Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Jul 2006
2 Posts
Discussion
ASW-17 by Astro Flight

I am in the process of building this model. It has a 132" wingspan. I plan on adding an electric motor. The original design did not call for ailerons. An experienced pilot locally said if the plans don't call for it he wouldn't add them. I'm curious what the general consensus is about adding ailerons. It would be a whole lot easier to add them now then later. Personally, I like the added control ailerons offer.
Cheers.
Larry
York, ME
lmazoway@maine.r is offline Find More Posts by lmazoway@maine.r
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:42 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,465 Posts
I personally would add the ailerons and maybe even flaps. If you do add the ailerons, reduce the dyhedral by at least half. When these were designed, servos were not available that would fit in the thin wings. One option you may want to consider is, having a set of foam cores cut with a modern airfoil, this would benefit using both ailerons and flaps, plus you would be able to customize it for slope or thermal capabilities. Just a thought though.

Good luck,
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Last edited by sixty9mustang; Jan 09, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:35 AM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,271 Posts
I have a couple of these kits under my workbench and my dad has flown one for a number of years.

I wouldn't build one without ailerons. It is a very long wing that can be fairly slow to respond. As chip mentioned back in the day the kit was designed it was a heavy and expensive option to add ailerons. Now there is really no reason to NOT add ailerons.

I would also add a little bit of fiberglass to the fuse. Over the years the fiberglass tends to get brittle. A layer or two of glass will strengthen the nose area and will account for some of the nose weight you will probably need anyway.
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun