HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:57 AM
ladybird, miniCP, msrx, 4F180
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
I got my Mini from WOW, 1 day before they released the PRO version. The odd thing is I got a Genius CP main gear, with the old minicp gear in the box. They also sent me an extra Genius CP main gear because I thought my heli would be stock. But The odd thing is I dont have any frame notching. Just stock motor w/ Genius CP main gear. Thats the way it was shipped to me, seems to fly fine w/o frame notchng? Dunno.
afloyd82 is offline Find More Posts by afloyd82
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:58 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superglued View Post
+1 for the butchered main frame. I ordered a "stock" mcp from WOW because I didn't like the idea of having holes drilled into the frame. I thought it was weird when I picked it up and during the test flight I saw that they had added the genius main gear but was told they had not drilled holes into the frame.

It wasn't until I saw the previous posts that said the mod wasn't visibly obvious until you removed the motor that I discovered they had drilled the holes. At least I didn't have to pay the extra money for their "Pro" mod.

Considering getting a replacement frame over concerns that the motor mount will break at some point.

Oh so you got yours butchered for free? How lucky you are!!!

OK... I'm really off to fly now before the sun goes down in this part of the world...

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by afloyd82 View Post
I got my Mini from WOW, 1 day before they released the PRO version. The odd thing is I got a Genius CP main gear, with the old minicp gear in the box. They also sent me an extra Genius CP main gear because I thought my heli would be stock. But The odd thing is I dont have any frame notching. Just stock motor w/ Genius CP main gear. Thats the way it was shipped to me, seems to fly fine w/o frame notchng? Dunno.
Perhaps they had a 12 year old drill your frame instead of his little brother... No seriously, the Mini CP can fly with the GCP main gear without drilling the frame but the mesh is too tight resulting in shorter flight times and more power drain. At least this has been my finding when I replaced the Mini gear with the GCP gear on my Mini CP.

Best,
Chris

Geez... OK, I'm going flying now!!!
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:15 AM
United States, CA, Cerritos
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Oh so you got yours butchered for free? How lucky you are!!!

OK... I'm really off to fly now before the sun goes down in this part of the world...

Best,
Chris
Yeah, a word of caution to those wanting a truly "stock" bird from WOW. Take the motor out and make sure they didn't drill holes into the frame. On the other hand, if you want the "pro" mod, save yourself the extra $10-20 and go with the stocker.

It seems like they mix and match these combos so much that they don't even know what going into the box.
superglued is offline Find More Posts by superglued
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:04 AM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superglued View Post
I spoke to Bob at helircstore on the phone earlier today to inquire about a replacement rx. He said that he will be getting practically every part for the mini cp in next week and will be calling Walkera about including servo gears in the upcoming order.
they at least should offer first class mail.. doesnt really make paying priority shipping for a part that cost $2.95. clubheli at least does but their inventory has been crap lately and they don't even have the mini
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Last edited by scub; Feb 27, 2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: fix quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:25 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,667 Posts
OK, a big thank you to bytemuncher for the suggestion to lower the neg pitch. I thought I did this but I must have mocked with some other settings. Not sure. Anyways... I reduced neg pitch in TRAVADJ as you suggested and my Mini CP is now flipping WAY better, as in WAY easier. The tail holds!

Don't expect stellar 3D in the following video as I'm a beginner, but here it is:

Mini CP (3 min 9 sec)

Thanks again!

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:33 AM
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Hey mate sounds like you don't have even pitch travel. too much negative.

At mid stick you want 0 pitch fold the blades back so they are aligned they should be level at mid stick if they are not
Adjust the links from swash to servo until they are level.

Go to full positive pitch and measure by eye how much it has moved

now go full negative it should move the same.

If it is the not the same change the values until they move the same amount.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
They are the same settings except I reduced pitch on L in travadj by 10% on the Mini CP (as suggested by bytemuncher-Thanks!). It still does it. I dunno about the stock mini motor as I only used it on a couple flights before changing motor and never tried to flip it with the stock motor.

Anyways, I will try to shoot a video today to show you guys. Too bad I have to intentionally crash to demo this. I'll do it in my yard over tall grass. I'll try to show in the same video that with moderate throttle input (neg) it's fine but when I apply too much pitch it's a no go.

I suppose better throttle management is one way to avoid inverted tail blowouts, but the problem is I don't only fly this heli. When I go from the Genius CP to the Mini CP, I need to change the amount of neg pitch I apply quite drastically so I have to adapt my throttle management for each heli. THis makes for a rough first minute of flight with the Mini CP until I adjust my thumbs. It's annoying.

Anyways.... Stay tuned for the video demo. I'm off to fly now.

Thanks guys.
Chris
achogg33 is offline Find More Posts by achogg33
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:48 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
I reduced neg pitch in TRAVADJ as you suggested and my Mini CP is now flipping WAY better, as in WAY easier. The tail holds!
Happy to hear it was such an easy fix. I was a bit worried you had found a new issue.

Curious what settings you ended up with for pos/neg pitch in your TA?

Btw, that was some nice flying!
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Last edited by bytemuncher; Feb 27, 2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:24 AM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
i think the best way to know if you have the decent pitch is the heli should lift off just after 50% throttle (55-60% my heli is in the air).
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
I did suggest metal gears and I also suggested break away servo arms as another possible solution http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.ph...46&postcount=3

Anyway, if you or anyone else has ideas please shoot them an email. Also wouldn't hurt to thank them for taking action...assuming they follow through with this replacement gear set.

info@walkera.com
heli@walkera.com

*edit* Gear set now available on hobbyone http://www.hobbyone.com.hk/cn/product.jsp?id=11070

if you could help a fellow flyer then could you contact them again? hobbyone.hk site no longer carries the gears. I think some people on Taiwan ebay bought up all their gears to sell. there should be a limit to how many hobbyone can sell so they dont sell out. I had heard that people need a taiwan I.D in order to purchase off ruten and taiwan ebay. that keaves us in the U.S. having to buy whole servos to replace the gears again. Please help!
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Happy to hear it was such as easy fix. I was a bit worried you had found a new issue.

I ended up with 70 70 on my pitch travel.
achogg33 is offline Find More Posts by achogg33
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:03 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
there should be a limit to how many hobbyone can sell so they dont sell out.
Yeah, that's weird they sold out so fast. Wonder who bought them all

Seriously though, I only ordered 6 sets and they threw in an extra one. Anyway, I've read a few posts saying that other vendors will be getting orders in soon...at least one other vendor I guess.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,667 Posts
Quote:
Happy to hear it was such an easy fix. I was a bit worried you had found a new issue.

TH curve is set to 72% for H and L and TRAVADJ is set to 100% H and 90% L.

I don't think it's quite right but it sure flips a lot easier, as in, the tail holds. I think I need to look at mechanical setup as suggested by hog (thanks for the tip). Looks like the pitch on my blades is on the neg side a bit.

I'm done for the day-about to watch a movie-but I'll look into that tomorrow.

Thanks again, guys.

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
thats like a little bag of gold. you want send me a few for some cash? just need 3 gears. is that possible? currently my heli is down until I buy servos or gears. I miss flying it so much
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:56 AM
Tokyo
Joined Sep 2009
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr View Post
Hi,

wouldn't it be possible to mount the Genius RX vertically? I tried to initialize my genius cp while holding it in a vertical position and it did initialize, so I figured it might work during flight as well (in 3 axis mode). Could you confirm whether it does or does not work?
Hi tdr,
I think to use it in vertical mount the genius's RX board is necessary to change the assignments of each axis in the firmware

Quote:
Hi Tipstar, interesting way to deal with the reversed pitch servo. Do you think this setup flies as well as the original genius?
Hi bytemuncher,
Though I tried it at the beginning, was not good. The REVERS setup in 1 servo mode does not set up only one servo independently, it is the reversal setup of each function. For example, if it sets to REVS of PIT, the vertical motion of the swash plate will be reversed by throttle stick operation.
Tipstar is offline Find More Posts by Tipstar