HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:49 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,600 Posts
Gallery
First video from my new Quad

I have been tuning my new Quad for some time now and I have it pretty close to where I like it. I swapped out my MultiWii board for the OpenPilot CC control board and so far I like it a lot. I am doing an install on my tricopter to compare smoothness, there are a few bumps with the quad I am not used to seeing with the tricopter.

Here is a test clip from this morning, at this location if you lose a motor, you might as well just get in your car and go home

http://www.whispershots.com/Aerial-i...LBvS62G/Medium

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 05:01 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,358 Posts
It's about time. Lol... Well done Mike.

-Tim
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:40 PM
USA, IL, Decatur
Joined Sep 2010
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I have been tuning my new Quad for some time now and I have it pretty close to where I like it. I swapped out my MultiWii board for the OpenPilot CC control board and so far I like it a lot. I am doing an install on my tricopter to compare smoothness, there are a few bumps with the quad I am not used to seeing with the tricopter.

Here is a test clip from this morning, at this location if you lose a motor, you might as well just get in your car and go home

http://www.whispershots.com/Aerial-i...LBvS62G/Medium

Mike
smooth, how does it compare to your Tri's as far as control and stability? the nex5n sure does a great job.

Rick
shutternut is offline Find More Posts by shutternut
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:22 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,600 Posts
The quad is very stable, this said, it has the Openpilot CC board installed and this board has a very nice autoleveling feature. It also has Axislock for yaw, it is like headhold. I am installing the same board on my tricopter this week, I will compare the two after I get the tweaking done.

Mike
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:13 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,368 Posts
Very, very nice, Mike! Well done!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:32 AM
Switzerland, VS, Oberems
Joined Apr 2010
526 Posts
Very nice mike.
Can you please tell me what take off weight your quad has and what kind of lipos you are flying. i also had the luck to get me a cc board and as soon i have time i ll finish my quad also.

Best, Angelo
w4Rd3n is online now Find More Posts by w4Rd3n
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:08 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4Rd3n View Post
Very nice mike.
Can you please tell me what take off weight your quad has and what kind of lipos you are flying. i also had the luck to get me a cc board and as soon i have time i ll finish my quad also.

Best, Angelo
My Quad weighs in at about the same as my tri 3.25 lbs. I did eliminate the under slung cam mount. I will post som pis of what I came up with this evening...

3s 2200 lipos

Mike
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:24 PM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,661 Posts
Very nice video ....Mike!!
Can you show your camera Mount setup
Tx
Guy
guyg is online now Find More Posts by guyg
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:38 PM
UK, Cornwall, Truro
Joined Feb 2009
381 Posts
Nice job Mike as always.
Any feedback on the new motors you were going to try?

Rick
Ricky401 is offline Find More Posts by Ricky401
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:12 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,600 Posts
Here are a few (blurry, sorry I was pressed for time ) shots of my setup. It is very simple, I used a piece of aluminum for the mount. I drilled oversized holes and pushed in small rubber grommets. This way when the screws and lock nuts pass through it allows for a little vibration dampening.

The aluminum plate is bent at 15 to 20 deg. This is the angle I shoot everything at and it covers pretty much everything I need. The rear stick on my quad allows for the pack to counter balance the quad. Even with the cam at this location the props/motors are not visible. This will not be the case with a GoPro

Rick, thr RCtigers are purring like kittens so far. I do like them a lot. They are a bit louder overall than my AXI's but I can live with that for the price

Mike
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:01 AM
YOW
Joined Sep 2004
272 Posts
Mike, great video. Why did you change from under slung to front mount?
VictorYOW is offline Find More Posts by VictorYOW
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorYOW View Post
Mike, great video. Why did you change from under slung to front mount?
Thanks,

Good question...With the wm+ board installed the quad was not as stable as my tri for video so I took off the underslung mount and cut the legs short so I could use it as more of a sport ship. Shortly after doing this I installed the CC Openpilot board and with the autolevel feature it was a lot better, this got me thinking about video again and I tossed around camera mounting ideas while keeping the legs short and this is what I ended up with. It ended up a lot lighter without the long legs and cam platform. I am now at the same weight fully loaded as my tricopter.

Mike
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
YOW
Joined Sep 2004
272 Posts
So, does that mean you were flying only in manual mode with the WM+ but you are planning to fly with auto level mode on the CC board? If that video was made entirely in auto level mode than the CC board has an exceptional auto level feature. However, the limited availability of the CC board sure is a bummer.
VictorYOW is offline Find More Posts by VictorYOW
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:44 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorYOW View Post
So, does that mean you were flying only in manual mode with the WM+ but you are planning to fly with auto level mode on the CC board? If that video was made entirely in auto level mode than the CC board has an exceptional auto level feature. However, the limited availability of the CC board sure is a bummer.
Yes, the entire video was shot in attitude mode (autolevel) you are so right...I am trying not to get too attached to the board because I know how hard they are to get a hold of.

It does have a good autolevel, but it does have some drift once and a while. Nothing that I can't live with

Mike
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
462 Posts
veery nice
Jem3 is offline Find More Posts by Jem3