HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:40 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2011
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthure View Post
Might have to start a local chapter of HA helicopter's anonymous.

Hello I am Arthur. I am a heli addict. I haven't shopped online for heli parts......oh well since 2 hours ago. I bought my last heli two weeks ago. I have been heli clean for two weeks. Lol

Looks like I might need the get a walkera again...glad I didn't buy a 2801 last year. Looks like a winner here. Still lots of work to do on my mcpxs. Yes a plural buyer...lol. I managed only to buy one msrx though it's an improvement.

Arthur
I was thinking of joining, but I don't believe I need to. I helicopter responsibly. I only have a flight or two with dinner. Well, OK, maybe six after lunch. But never before noon. And I don't hide my helis, or sneak them into the house in a brown paper bag (or plastic). A single heli lasts me a long time, so I don't feel compelled to buy a new one every month. I don't keep my habit a secret from friends and neighbours.

I guess I don't qualify as a heli addict.

Regrets,

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline Find More Posts by Nomad57
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:48 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2011
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
TomZ said in the main Genius thread that he preferred the MCPx because of the combined main frame and skids of the Genius. There was a big negative reaction to his comments and basically he retracted that and altered his post. Therefore you will not find it anymore.
Thanks for the reply. His point of view makes sense. I don't see why there should have been a negative reaction to the post. A point is a point, and many do complain about the one-piece construction. I've broken two skids on my mSR, and would not have enjoyed changing the whole frame each time, as I did have to do once, because of broken canopy posts.

Performance isn't a real issue for me, durability is. (My 'very durable' mSR has $150 worth of parts into it in 3 1/2 months.) I seriously doubt that I'll ever do 3D, and if I do, it will be very far down the line. By that time, they may have helis that fly themselves, and take you along for the ride.

That being the case, would you recommend the mCP X over the Genius?

Regards,

Nomad
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57 View Post
I was thinking of joining, but I don't believe I need to. I helicopter responsibly. I only have a flight or two with dinner. Well, OK, maybe six after lunch. But never before noon. And I don't hide my helis, or sneak them into the house in a brown paper bag (or plastic). A single heli lasts me a long time, so I don't feel compelled to buy a new one every month. I don't keep my habit a secret from friends and neighbours.

I guess I don't qualify as a heli addict.

Regrets,

Nomad
"I helicopter responsibly"

That's what all heli addicts say!

OK, explain how you broke a feathering shaft on a mSR again?

While you're at it, explain how it took over $150 to repair a $100 mSR? Something about it being the mSR 's fault?

Bob, you may need to help Nomad with this one again?
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Jan 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Walkera...you've come a long way baby

Hovering the 4G3 = The orginal and first mass produced 2.4ghz micro heli w/ Collective Pitch. The Walkera 4G3, also known as the Novus CP rebrand by HeliMax. The Rx is 2.4ghz with a single axis Piezo RATE tail gyro. This one has been updated to a 005/14T brushless motor on the main and an HP02T Brushless on the tail, with some custom wireing and Micro Deans, battery is a OS400 20/C.

Like balancing a marble on a sheet of glass......

Walkera 4G3 Hovering in the Velvet Room (3 min 17 sec)
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:33 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,133 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. His point of view makes sense. I don't see why there should have been a negative reaction to the post. A point is a point, and many do complain about the one-piece construction. I've broken two skids on my mSR, and would not have enjoyed changing the whole frame each time, as I did have to do once, because of broken canopy posts.

Performance isn't a real issue for me, durability is. (My 'very durable' mSR has $150 worth of parts into it in 3 1/2 months.) I seriously doubt that I'll ever do 3D, and if I do, it will be very far down the line. By that time, they may have helis that fly themselves, and take you along for the ride.

Regards,

Nomad
TomZ wrote a glowing report on the Genius but then suddenly made this comment on which appeared to many as a trivial matter. The canopy pins of the MCPx frame are easily broken off and so you will end up having to replace at some point. Another weak point of the MCPx is the tail boom. As far as durability is concerned, it seems to be a tie at the moment. It really depends on your flying style and your flying area.

The MCPx is definitely easier on beginners than the Genius, being easier to hover and to fly slowly indoors. The Genius is better in FFF outdoors and also 3D. If you are in N. America, you should be able to get MCPx parts readily from your LHS and also HH's warranty and support. But MCPx parts are much more expensive than Walkera parts. There are a number of MCPx parts that cost more than $10.

But the big issue is that the DX4e transmitter that comes with the RTF package is utterly insufficient even for beginners. You really need to get a programmable transmitter such as the DX6i for the long term. All transmitters that comes with the Genius are programmable, and that includes the Devo 7. Although the Devo 7 is bad, it is still miles ahead of the DX4e.

I would say that when you could get the RTF MCPx Ver 1 for less than $140 a couple of months ago, then the choice was obvious. Now with the Genius CP and Devo 7 at $170, it is less clear. If you could wait, perhaps you can see how this new MiniCP fares. In theory, it could leave both the Genius and MCPx standing.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Jan 15, 2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:28 AM
Crash expert
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2011
79 Posts
Quote:

Regards,

Nomad
It depends on what you are looking for. For me, the biggest deciding factor is the LHS carries a good supply of mCPx parts. That's the main reason my mCPx gets more flight time.

IMHO Out of the box, the GCP is a better heli, but a bit more likely to break if you crash a lot. I think I see more mod'ing going on the mCPx side. My double brushless WOW-07 powered mCPx is a scary example. I've gone brushless on my GCP, but only taken it up to a c-05...didn't really feel the need for more. Wouldn't give up my GCP or my mCPx, but neither make great indoor helis (for me at least). I'll likely get the mini-CP because I'm still looking for the ideal indoor CP that wont take out walls. For outdoors the V120D02S is my next heli.
distructor is offline Find More Posts by distructor
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:52 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2011
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post

While you're at it, explain how it took over $150 to repair a $100 mSR? Something about it being the mSR 's fault?

I was being facetious.

Nomad
Last edited by Nomad57; Jan 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:56 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2011
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
TomZ wrote a glowing report on the Genius but then suddenly made this comment on which appeared to many as a trivial matter. The canopy pins of the MCPx frame are easily broken off and so you will end up having to replace at some point. Another weak point of the MCPx is the tail boom. As far as durability is concerned, it seems to be a tie at the moment. It really depends on your flying style and your flying area.

The MCPx is definitely easier on beginners than the Genius, being easier to hover and to fly slowly indoors. The Genius is better in FFF outdoors and also 3D. If you are in N. America, you should be able to get MCPx parts readily from your LHS and also HH's warranty and support. But MCPx parts are much more expensive than Walkera parts. There are a number of MCPx parts that cost more than $10.

But the big issue is that the DX4e transmitter that comes with the RTF package is utterly insufficient even for beginners. You really need to get a programmable transmitter such as the DX6i for the long term. All transmitters that comes with the Genius are programmable, and that includes the Devo 7. Although the Devo 7 is bad, it is still miles ahead of the DX4e.

I would say that when you could get the RTF MCPx Ver 1 for less than $140 a couple of months ago, then the choice was obvious. Now with the Genius CP and Devo 7 at $170, it is less clear. If you could wait, perhaps you can see how this new MiniCP fares. In theory, it could leave both the Genius and MCPx standing.
Thanks for the feedback, Zadaw. I certainly do intend to wait until spring. Thought I would do some research in the meantime, so as to make perhaps a more informed choice. Things are changing so rapidly that as soon as I make up my minds about one thing, something better comes along. Maybe I should just get a JetRanger. No, wait! The JetRanger is out of production. Oh, darn.

Regards,

Nomad
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:07 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post

If your hooked there's help out there...it's called the one heli a month club. With Walkera you just have to follw the ebb and flow of thier releases, always know that behind thier latest release is something not far behind that may or may not be better and could render everything you have invested obsolete as far as what the "latest" is overnight.
Hey im still flying a 4G3 so you got the wrong guy, I know how to make the high last and last and last.... and these commercials just make me want breakfast

This Is Your Brain On Drugs (Original) (0 min 31 sec)
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Jan 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:52 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,009 Posts
Well I am going to watch this thread!! I just bought a GCP and DEVO8, thanks Shane. Although it has not even got to me yet, I am already looking towards my next responsible heli act and this might be it.
My last irresponsible heli act was a mSRXDOG BAD BAD BAD
I am an unBob and I have already bought 2 helis this year so I am not due now till March. Plenty of time for you guys to or over this Xalkera.
Maybe my next should be 120DO?????? and go outside.
Inside I think I am hoping for a Blade 120SRX that works.
I will probably never understand Xalkera's alpha/numeric soup
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:55 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,139 Posts
Ron

Is the MSRX really that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Well I am going to watch this thread!! I just bought a GCP and DEVO8, thanks Shane. Although it has not even to me yet, I am already looking towards my next responsible heli act and this might be it.
I am an unBob and I have already bought 2 helis this year so I am not due now till March. Plenty of time for you guys to or over this Xalkera.
Ron
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:58 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Ron

Is the MSRX really that bad?

To put is simply, YES!

rON
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:02 AM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Well I am going to watch this thread!! I just bought a GCP and DEVO8, thanks Shane.
Ron
Ron,

You got it! I hope you enjoy the Genius while we wait for the dust to settle with this new Mini CP (when it comes out).

I'm busy flying my mCP X V2 / JR X9503 right now, so I'll be satisfied for a little while (famous last words).

-Shane
ShaneXman is offline Find More Posts by ShaneXman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ShaneXman; Jan 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:10 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Well I am going to watch this thread!! I just bought a GCP and DEVO8, thanks Shane. Although it has not even got to me yet, I am already looking towards my next responsible heli act and this might be it.
Inside I think I am hoping for a Blade 120SRX that works.
Ron

I think your March one should be a V120D02S..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I think your March one should be a V120D02S..
i was thinking about getting the d02S especially after i saw you flip one .... j/k but the weather finally decided to change so it put those plans on hold for a bit.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt