HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
I am wondering where wow is getting this better battery. Also, they didn't change much. How much extra are they charging for the So called pro?
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
864 Posts
I highly doubt the battery is any better than the stock mini's and I think they're charging around $20 more for the Genius geared "pro". I was going to order from them until someone posted about helircstore (thanks again!) but they emailed me back saying the rx, tx neck strap and stuff that comes with them from Walkera is not included.

These companies really tick me off. They're probably already making a killing on these Chinese toys but get even greedier and take parts out of them to raise profits even more and sell a "pro" model simply with a $4 gear.

</rant>
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
OMG, I sold 5 batteries new that were 15c and a guy with a genius bought them. He says, I charged them up and they don't work. I asked him what are you using them in? He says a genius. They won't fly a genius, it needs 20c batteries. He just doesn't get it. I had the specs in the for sale ad.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
OMG, I sold 5 batteries new that were 15c and a guy with a genius bought them. He says, I charged them up and they don't work. I asked him what are you using them in? He says a genius. They won't fly a genius, it needs 20c batteries. He just doesn't get it. I had the specs in the for sale ad.
Lol, I saw your ad and figured that would happen.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Thats just my luck , what if this guy makes some kind of paypal claim or something?

Finally the pm's stopped. Took 4 messages of me explaining to him in different ways that a genius cannot fly 15c batteries.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
864 Posts
La caveat emptor
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder_ View Post
another devo8 rant: after these short two sessions outdoors today, i had only 1 bar of battery left, started with freshly charged 2000mAh nimh cells. is that normal or was that because of me checking the radio out?
This is probably not the answer you were trying to get because I don't own a Devo, but I use Qty 8 AA NiMh batteries in my 2801Pro, and it lasts many many micro Walkera heli flights.

Devo 8 has Qty 4 AA NiMh batteries, so if everything else was equal, Devo 8 should only transmit 1/2 amount of time as 2801Pro because of 1/2 the battery power capability.

The 2801Pro TX has no power adjustments, so it is "microwaving" at full 100 mW output power the entire time the ON button is on.

The Devo's have capability of putting out same amount of full power, and if I remember correctly someone posted that full power has a range of 2 km?

Without FPV, I doubt anyone will ever fly their gcp 2 km away. I'm guessing not even 100 m away. If so, there is no reason to have the Devo's blasting microwaves at full power unless you're trying to roast some "nuts" that might be nearby. If you don't have intention of fly really way out, high, or roasting nearby nuts, and don't want to re-charge the TX as often, then I'd advise turning the TX power level down. My recommendation is to pre-determine what the max distance you'd ever consider flying, "bench" test and adjust power level so the RX/TX is able to communicate twice the desired distance just to be on the safe side. You might find 10 mW is good enough for the Gcp. If so, the TX's would last ten times the time it did at 100 mW.

BTW, I think I've read that it is illegal for Jap's and maybe some Europeans to RC above 10 mW. People have posted having problems getting their TX's through their country's customs until customs received a legally authorized certificate from TX manufacturer stating it passed the power and other restrictions. I imagine if Japs and others (Germans?) have no problems flying their big stuff, us micro guys shouldn't have any "room" to complain flying under a self-imposed 10mW "radar" restriction.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Feb 25, 2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopteri2010 View Post
Impressive wireless video coming from something a lightweight gcp can lift.

I was expecting worse due to them being both 2.4 GHz systems.

Please tell us more about the wireless cam. Is there a link to more details?

Also, any ideas why the audio had "cracks" in it?
Last edited by i812; Feb 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:59 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
i think the big problem with the motor is it weighs almost twice as much as the genius motor 5.5g vs 10g.

i do not really like how the RX is mounted. seems it's prone to micro vibrations since the RX has no support closer to the top it tends to have this micro vibration ("buzzing") if you touch it while holding heli in hand. anyone else have this problem? the entire heli is vibration free but the RX isn't and i think this micro vibration leads to CCW drift..
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:16 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub View Post
the entire heli is vibration free but the RX isn't and i think this micro vibration leads to CCW drift..
I don't think so, I'm guessing it's just a cheap gyro that has trouble finding and keeping "center". Bopepine found a way to trick it for a few flights. Been discussed at length in this thread http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=368255 . Lots of theories.

Anyway, with a program mix I don't notice it anymore.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
I hate being sarcastic when I'd rather be realistic; however, I'm guessing based on past history, it will take a few months after Walkera starts selling this TX before we figure out some of the D10 specs/differences?

IMO, Walkera needs better marketing/advertising skills. All we have to go by is a photo! I could see how a photo would be useful if Walkera was trying to sell mail order brides to some customers that only care about outside appearance, but I'm the type that wants to know more of what's going on under "skin" before making long term expensive commitments.

But yeah, from first appearances, IMO the D10 has about as much glamor appeal as a D7. From what I understand, the worst aspect of the D7 is it's front view/display. From the looks of their advertising, showing a tiny front view of the D10, and a larger view of its rear end, the rear end must be the D10's best feature. I'll think I'll pass on this one, cause I'm more of a front guy! (backends don't do much for me)

Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:19 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
You might find 10 mW is good enough for the Gcp. If so, the TX's would last ten times the time it did at 100 mW.
The color touchscreen is the main culprit for fast battery drain. If you're making a lot of changes, as is usually when first getting a heli, then the screen will be on more and batteries will drain quicker.

Of course lowering power output of the radio should help, but setting to touch screen to sleep after 15-30 seconds is the biggest battery saver.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowhobbies View Post
Redefining the micro helicopter- We have tested the Mini CP-PRO and rated it the world's #1 micro performer in 2012. Not the one Walkera is shipping now, probably the one in your hand, LOL. It is not too late, you can still upgrade it yourself or buy a new PRO version.

We call it the PRO version since it is not stock and flies way better.

Cheers,
Jonathan
www.WowHobbies.com
I would have bought an RTF from you months ago, but have been waiting for spare mini parts to come in, so I can make an all-inclusive "grand" total purchase.

I've noticed other places have started listing mini spare parts being available recently.

When is Wow expecting to have mini parts in house?

Someone posted earlier this week that Wow wouldn't have mini specific parts until mid March.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
The color touchscreen is the main culprit for fast battery drain. If you're making a lot of changes, as is usually when first getting a heli, then the screen will be on more and batteries will drain quicker.

Of course lowering power output of the radio should help, but setting to touch screen to sleep after 15-30 seconds is the biggest battery saver.
I see.

If it wasn't noticed from my above post, I'm a microwave safety "nut". I'm done having children, but eyeballs are actually the most sensitive part of human body to microwave radiation, and 2.4 GHz is the same frequency used in microwave ovens.

I believe Cells phones have backed off the 2.4 GHz band, just out of concern to human health. From what I understand there is no better frequency capable of cooking deep (a few inches) into meat.

IMO, no need for an RC enthusiast to be "roasting" stuff, when a low "simmer" works well enough at close distances.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:47 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
I hate being sarcastic when I'd rather be realistic; however, I'm guessing based on past history, it will take a few months after Walkera starts selling this TX before we figure out some of the D10 specs/differences?

IMO, Walkera needs better marketing/advertising skills. All we have to go by is a photo! I could see how a photo would be useful if Walkera was trying to sell mail order brides to some customers that only care about outside appearance, but I'm the type that wants to know more of what's going on under "skin" before making long term expensive commitments.

But yeah, from first appearances, IMO the D10 has about as much glamor appeal as a D7. From what I understand, the worst aspect of the D7 is it's front view/display. From the looks of their advertising, showing a tiny front view of the D10, and a larger view of its rear end, the rear end must be the D10's best feature. I'll think I'll pass on this one, cause I'm more of a front guy! (backends don't do much for me)

Just as the 7 is the budget option next to the 8, the 10 is for the 12. Is indeed just a 7 with 2 more ch and maybe slightly diff programming. Think it does offer visual curves though which was a big gripe with the 7 for some people. I dont see many people flying 8+ channel birds and buying this radio.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF