SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:42 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Regarding the main motor, is the 1220FC a new part? I can't seem to find one. I want one for my genius classic.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:22 PM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
Regarding the main motor, is the 1220FC a new part? I can't seem to find one. I want one for my genius classic.
First the heli comes out then the parts show up. There is only one vendor that have listed like Ehirobo
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny
Last edited by vronny; Jan 13, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Feb 2008
143 Posts
Does the Rx firmware upgrade feature require the Devo 8S, or can the user update it with older radios?
Zoide is offline Find More Posts by Zoide
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:43 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
First the heli comes out then the parts show up. There is only one vendor that have listed like Ehirobo
Okay, so the motor is a new part then...not an existing part. Thought it might be used already by another model.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:02 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post
Does the Rx firmware upgrade feature require the Devo 8S, or can the user update it with older radios?
Good question - once the telemetry module has been fitted in the Devo 8 and 12 will you also have the Rx upgrade feature or is that some new feature that is only in the new Devo 8S and what about the new Devo 12S

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:07 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Polac View Post
Not to sound negative or anything but FBL systems are already small(IE: Walkeras). The reason Beastx, VBar, 3GX, CYG and all the other FBL systems are not as small as walkeras is because they don't need to be.

If some main brand USA/German/ETC.. Company makes a 100 size heli im sure they will come out with a FBL system for it. But until then they have a reason to make one that small and wont.
The FBL systems used in Walkera micros are still very basic compared to those used in larger helis. They may be alright for sports flying but are very deficient with 3D. That is why Manny said that the flybarred 4G6 is the most 3D capable heli ever.

The FBL systems in larger helis have a number of parameters to set up. It can take several hours to set up a Vbar system properly for 3D flight. If they are not set up properly, the heli may not even fly. This can be done through buttons or through a hand held programmer, or even through a laptop at the flying field.

Obviously, buttons are not practical for the receivers in micro helis. But it may be possible to do it via a data port using either the transmitter or a laptop. Obviously, this will make things much more complicated for the average flyer but the pressure will be on the manufacturers to produce better and better FBL systems for 3D.

PS: there is actually a full blown FBL system available specifically for Walkera 120 sized micros. It is called the Micro Rondo whose Walkera edition has sockets for Walkera servos. You can then use a satellite receiver from another transmitter brand to control it.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:27 PM
El Dorado de Helicópteros
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
The FBL systems used in Walkera micros are still very basic compared to those used in larger helis. They may be alright for sports flying but are very deficient with 3D. That is why Manny said that the flybarred 4G6 is the most 3D capable heli ever.

The FBL systems in larger helis have a number of parameters to set up. It can take several hours to set up a Vbar system properly for 3D flight. If they are not set up properly, the heli may not even fly. This can be done through buttons or through a hand held programmer, or even through a laptop at the flying field.

Obviously, buttons are not practical for the receivers in micro helis. But it may be possible to do it via a data port using either the transmitter or a laptop. Obviously, this will make things much more complicated for the average flyer but the pressure will be on the manufacturers to produce better and better FBL systems for 3D.

PS: there is actually a full blown FBL system available specifically for Walkera 120 sized micros. It is called the Micro Rondo whose Walkera edition has sockets for Walkera servos. You can then use a satellite receiver from another transmitter brand to control it.

I totally agree with you but i wasn't talking about how well they work...

All the systems above will work in a smaller package, software is software and there's no size limitation to it, the only reason that company's don't make them smaller is that the means to produce them becomes more expensive and would make the price very unattractive but the software would stay the same and only the size of the box it's in changes.

I wasn't saying that walkera FBL systems worked extremely well. I was just saying anyone could make them that small or smaller. It just makes it more expensive to produce.

A FBL system is defined by its ease to program, function, and all the extras it has like self leveling, governor, etc... and how well those work.

Regards,
Jacob
Proud Polac is offline Find More Posts by Proud Polac
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:01 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Just skimmed through the manual. It looks like there is a knob on the rx to adjust the ele/ail gyro. However, didn't see any mention of a port for updating so not sure how that's going to work.

http://www.walkera-heli.com/manual/manual-minicp.pdf
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:25 AM
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
Just skimmed through the manual. It looks like there is a knob on the rx to adjust the ele/ail gyro. However, didn't see any mention of a port for updating so not sure how that's going to work.

http://www.walkera-heli.com/manual/manual-minicp.pdf
At pag. 9 (12 for pdf file), in the section 6.4 Guideline of Receiver use, there is the point (4) Upgrade receiver where they explain how to use AIL and ELEV channels to upgrade, with illustration too.
But no others instructions are provided....
helicopcat is offline Find More Posts by helicopcat
Last edited by helicopcat; Jan 14, 2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:41 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Thanks for the link, I speculate the 1220FC (Iron core/Carbon Brush) is better than the old 1220FE (Iron Core/Precious Metal Brush), not sure about this as i dont have one of course and who knows what the actual production model will have in it...... but it's pretty hard to imagine they would use those old type motors in something so new, figure on the motor itself to be about ~11,000kv. This is the 4#3b CP people wanted 5 years ago and could have never been made with a FlyBar..

PS.. All you got to do is take a mini flashlight to one of the holes on the side of the motor and after some contortions you can see the brushes
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Jan 14, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:46 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopcat View Post
At pag. 9 (12 for pdf file), in the section 6.4 Guideline of Receiver use, there is the point (4) Upgrade receiver where they explain how to use AIL and ELEV channels to upgrade, with illustration too.
Ah, I completely missed that. Curious how that works.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:53 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2011
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I have to agree with TomZ: the design of the MCPx is superior to the Genius although its performance is not.
I did a search for Tom Z and genius and mcp as keywords, but did not find where he said this. Can you elaborate, or tell me where I can find the post where he suggests this?

Thanks.

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline Find More Posts by Nomad57
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:04 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57 View Post
I did a search for Tom Z and genius and mcp as keywords, but did not find where he said this. Can you elaborate, or tell me where I can find the post where he suggests this?

Thanks.

Nomad
TomZ said in the main Genius thread that he preferred the MCPx because of the combined main frame and skids of the Genius. There was a big negative reaction to his comments and basically he retracted that and altered his post. Therefore you will not find it anymore.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:23 PM
El Dorado de Helicópteros
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Yes I will be... Walkera is on a break for Chinese New Year so it will be a bit before they get back and ship it to me.

Bob
Looks like Finless will test one and we will get some nice vids on it
Proud Polac is offline Find More Posts by Proud Polac
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopcat View Post
IMO, they "butchered" this data Xfer mod.

Instead of "hardwiring" the RX upgrade (making us consecutively un-plug/re-plug "PITA" connectors two times per RX upgrade data Xfer), why not "beam" the RX upgrade data using the existing 2.4 GHz RF Data Channel while on the ground during the "binding/upgrade" session?

Doesn 't telemetry mean communication through the air?
(Why not program the TX/RX pairs to communcate with each other through the air?)
(shouldn't take any hardware changes?)

I'm suspecting with the "hardwire" method, new RX sales will increase each time Walkera offers a "free" upgrade.

If available, I like "hands-off" approach better. Less things to break.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Jan 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling