SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder_ View Post
got my MCP today from banggood....

there is no receiver in the box but banggood clearly state that the package contains one, so I gonna drop them a message and expect them to send one.

hovered it a bit indoors, the blades had some minor contact and a servo broke during the first flight.... really??? its like the gears are made from butter

luckily I could turn the deffective gear a few degree and it kinda works again, even though it clicks a bit but seems to work. I did the servo saver mod on that servo but am not happy with it, every slight ground contact and you have to move it back into position, a bit annoying and I won't be doing this mod an the other 2 servos, I guess I have to stock some gear sets. Walkera needs to release metal gears!

put in the C05 BL, could fly 3 batteries but then it started to behave weird, motor had trouble and it was as if all batteries were empty, the LED on the brushed to BL board is flickering... had to convert back to stock motor.

while figuring out what was wrong one of the screws that hold the blades just fell out into the grass and was never seen since ... wow... luckily that did not happen during flight. the screw was definitly fully screwed in, the thread is gone, i never touched it. have to use proper screws with nuts on both blades now. oh, and the front of the skid broke of too and is lost.

am not happy with the devo 8s. it has no potis?! so no inflight gain control. a radio at this price should have some potis IMO. the display is of low quality, the contrast is so bad that even indoors you have to look twice to read some things. the touch screen is not one of these current generation capacitive once... not impressed. a couple of the menu items have text that is too long and hence you can't see the full text in the menu... what a lousy thing. the timer can only be activated using a switch, not by the throttle stick. the font size of the timer is too small, you can't read this during a flight, especially not outdoors. I would definately not use this radio in any other model unless its a walkera product, my turnigy 9x is magnitudes better then this junk radio. I wish I had gone for the devo 7, honestly.

all in all not impressed with the whole set. OK, the heli flies nice and stable out of the box but thats about it. would not buy it again, actually thinking about selling it.
Mulder, have you ever flown a collective pitch helicopter? I clicked on your name and it seems you only fly fixed pitch heli's. Maybe that's why you are crashing so much. I understand about the devo 8 issues. But not the mini cp's.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:29 PM
FPV Pilot
Germany, NRW, K
Joined Jun 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
Mulder, have you ever flown a collective pitch helicopter? I clicked on your name and it seems you only fly fixed pitch heli's. Maybe that's why you are crashing so much. I understand about the devo 8 issues. But not the mini cp's.
my profile is never up to date and never complete. I have a HK450 which I can fly (no 3d though). two micro FPs for indoors which got me interested in a micro CP heli. some planes and 2 quadrotos.

I was doing 3 inverted flies today with the MCP, something that I have never done so far and prob never would have done with the 450, so thats a good thing. I wouldn't crash it if i were flying it like a 450, but thats not why I got this micro

the servos seem to be rather fragile, but maybe it was bad luck?

another devo8 rant: after these short two sessions outdoors today, i had only 1 bar of battery left, started with freshly charged 2000mAh nimh cells. is that normal or was that because of me checking the radio out?

EDIT: is it worth testing if these servos will fit in the MCP?
Mulder_ is offline Find More Posts by Mulder_
Last edited by Mulder_; Feb 25, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,327 Posts
Servos are much more likely to be damaged if you crash inverted. In fact, FBL helis are more likely to strip servos than fly-barred helis in a crash. I would pick out an area with grass to practice 3D. Also, make sure that you hit the throttle hold in time and enter the flips from a good height.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Tell that to the mcpx guys, it isnt out of the question for it to mess with tail hold We had no adjustable gain so the only choice was boom extension, dual or sr tail motor. 5mm made a difference when i was brushless but not stock...though brushless is less powerful than the stock miniCP. Motor tail boom length has similar effect to mechanically setting up a vp tail
Well, this isn't the mcpX and I never owned or flown one so I can't speak about eflite. 1/2mm made a difference? Sorry but that simply doesn't make any sense to me... But again... I never owned eflite mcpx so if you say so... I can't agree nor disagree. Just sounds unreal to me.

Heck, I made a tail boom out of solid CF rod for the Mini CP and I cut it up about 1 inch longer than the stock boom. It flew fine, it flipped fine. Just was a bit heavier so I didn't use it much. I still have it. Maybe I'll put it on and show a flight demo. Flies just fine at 1 inch longer. Now that's a heck of a lot more than 1/2mm....

Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:23 PM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Well, this isn't the mcpX and I never owned or flown one so I can't speak about eflite. 1/2mm made a difference? Sorry but that simply doesn't make any sense to me... But again... I never owned eflite mcpx so if you say so... I can't agree nor disagree. Just sounds unreal to me.

Heck, I made a tail boom out of solid CF rod for the Mini CP and I cut it up about 1 inch longer than the stock boom. It flew fine, it flipped fine. Just was a bit heavier so I didn't use it much. I still have it. Maybe I'll put it on and show a flight demo. Flies just fine at 1 inch longer. Now that's a heck of a lot more than 1/2mm....

Chris
Chris,

I think that's a period at the end his sentence after "sr tail motor.", and then the next sentence starts with "5mm made a difference". So he is referencing your "few mm difference" comment with 5mm, and you thought he was saying .5mm.

Just observing (but I could be wrong)....

-Shane
ShaneXman is offline Find More Posts by ShaneXman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ShaneXman; Feb 25, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:24 PM
FPV Pilot
Germany, NRW, K
Joined Jun 2010
273 Posts
is there a better place to get rep servo gears than this one shop which want $18 shipping?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneXman View Post
Chris,

I think that's a period at the end his sentence after "sr tail motor.", and then the next sentence starts with "5mm made a difference". So he is referencing your "few" comment with 5mm, and you thought he was saying .5mm.

Just observing (but I could be wrong)....

-Shane
Oh... Well... I guess 5mm is 1/2cm. That's a lot more. With a stock tail boom pulled out 5mm on the Mini CP, you will probably have issues as the tail boom will not be tight in place and it will have some pretty nasty play up, down, left and right. Tail wag is probably the first thing you would notice.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Servos are much more likely to be damaged if you crash inverted. In fact, FBL helis are more likely to strip servos than fly-barred helis in a crash. I would pick out an area with grass to practice 3D. Also, make sure that you hit the throttle hold in time and enter the flips from a good height.
+! on the 3 mistakes high rule, sounds like the servo saver mod is the way to go.......but like most of this fine tunning stuff it has to be done just right.

IMO walkera helis at least the ones i have from 100 size up to 450 size FB & FBL give you the best bang for the buck, but not even that its a modelers model. If your a christmas time heli pilot your better off buying blade, but if you got the heli bug real bad and are into the hobby, reading magazines, tons of threads, following the latest technologies (not just the micros) etc.. and interested in becoming a better pilot there really is no better choice.

But with that being said walkera has its quirks being that they are so fast paced with technology, that it can be hard to keep up. I have the t450 pro FB and a v450 and i have preferred the V450 not because its better engineered but because its just more fun to fly and with the 2702V, which reportedly when released was all this hoopla about how hard it is to set up is actually today the easiest 3 axis gyro you can set up set the radio, give it max elev hit the set button, hit max aile hit the set button same for the tail limits the RX learns the radio not the radio learning the RX. Its simplicity and it works. Its a 3 axis gyro that uses 120* swash 3 servo CCPM from the radio, not 90* 1 servo 3 axis. Its unique in that the mixing is done in the radio, and the thing will almost hands off hover and its just pure joy to fly with the right electronics installed.

Walkera gives the modeler the building blocks to make the model, and they do it for a reasonable price. you look at spectrum DX8 with telemetry and its fast 2048 resolution and 11ms response time, but in reality its all marketing gimmicks for spec freaks. In the end your not going to notice a .4ms response time on a servo movement unless your a machine on the sticks and have an O-scope in your fingers . Walkera works for me, for those who have trouble its always been the end user who either had a bad case of luck or just didnt have the skills to make it work. Sorry but those are the hard facts

I remember my first Walkera was a 4G6, its pissed me off when i couldnt get it to fly so i bought another one and the another. I was determined to make it fly and learn how to make it fly like i knew other guys were doing. Now I can humbly fix them in 10 mins and know each problem and fix for them all the time evertime. It just takes time to learn.

I bet half of the parts that are labled bad in bins are perfectly fine, I know this because when i finally came around i had all these parts that i thought were bad but when i installed them right they worked just fine. Its a funny thing how that works. The main thing is to not give up no matter what
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:54 PM
FPV Pilot
Germany, NRW, K
Joined Jun 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
+! on the 3 mistakes high rule, sounds like the servo saver mod is the way to go.......but like most of this fine tunning stuff it has to be done just right.

IMO walkera helis at least the ones i have from 100 size up to 450 size FB & FBL give you the best bang for the buck, but not even that its a modelers model. If your a christmas time heli pilot your better off buying blade, but if you got the heli bug real bad and are into the hobby, reading magazines, tons of threads, following the latest technologies (not just the micros) etc.. and interested in becoming a better pilot there really is no better choice.

But with that being said walkera has its quirks being that they are so fast paced with technology, that it can be hard to keep up. I have the t450 pro FB and a v450 and i have preferred the V450 not because its better engineered but because its just more fun to fly and with the 2702V, which reportedly when released was all this hoopla about how hard it is to set up is actually today the easiest 3 axis gyro you can set up set the radio, give it max elev hit the set button, hit max aile hit the set button same for the tail limits the RX learns the radio not the radio learning the RX. Its simplicity and it works. Its a 3 axis gyro that uses 120* swash 3 servo CCPM from the radio, not 90* 1 servo 3 axis. Its unique in that the mixing is done in the radio, and the thing will almost hands off hover and its just pure joy to fly with the right electronics installed.

Walkera gives the modeler the building blocks to make the model, and they do it for a reasonable price. you look at spectrum DX8 with telemetry and its fast 2048 resolution and 11ms response time, but in reality its all marketing gimmicks for spec freaks. In the end your not going to notice a .4ms response time on a servo movement unless your a machine on the sticks and have an O-scope in your fingers . Walkera works for me, for those who have trouble its always been the end user who either had a bad case of luck or just didnt have the skills to make it work. Sorry but those are the hard facts

I remember my first Walkera was a 4G6, its pissed me off when i couldnt get it to fly so i bought another one and the another. I was determined to make it fly and learn how to make it fly like i knew other guys were doing. Now I can humbly fix them in 10 mins and know each problem and fix for them all the time evertime. It just takes time to learn.

I bet half of the parts that are labled bad in bins are perfectly fine, I know this because when i finally came around i had all these parts that i thought were bad but when i installed them right they worked just fine. Its a funny thing how that works. The main thing is to not give up no matter what
i have to disagree. walkeras are the ones for the chistmas tree, they are not modelers helis at all. they are all RTF or BNF. real modeler helis come in kits and you have to build them from scratch with the components of your choice and don't force you to use their proprietry N in 1 receiver boxes and transmitters. i have a HK450 (Align trex clone), its a bit different when you have to build it and choose parts for it instead of getting it out of the box, put battery in and go fly.

you are praising walkera as if they pay your bills "there is no better choice" "best bang for the buck" there is a lot more out there than blade and walkera helis. and IMO, walkera is on the lower end of the scale. you were being ironic right?

"Walkera works for me, for those who have trouble its always been the end user " - don't even know what to say to that....
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
I think I can see both side of the coin, here. Heliflyer is correct on many levels, but Mulder is also right when he mentions modelers buying kits and building them with the components they want.

Walkera is very much a Christmas tree heli, OTOH, when you see top notch pilots flying the V120 or the 4g6, the performance is very hard to deny for these Christmas tree helis... However, such performance seems rather insignificant compared to "real" pro helis in the 250 range and upward. A TRex 250 with the right components will fly circles around any walkeras out there.

Walkeras are entry models: BNF/RTF. Put the batteries in and fly. What I consider to be advanced modeling is quite a bit more complex than just hitting the "buy" button on a RC vendor website and putting the box under a Xmas tree.

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:21 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
huh? List me ANY other company that makes better micro CPs. And if they made kits to be a "real" model list me ANY site that sells servos, 3 axis systems, etc for 100 size helis.
You cannot compare a 450 to a sub micro, thats insane.
I own a ton of Walkera, Nine Eagles CPs, a number of FPs and clones and scale builds and no company that ive seen comes close to Walkera for micros and subs minus the MCPX which is still meh.
Out of 7 Walkera 100-200 size helis ive never just have one break for no reason. I have my gripes but they still make great micros.
Youre also the first person ive seen think the Devo TX sucks, and thinking the 9x is leagues better? I dont know what to think about THAT. A 8ch touchscreen radio (resistive or not) with bearing sticks really nice build quality and super easy and quick programming for $200?
Does it not having rotaries really seal the deal on quality?
My 9x is a crapbox in comparison to the D8 and I dont even use the D8 anymore.

I dunno dude you either got a lemon heli that left a terrible first impression or you want Trex 450 quality in a 100 size heli.

The day futaba, JR etc start making 2g servos and RXs, beastx and mikado start making super super mini vbars, scorpion starts making 5g motors and Align, Saab and others start making micro kits ill buy them, till then Ill make do with the best ones actually avail.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Last edited by RawmadeCF; Feb 25, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder_ View Post
is there a better place to get rep servo gears than this one shop which want $18 shipping?
I know, I was happy to hear that the gears were available until I seen the shipping. To he'll with that. I mentioned the price soon after it was posted and no one said a word. I also posted after I noticed that the battery time for the mini seemed to be only two minutes. No one said a word after that either until we all started to get them.

Itsmillertime had posted a store in the u.s. that will be getting them.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
Why couldn't a 100 size heli have the quality of a 450? Because it would be too expensive for the Xmas tree. 200$ for the Devo? You get what you pay for, IMO. Bottom line is Walkeras are entry level helis. They are cheap and like anything else, if it's cheap, it's for a reason.

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:55 PM
FPV Pilot
Germany, NRW, K
Joined Jun 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
I know, I was happy to hear that the gears were available until I seen the shipping. To he'll with that. I mentioned the price soon after it was posted and no one said a word. I also posted after I noticed that the battery time for the mini seemed to be only two minutes. No one said a word after that either until we all started to get them.

Itsmillertime had posted a store in the u.s. that will be getting them.
I have ordered some of the HK-5320. they seem to have the right plugs and size and are a lot cheaper. will post back if and how they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Why couldn't a 100 size heli have the quality of a 450? Because it would be too expensive for the Xmas tree. 200$ for the Devo? You get what you pay for, IMO. Bottom line is Walkeras are entry level helis. They are cheap and like anything else, if it's cheap, it's for a reason.

Chris
+1. i don't think the size should compromise quality. as for the devo, they should have put a cheaper conventional monochrome display on them and put that money in better software/hardware. If you can't do a good job, don't do it. it reminds me of the first windows touchscreen phones end of 20th century... (readymadeCF, see, not just the missing potis also the display and the software)

@readymadeCF: do you run your 9x with alternative firmware? I recommend er9x. If you use the stock 9x, I agree, its buggy and not very useful at all. er9x firmware transforms this transmitter into something truly awesome IMHO.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Any of you guys who are running a genius motor, I have a question. I run about 7min. With a 350mah battery. At the end of that run the motor is really hot. I then feelthat to.prolong the life of the motor that a break is needed until it's cool again. Do you just keep feeding batteries into a hot motor or wait til it cools?