SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:07 PM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,428 Posts
Discussion
Ultra-micro trainer/slow-flyer (with plans)

I've just been doing RC for a little over 2 years now but I've been building model planes for over 20 years. All free-flight, some rubber powered but mostly chuck gliders.

In last 2 years of building RC planes I've had to re-learn a lot about plane design and build techniques because RC planes are typically twice to four times the size of free-flight planes that I used to build. I've seen micro gear in the market but they were all too pricey, underpowered and/or esoteric for me.

Some time in mid-2011 Hobbyking started selling very interesting and affordable sub-micro gear starting with some sub-micro servos, then a fine looking 5g brushless motor, and now they even have what looks like a nice (if a bit buggy) family of sub-micro radio gear.

So about a month ago (that's how long it takes on average for me to receive Hobbyking shipments) I decided to take the plunge and got myself the 5g motor and a pair of very tiny 1.7g servos. This build is mostly to test out the gear I bought. So it's more of a quick prototype. But I loved the result so much I decided to draw up plans for it (after the fact) and post it here.

Here's the main hardware I'm testing:

- Motor: Turnigy 5g 2000kv brushless outrunner : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6312
- Servos: a pair of HK-5320 Ultra-Micro servos (1.7g) : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17540

Everything else is regular non-micro gear:

- Receiver: Hobbyking/Flysky/Eurgle GT-2 3 channel receiver.(Cover and servo connectors removed, antenna shortened)
- ESC: Hobbyking SS 8-10A.(Heat shrink removed)
- Battery: Rhino 2S 360mAh.(yes, it's a 2s system)

AUW ended up being 60g with batteries and max static thrust is just under 50g. Wingspan is 18 inches. And it flies like a trainer should. Even glides well. It's maybe a little too fast for me for indoor flying with this setup but it flies outdoors beautifully and can handle quite a bit of wind (for a micro). I'm waiting for a lighter 180mAh battery from hobbyking that should reduce the weight by 5-10g.

So, now I'm back building at a scale that I've grown up with. What I'm most comfortable with. And here's the result:

Homebrew ultra-micro trainer (0 min 49 sec)
slebetman is online now Find More Posts by slebetman
Last edited by slebetman; Jan 08, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,428 Posts
Plans!

And as promised, here are the plans. Note that the landing gear are not in the plans - you'll have to improvise or just belly land.

* Fun fact: the filenames for the plans are micro_zenith because the fuselage is based on the outline of the Zenith CH 750. The wings however are definitely non-scale.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:47 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Aalst
Joined Apr 2011
87 Posts
Hi Slebetman,

Looks very nice.

Another one to add to my neverending list.

Thanks for the plans.

Greetz,

Pesadilla
pesadilla is offline Find More Posts by pesadilla
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesadilla View Post
Thanks for the plans.
You're welcome. Feel free to ask for any clarifications in case the plans are not clear. Sometimes it's not obvious to me that I've forgotten to mention something.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:35 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Cute!

Grateful for the motor and servo information.

Have you tried anything like:
servo: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11737
motor and ESC: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10005
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
No. Those are 1S gear. Unfortunately, due to budget constraints, I don't have a 1S charger. Could build one for cheap but haven't found the time. That's why I went with the motor I got. It's 2S capable.

To be honest the servos I'm using are 1S servos but I read somewhere online that it works on 2S. So far I haven't let the magic blue smoke out of them yet. Besides, the servos I'm using are 1.7g as well and are less likely to bind.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:01 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
You might be able to get a used Hobbyzone or Parkzone 1S charger that is bundled with their ultra-micro planes -- there must be a million of them out there and half a million surviving planes to use them on!

Might as well get the bundled transmitter, too, and go DSM2 -- cheapest receivers nowadays are the 6 ch Spektrum compatible Oranges. Throw away the case, and they're very small and light.

ps, the Hobbyzone Champ charger is better than the Parkzone versions -- it has a jack for a wall power supply, not just AA cells, for charging supply. The Parkzone is battery supply only.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
You might be able to get a used Hobbyzone or Parkzone 1S charger that is bundled with their ultra-micro planes -- there must be a million of them out there and half a million surviving planes to use them on!
Hey, great idea. I'll keep an eye out for them on ebay. Not a big fan of DSM2 though. I'm like my frequency hopping system.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:08 AM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Neat little build, love the landing gear, kind of has a "Fred Flintstone", look to it.

I'm kind of doing the same thing your doing, most of my planes have been 25" to 50" foamies. Now I'm building a old Comet balsa kit of a Stinson sr-7, 25" ws.

Going to use the 10 gram HK motor and 3.5 gram servos. Building light and small sure brings new challanges.

Best of luck with the new bird...

Bill
Bill Smudge is online now Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smudge View Post
Going to use the 10 gram HK motor and 3.5 gram servos. Building light and small sure brings new challanges.
Which motor? I've had lots of luck with this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5358

Got a couple of successful designs based on it.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:36 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
640 Posts
Neat little plane.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,428 Posts
The 180mAh batteries finally arrived! It now flies ultra-slow. Interestingly, I haven't noticed any significant reduction in flight times. I guess the reduced mAh is offset by the reduced wing loading.

I don't have a proper indoor venue to fly it in so decided to take it to an outdoor basketball court to see if it can fly within its bounds. And it did:

Flying in a basketball court (0 min 41 sec)
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
where's de CG?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman View Post
I've just been doing RC for a little over 2 years now but I've been building model planes for over 20 years. All free-flight, some rubber powered but mostly chuck gliders.

In last 2 years of building RC planes I've had to re-learn a lot about plane design and build techniques because RC planes are typically twice to four times the size of free-flight planes that I used to build. I've seen micro gear in the market but they were all too pricey, underpowered and/or esoteric for me.

Some time in mid-2011 Hobbyking started selling very interesting and affordable sub-micro gear starting with some sub-micro servos, then a fine looking 5g brushless motor, and now they even have what looks like a nice (if a bit buggy) family of sub-micro radio gear.

So about a month ago (that's how long it takes on average for me to receive Hobbyking shipments) I decided to take the plunge and got myself the 5g motor and a pair of very tiny 1.7g servos. This build is mostly to test out the gear I bought. So it's more of a quick prototype. But I loved the result so much I decided to draw up plans for it (after the fact) and post it here.

Here's the main hardware I'm testing:

- Motor: Turnigy 5g 2000kv brushless outrunner : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6312
- Servos: a pair of HK-5320 Ultra-Micro servos (1.7g) : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17540

Everything else is regular non-micro gear:

- Receiver: Hobbyking/Flysky/Eurgle GT-2 3 channel receiver.(Cover and servo connectors removed, antenna shortened)
- ESC: Hobbyking SS 8-10A.(Heat shrink removed)
- Battery: Rhino 2S 360mAh.(yes, it's a 2s system)

AUW ended up being 60g with batteries and max static thrust is just under 50g. Wingspan is 18 inches. And it flies like a trainer should. Even glides well. It's maybe a little too fast for me for indoor flying with this setup but it flies outdoors beautifully and can handle quite a bit of wind (for a micro). I'm waiting for a lighter 180mAh battery from hobbyking that should reduce the weight by 5-10g.

So, now I'm back building at a scale that I've grown up with. What I'm most comfortable with. And here's the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__otle9ZRc0
Very nice plane!!!!!! thanks a lot!!!!, but could you tell me where's de CG???
Ferboeing is offline Find More Posts by Ferboeing
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferboeing View Post
Very nice plane!!!!!! thanks a lot!!!!, but could you tell me where's de CG???
As usual roughly 1/3 the chord of the wing. Approximately where I glued the bamboo spar in the pictures.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:41 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,982 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to prepare and post the plans and photographs. I am grateful.

I am a Boy Scout leader and have been working with the young men in my Troop, building models. Your aircraft, because of your combining balsa and foam in the construction, uses many of the skills I have taught the Scouts in designing, building and modifying (and repairing) their small RC cars and boats.

We have been using the small 4-ch "blade" spektrum transmitters that are provided with the Parkzone and Hobbyzone RTF aircraft and the Orange receivers.

I believe your design may just be the one I use to introduce them to RC aircraft.

David
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member