?) slower than with stock Mini Main Gear.

I then asked why having a 200 slower headspeed rpm is considered better? I don't remember getting an explanation other than something to the effect of: "it flies better with the slower headspeed", and Wow includes the Mini Main Gear with their "Pro" version, so the owner can compare the differences, and confirm the increase in performance (lower headspeed) the Genius Main Gear provides over Mini Main Gear.

Finally, I asked why Wow didn't choose to keep the thicker, more durable stock Mini Main Gear, and change the rpm by using a smaller Pinion with slightly less teeth count? I heard a soft laugh, a pause, and then he said changing the Main Gear is easier; whereas, changing the Pinion is more difficult and time consuming because of the temperature sensor being attached to the Main Motor.

Afterwards, I went back and re-read a couple of Manny's (buildem336's) posts, and from what I understood, found he prefers slightly lower headspeed on his Mini because he likes to fly it indoors, and thinks slightly lower headspeed causes less damage (to the heli and furniture?) without loss in performance.

I don't know anything about how headspeed effects a heli's flight performance. However, from my limited understanding of Gear Trains, using more teeth on the Main Gear is equivalent to using less teeth on the Pinion. I suppose with the Mini, it is easier and quicker to change headspeed by simply removing and replacing a Main Gear than it is to remove and replace a Pinion? However, unless I planned on changing head speeds often, once I decided on the best headspeed, I'd be more inclined to choose the most cost effective (durable?) long term solution instead of easiest short term solution. If something in the heli's drive-train "has" to break upon impact, then I'd like to intentionally design/use a cheap, easy to identify as defective, and easy to replace weak "link" to function as a sacrificial "Jesus" part. Using Walkera's authorized warranty provider's (HobbyOne's) prices, the drive-train parts cost are:

($9.67) Main Motor
($2.75) Pinion
($4.17) Main Gear
($2.58) Main Shaft
($2.67) Feathering Shaft
($3.33) Blade Grips
($3.33) Main Blades

Main Gear is the second most expensive part, although it may be the easiest to inspect and replace?

Maybe having cheaper but relatively weaker Main Shaft, Blade Grips, Feathering Shaft cost less to purchase, but are more difficult to inspect and replace?
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Now that more people are flying and crashing the mini CP, I'd like recommendations of what should be included in a "starter" spare parts purchase.

I think I'll be ordering the mini tomorrow and would like to include the first batch of spare parts with the order.
Finally! Will this be your first CP? In any case, I think you will do very well. Your posts show that you have a very good understanding of many CP implications.

As for spares, I think each pilot experiences different breaks depending on flying style and good/bad fortune. I never broke a tail rotor, for example, and bytemuncher has had bad luck with them. Here's what I would recommend based on my own subjective experience.

-main shaft... They don't break but they slightly bend causing vibration
-tail boom and tail fin. Those I break all the time.
-Feathering shaft... a must... If I keep the o-rings lubed well, they last about 50 flights and then the heli develops a wobble. If I leave the o-rings dry, the wobble can appear in as little as 15 flights. I've never bent a shaft but the o-rings wear out fast, is what I'm saying, and to get the o-rings you need to buy the feathering shaft assembly.
-landing skids- I broke 2 so far. They break where they fit into the main frame and I have to drill out the broken bit that stays stuck into the main frame.
-Servos- I'd get three of them and a bunch of gears if you can get some. And do the servo saver mod out of the box if you want to save $.
-Servo holder. This part is not easy to repair if it breaks and the heli can't fly without it. It's cheap so worth having one or two on hand.
-Canopy breaks very easily

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,394 Posts
Quote:
You picked up on a little known secret if you want to learn fast you gotta crash...So the best thing to do is get a heli like one of these and go all out and crash the best you can
Quote:
If you're not crashing, you're not learning.
Quote:
Great flying and great crashes
Quote:
great flying bope!
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Indeed, I'm coming to realize that there is a price to pay to learn and you know what, whether I'm being careless and ballsy or careful and wussy, the result is the SAME! I break stuff anyways. So might as well go all out, as indoorheli says, and just push myself. The main thing is to hit the thhold switch before impact, and that, I never fail. Perhaps that's why after all these crashes I only have minor damages. There's a bit of good fortune in there, too, I'm sure, but killing the RPM on time is a must.

Quote:
I learned something new, the mini can bounce off concrete. I suspect that would have been a three servo killer pre saver mod. You might consider slow-motioning that scene and dub in a slow motion distorted "NOOOOOooooooooooo!".
If I knew how to edit a video like this I would! I will try.

Quote:
Doesn't help the dog house is a giant heli magnet. I also noticed you make the same sound as me when you crash, Aaaugh!
What's up with that, eh? I have this huge yard and I manage to hit the dog house all the time. Not on video is when I actually crashed into my right elbow yesterday. Not pleasant and it drew blood. I did not post that one because I don't think it's nice to post videos in which I use expletives of the F kind loudly.

Happy flying guys.
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:41 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
What's the best upgrade battery for this heli? Considering both performance and flight time.

Ben
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207