SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:10 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,763 Posts
Okay, 20C, 3.7v, 200mAh, is all good, just slightly bigger and heavier than the original. HobbyTown, no wait. It's all good.

BUT, there is still the issue of Overcharge protection. Please make sure that the replacement battery has one. If not, it is quite tricky to transplant one. If it does have protection, go for it. If it doesn't, stop where you are, and send the battery back to HTUSA.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:19 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,906 Posts
Yup. I 2nd Heli Pad's concern. The overcharge protection is an absolute MUST because the USB charger that comes with the 800G does NOT have overcharge protection. Without the overcharge protection circuit, the charger will happily overcharge your battery until it explodes, catches fire, etc...

Bad bad bad bad.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, MS, Jackson
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
yep will do, i will ask them when i get it if it has the overcharge protection. im thinking it does, but i will make sure. are there any tale tale signs to look for in determining if one lipo has the protection or not?
Tewhitte is offline Find More Posts by Tewhitte
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewhitte View Post
yep will do, i will ask them when i get it if it has the overcharge protection. im thinking it does, but i will make sure. are there any tale tale signs to look for in determining if one lipo has the protection or not?
Look at the battery as seen in your pictures. See the yellow tape at the top where the wires come out? There's a tiny little circuit board in there that does all that for you. That's why it's usually recommended that you just buy a replacement battery (e.g. from Amazon) which is specifically stated to be for these little Syma helis.

...or...

If you were feeling particularly adventuresome...you could solder on an e-flite style plug to your helicopter instead and then find an appropriate removable battery with an e-flite style plug. Get yourself a few of those and a nice multi-port charger and you can then throw away the USB charger completely and swap batteries out between flights (make sure to let the heli rest 5-10 minutes between flights otherwise you might burn out your motors!!!)

My advice to you, however, is to wait on the above mod for now until you've had a chance to be more familiar with the heli and how it flies. You really want to make sure you're confident and comfortable with these things before doing crazy mods because if you end up making a mistake you don't know how it's "SUPPOSED" to operate, right? ANyway, file the above idea away for later. Maybe for when you wear your new battery out and have to replace it. The 800 seems like an idea candidate for this mod because the canopy comes off without screws.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,763 Posts
You're in luck. I just removed one the other day, and here's a picture of it. As you can see, it is quite small and simple. As Robo indicated, it is soldered near the battery terminal under the yellow tape. You could unwrap yours to take a look.

Now that you know what it looks like, insist on examining by seeing/touch/feeling it on the battery before you buy.

The purpose of the OCP circuit is rather simple. As the voltage of the battery under charge rises to a preset voltage level (4.2v), it simply breaks the circuit and stop the charging process. Otherwise, unless the charging source knows how to stop, it will keep charging and charging and charging until the battery catches fire and explode! That's why we could emphasize the importance enough.

I strip these from bad batteries, so that I could just solder them inline with the Rx board, between it and the battery plug. Then I could plug all kinds of hobby grade batteries to it, and I wouldn't have to worry about what charger I use.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
ok i went by hobbytown and of course they didnt have the battery. they said they didnt even know what i was talking about. can you shoot me a link to a US shipping site for a new battery i guess one that is

20C, 3.7v, 200mAh with overcharge protection im having a hard time finding one from a us seller.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,906 Posts
No clue about a US shipper.

Here's one for just over $10 (free shipping) from a good Chinese RC seller that I've used before quite a bit:

http://www.rc-fever.com/syma-s800g-2...800g%20battery

At least you have an option as a backup while you search for a US source...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,906 Posts
Post your question over in the S107G thread. There's a lot more folks subscribed to that and lots of them have more than just the S107G...(if anyone complains tell 'em to blame me. )
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:14 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,763 Posts
I already gave you a link to a 240mAh ($5). If that's too big, and you want to stick with stock. Here's one for $4.20.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Origin...ref=pd_sim_t_4
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
ah sorry about that i didnt see the link
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Apr 2009
62 Posts
Hi all
I bought a S800G and I did the mode 2 conversion (cut and jump 2 points)
It worked beautifully Today I noticed the heli would lift and bank right
It did it over and over and even fen I move the stick to full left it would pop up and bank right.
I took the canopy off and while holding it I applied power. As soon as I did I noticed the server would push all the way down. If I moved the stick to the left it would move up a little but then go back all teh way down. As I release power the server comes back to center

Any idea what is wrong and how to fix this ?
Capatosta is offline Find More Posts by Capatosta
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capatosta View Post
Hi all
I bought a S800G and I did the mode 2 conversion (cut and jump 2 points)
It worked beautifully Today I noticed the heli would lift and bank right
It did it over and over and even fen I move the stick to full left it would pop up and bank right.
I took the canopy off and while holding it I applied power. As soon as I did I noticed the server would push all the way down. If I moved the stick to the left it would move up a little but then go back all teh way down. As I release power the server comes back to center

Any idea what is wrong and how to fix this ?
I'd open your transmitter and look carefully to see whether the wires that you installed might be shorting against pins that they're not supposed to be shorting against. Maybe open it up and take a close-up picture of your work and post it here? We might be able to find a problem.

Do you have a S107G as well? You can fly the 800G with that transmitter and then you could see whether the 800G is the problem or your 800G transmitter is the problem...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Apr 2009
62 Posts
Don't have a 107

I did the mod weeks ago. Not sure why it would fail now but ... I'll take it to work and have my tech guy look at under the Mantis Scope to look for shorts I'll try to grab some pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
I'd open your transmitter and look carefully to see whether the wires that you installed might be shorting against pins that they're not supposed to be shorting against. Maybe open it up and take a close-up picture of your work and post it here? We might be able to find a problem.

Do you have a S107G as well? You can fly the 800G with that transmitter and then you could see whether the 800G is the problem or your 800G transmitter is the problem...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,763 Posts
Holy Molly. I have no idea what a Mantis Scope is and I have look it up. You have access to such fancy equipment? My goodness! I hope you find the source of the problem quickly.

I like Robo's suggestion, because it is not clear to me at this point whether the fault is at the Tx or the Rx side. Unfortunately, you don't have another Tx to test that. It will quickly help you divide and conquer your problem and you will know to concentrate on the Tx or the Rx.

Anyway, good luck and merry Christmas.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2009
62 Posts
Mantis makes lots of scopes - the one I had in mind is more of a big magnifier. We do have a couple of the fancier ones if I really need to get up close. The company makes communications equipment I'm in IT and am not as electronically inclined so I rely on the techs.

Sure wish I had a 107 right about now cuz yes it would help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Holy Molly. I have no idea what a Mantis Scope is and I have look it up. You have access to such fancy equipment? My goodness! I hope you find the source of the problem quickly.

I like Robo's suggestion, because it is not clear to me at this point whether the fault is at the Tx or the Rx side. Unfortunately, you don't have another Tx to test that. It will quickly help you divide and conquer your problem and you will know to concentrate on the Tx or the Rx.

Anyway, good luck and merry Christmas.