HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:38 PM
Joined Apr 2005
401 Posts
HP, brianvc, and AR, thank you for the S-800 parts links. Have a couple S-800's not broken (yet ) and they are fun flyers and with some quirks but for $20 new for one and less than $18 for a used shark S-800, I'm not complaining!

BTW, Amazon has listed the S-800 for some time at $20.99 with their Free Super Saver Shipping and sold by Halley R Us, one of HP's favorite sellers. S-107 prices at Amazon still are a few dollars higher.

I did purchase some HCW 537 parts from feala.com some months ago and they did ship promptly.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:48 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,616 Posts
No kidding. The S800G is cheaper than the S107G! Go figure!
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:44 PM
Joined Apr 2005
401 Posts
Noticed last night, Amazon S107 prices now lower than the S800's.

S107 colors vary, $20.85.
S107 red, $20.87, both from Battery Superstore.

S800, $21.99.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
I will have mine tomorrow. I have been flying my friends for a few weeks on lunch breaks. I think it does amazingly well for something a heli that only cost $21.00. I have seen Cheep 2 channel ones at rite aid on sale for $20.00. And the air hog sharpshooter cost over $30.00! and flies no where near as good.
zoomer088 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer088
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,616 Posts
That's true. $21 for 4 channels. That's like $5 a channel! LOL
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knows a way to boost the infrared signal on the remote? So far this is the only thing that really bugs me about this heli. Even the jerky side movement, for me just gives it character. I mainly bought this to fly at work on break and there is A LOT of open space to fly. At full speed this thing gets out of range fast!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Could someone post side by side comparison pictures of the S800G and S107G heads. I'd like to understand the differences.
Sorry this took forever.

107 is always on the left and top, 800 on the right and bottom.
Risshuu is offline Find More Posts by Risshuu
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,616 Posts
They are so close to each other. I now wish I have an S800G in front of me to play with. Now, w/o measuring these guys, I'm just eye-balling from these pictures.

The first difference is the shaft length. But since we are not trying to replace the shaft, but just the head, it's not a show stopper. Looks to me that the shaft size is close to being the same.

The 2nd noticeable difference is the angle of the locking screws. The ones on the S107 align with the pivot pins. The ones on the S800 align with the flybar holes. That's not an issue. As long as the FB is the same 45 with the blades (not 90 out of phase), it is golden. How it locks to the shaft is immaterial.

The 3rd difference is the deal breaker I think. The bottom of the S800 head is a bigger opening than the S107. The S107 has a sleeve between the upper and lower blades. I think the S800 has the same, but it is wider. That sleeve will not fit inside the S107 head. BUT, the sleeve is not a mission critical piece. If you lose it, I wonder we could make a S107 head work on the S800.

The attached picture shows the main shaft of an S107, with the head off. The sleeve is just a hollow tube that slips over the shaft. If we lose this tube, will the S107 head work on the S800 then? Any one wants to give that a try and let us know if that's possible?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:01 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2013
29 Posts
Thanks for all that work Risshuu and Heli Pad.
I just flew my white s800 (the grounded one is the black, which i loved. took the tail pieces off and added from a parts Mota 6036. Looked sweet and flew true.) anyway, i put the canopy from the black on the white, and flew her around a bit. Put the swash back to the 2nd hole, just so I didn't crash inside. I have also grounded my SP100d and a V911 along with my black 800. Sad times. Rent comes before toy repairs!
MusicPilot is offline Find More Posts by MusicPilot
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:57 AM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Feb 2013
3,961 Posts
I sent email to Syma service dept. a couple of weeks ago: Is the 4-channel S800G available with Mode 2 remote control?

I got the following reply from Syma (does this answer sound right to you?):

Dear Customer,

All of our items are Mode 2, throttle on the left. Let us know if you have any question.

Regards,
Service Dept
EArHog is online now Find More Posts by EArHog
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:25 PM
Oxford, Indiana
Joined Sep 2002
30 Posts
I believe the Syma's are all Mode 4, as opposed to Mode 2. Here's an explanation of them:

transmitter modes

You can probably modify your transmitter, to make it fly Mode 2, if you have the 800, or any of them that actually has a transmitter that can move both directions, on the left. If you have the 107, which has just one direction on the left - up and back - you can't. However, the 800G flies great, and the transmitter is easily modified to Mode 2. Plus, it will fly the 107G just fine. That would be my recommendation - buy an 800G, mod the transmitter, and when you are a little bored with the 107G, switch to the 4-channel flying of the 800G

I now have 4 107G's, 1 800G, 2 Blade mSR X's, and a Nano CPX. Won't be long, I'll have a Blade 130X, if everything goes well...and it started with the 107G.

R
rcav8or is offline Find More Posts by rcav8or
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:35 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...Control/#intro
Found this trying to figure out a way to boost the infared signal on the remote. seems like it will work well for our helis.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:19 PM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Feb 2013
3,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8or View Post
I believe the Syma's are all Mode 4, as opposed to Mode 2.
I didn't suggest the S800G's controller was mode 2 - Syma did (at least based on my interpretation of their respones to my question.)
EArHog is online now Find More Posts by EArHog
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:31 PM
Oxford, Indiana
Joined Sep 2002
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EArHog View Post
I didn't suggest the S800G's controller was mode 2 - Syma did (at least based on my interpretation of their respones to my question.)
no one said you did. If you are trying to tie Syma in a knot, sorry for posting. I was merely trying to explain, what I THOUGHT you were trying to ask

Syma seems not to care that we want mode 2. And since they are primarily a "toy" manufacturer, at $20 a helicopter, I don't think they would cater to our whims. Again, its very simple to make your 800G transmitter, mode

R
rcav8or is offline Find More Posts by rcav8or
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Jan 2013
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
They are so close to each other. I now wish I have an S800G in front of me to play with. Now, w/o measuring these guys, I'm just eye-balling from these pictures.

The first difference is the shaft length. But since we are not trying to replace the shaft, but just the head, it's not a show stopper. Looks to me that the shaft size is close to being the same.

The 2nd noticeable difference is the angle of the locking screws. The ones on the S107 align with the pivot pins. The ones on the S800 align with the flybar holes. That's not an issue. As long as the FB is the same 45 with the blades (not 90 out of phase), it is golden. How it locks to the shaft is immaterial.

The 3rd difference is the deal breaker I think. The bottom of the S800 head is a bigger opening than the S107. The S107 has a sleeve between the upper and lower blades. I think the S800 has the same, but it is wider. That sleeve will not fit inside the S107 head. BUT, the sleeve is not a mission critical piece. If you lose it, I wonder we could make a S107 head work on the S800.

The attached picture shows the main shaft of an S107, with the head off. The sleeve is just a hollow tube that slips over the shaft. If we lose this tube, will the S107 head work on the S800 then? Any one wants to give that a try and let us know if that's possible?
I have 3x S-107 main shafts on their way to fix my broken S800-G, so I guess that means I'll be volunteering to see if I can make it work. If not, so biggie. S-107 parts are cheap. The bigger deal will be the added wait to get actual S800 parts if I can't make it work, so I'm motivated. Also, one other difference between the parts that wasn't mentioned is the distance between the locking screws and the pivot pins. Assuming the distance from the flybar hole to the pvot pins is the same I think it will be okay.

I think I'll get an S800 main shaft on order just in case. This is the second one I've broken. Gluing didn't work at all. The first time I broke both pivot pins and the toilet bowl effect had the heli flying in 6-12 inch circles. The second time only one pivot pin broke and the circles were much larger, about 3-5 feet. Both times were caused by flying too high indoors and the flybar striking a light fixture.
misterpepper is offline Find More Posts by misterpepper