SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:50 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
In terms of the flight characteristics, which one would you prefer? The S800G, or the JXD340? Especially, rank them of the precision and easy flying aspects.
Hi Heli Pad.

Now that I've done the mode 2 conversion, I finally had a chance to really fly this little thing around to test it.

My first inclination is that the 800 is very difficult to fly smoothly because the servo travel is NOT at all linear wrt the stick throw like the MCX (as an example). There's a VERY narrow angle at which the stick will be moved and then the servo appears to move its full travel. This makes it very difficult to fly with any sort of precision. Essentially, it feels very much like bang-bang control but for both aileron and elevator. I understand why people do the stick length mod on this. I've got to go get longer TX sticks for this heli. I really like the idea of getting a couple of plastic golf tees and using those. I'll have to see what I can find. I think that if I have that then I'll maybe have better control over it.

Because of the jerkiness of the servo, I found that I could actually get this thing to roll (or pitch--couldn't tell which) over so far that the flybar couldn't self-right it. It kind of felt like the wobble of death in the MCX2 but then the heli pitched over and crashed into a wall. It wasn't like I was trying to do that but I could see how someone new to the hobby might get frustrated quickly with this one.

So, in terms of the comparison of the JXD 340 Drift King and the Syma 800G, I'd say that the JXD wins hands down in terms of smoothness and ease of flight. The JXD can be flown exactly like a S107G if you want (big win for beginners) to use the TX in mode 4. The aileron control is bang-bang but it's still easier to fly the 340 than the essentially fully bang-bang control of the 800G's aileron AND elevator.

To be fair, I think with longer sticks and maybe even some different pots on those sticks, the 800G could be flown better, but now we're talking about having to get into some pretty serious TX surgery and you don't have to do that with the JDX 340 at all.

All that being said, the 800G has plenty of power, is very responsive, and is very stable when you take off and hover. It's going to be something of an interesting challenge to mod the TX and learn how to fly it smoothly.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, MS, Jackson
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Could you try feeling the motor temperature after that happens? If you have a motor that's painfully hot then that would be a component you'd need to replace.

I'm just shooting in the dark though...
ok i tried it again and the same thing happened. i felt the motor and it was nice and cool. i dont believe this is a heli issue it seems to be maybe losing the ir signal or something it is hard to tell. i took a video of what the heli does with full throttle. it runs and slowly gets slower and slower until it just abruptly cuts off and starts blinking red from where the gears are. i cant get it to work unless i switch it off and on again. really disappointed here, anyone have any ideas at all. i know this question was asked a couple times in this thread but no one could provide an answer, or even suggest one.

syma s800g problem 2 (0 min 24 sec)
Tewhitte is offline Find More Posts by Tewhitte
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,822 Posts
Well, the other thing to consider is that it might just be that your battery in the heli is dying. If you remove the canopy and look at it, does it look like it's swelled up at all? It's kind of hard to tell sometimes with these small batteries, but if you google "puffed lipo" you might be able to find some images of S107G lipo batteries that are swelled up.

The blinking red light might be the cut-off behavior if the battery gets too low, but once again I'm only guessing here. The only way to check this would be to buy a new battery and replace your old one with the new one and see.

I can't imagine that it's somehow your transmitter that's at fault here....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
well these are pics of the lipo, i cant really tell if it looks really puffy

Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewhitte View Post
i recently got the s800g and am having a problem with it. it flies for like 10 seconds and then loses power mid air and crashes straight down. at this point it flashes red and wont do anything until i switch it off and back on then it flies again and does the same thing. every battery is full and good. it seems to gradually lose power and even with the throttle all the way up it just slowly runs out and drops.

here is a video i took of the flight, in the video i have the throttle ramped to full at the end. i have tried this in multiple rooms and the same thing happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe5876xN9ws&feature=youtu.be

any ideas would be really helpful
Disclaimer: I don't own an S800G, but several other SYMAs.

If the S800G is similar to the other SYMAs, I'd say that you have a failed battery. The battery could not hold voltage and it dropped below the LVC, Low Voltage Cut-off. That's what the slow flashing red LED means in the other models. The LVC circuitry is designed to lock out the motor functions, so that your battery would not dive below 3.4v.

You should first examine the battery to see if it has puffed up. If you have a voltmeter, trace the battery leads and check the voltage. I suspect that it will be low, around 3.4v.

IF you could check voltage, conduct the following test. Remove the canopy, make sure the battery is not already puffed. Then recharge it. When it's full, voltage should read 4.2v. Fly it until red LED flashes. Check the voltage then. If it drops quickly from 4.2 to 3.4, a replacement battery is in order.

How recent was your purchase? Is return/exchange an option for you?

Turning off the wireless router would not have any effect on this helicopter because it doesn't use 2.4GHz frequency. It uses Infra-red. If you're concerned about interference, you should fly away from strong light sources.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
Ah, I missed this last page of posting. You second description pretty much confirmed a bad battery. I'm 90% sure that the flash LED means LVC. Robo's suggestion was very similar to mine. Given that I don't have a S800G and so don't know what the stock battery should lot like, it's hard to tell from a photo whether it is puffed or not. Please give it a little squeeze to see if it feels like there is an air pocket. It does look puffed to me.

If your purchase is recent enough for an exchange, take advantage of it, and save yourself the trouble of replacing the battery. Otherwise, plan on replacing it. The flash is too strong, I couldn't read the writing. What is the capacity (mAh) on the battery?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
ah sorry about that, crappy cell phone pic, it reads 3.7Vw150mAh. yea i dont have a voltmeter but the battery does seem to be a little puffy i guess. i just received it yesterday from a guy on ebay. im going to try and get my money back for it. it was only 11 dollars shipped, but the guy claimed "perfect flying condition". i guess if i get screwed then i will try the battery switch out since it was only 11 dollars. sucks because a new lipo will be almost more than the heli was lol. thanks for the help guys.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
Robo, Thanks for the comprehensive review, and I think I agree with your evaluations. For a 4ch coaxial, precision control would be key and for that reason alone, the S800 doesn't win my vote. Even after the Mode 2/4 conversion, the Tx is still a mismatch for this helicopter. This makes the Drift King shine even more.

It appears that the Drift King could be flown like a S107G, and then easily switched from Mode 4 to 2 and start transitioning to the next level. Sounds like a really good migration path.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
Ah, eBay (Not good). If the seller claimed "perfect flying condition", and you received a helicopter that couldn't fly, and with an evidently puffed battery, the seller has not been honest. You definitely has grounds to dispute. But what kind of a resolution you would get from an $11 deal is unclear.

So, let's say that in the worse case scenario that you're stuck with this, I would definitely recommend replacing the battery to get this thing flying. The battery would cost a few bucks, not the end of the world. Let us know what resolution you could get. We could coach you through the battery replacement, based on how handy you are.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
yea man thanks, i will keep you informed and thanks for all the info and assistance.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,822 Posts
Hey, if you can squeeze the battery and it feels like there's an air pocket, it's puffed and is at the end of its life. I've swapped out at least 3 (maybe 4?) lipos from these little Syma helis and if you're comfortable with soldering all you need to do is

- cut the black and red wires from the battery (maybe around 1/2 way down the cable)
- tape off the ends of the bad battery so they don't short and then dispose of it properly
- strip the ends of the cable left on the heli by a few mm
- get some heatshrink tubing of the right diameter from Radio shack and slide a length that's about twice the length of the stripped end down the wire BEFORE soldering it.
- solder the battery wires to the helicopter wires--matching black to black and red to red of course
- cover the soldered splices with the heatshrink and use a heat source to shrink it down (I've used a lighter in the past but now use a hot air gun)
- replace canopy, charge and fly!!!

As long as this doesn't scare you off too much, you should be able to get a working heli for the cost of the battery on top of the $11 you spent from that less-than-honest ebay seller.

Good luck with the ebay claim. I'd take that guy to task as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
thanks robo, yea i am going to tackle the battery swap. should be fun. i contacted the guy on ebay and he was surprisingly stand up about the ordeal. he said it flew 7 min flights up until he shipped it and doesnt know what happened. he refunded me my full purchase price plus shipping and said to just hang on to the heli. im glad to know there are some stand up sellers still floating around on ebay. the battery doesnt seem puffy or full of air but im going to do the battery switch anyway. this was i can learn to swap them out and now its on a free test subject.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,822 Posts
Brilliant!!! Best possible scenario given the circumstances. Congrats.

(Sounds like he flew the battery too long and perhaps left it at too low a voltage after he was done to be honest...) As a rule of thumb, I only fly my helis for 4 min at a time. I've got lots of them though so it's trivial to grab a new one and toss it up in the air for hours of continuous fun...lol

Do you have a soldering iron and a hot air gun? I'd actually recommend looking into investing into some tools like this. Doing your own "wrenching" on these helis can be challenging, interesting, and quite rewarding. IMHO, it's a really cool part of the hobby.

Best of luck and let us know if you run into difficulties!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
Full refund and keep the heli?!? I didn't see that one coming. You should share with us who this eBay seller was, so that I'd buy from him in the future.

So, it is clear that you have a free test subject (when you see your refund), that you should find a battery for this bad boy. Is it a 150mAh? If so, that's what you should stick with, IMHO. So people would take this as an advantage to throw in a bigger battery. After playing that game myself, my final recommendation is to stick with the original capacity.

It appears to me that the original stock battery has Overcharge Protection on it. So, you should be careful to get the same. Otherwise, if you get one w/o protection, you would create a very dangerous situation for yourself.

Are you Stateside? Are you more comfortable buying from a US seller (costs a little more), to are you willing to wait for an oversea shipment and save a little? What you should be looking for is a "1S 3.7v 150mAh Lipo with overcharge protection" with relatively the same size and shape.

Here is a buying example from Amazon. It's for a 240mAh (which might work). If you look at it, you would find basic step-by-step pictured tutorial of how to replace. (Please don't cut both wires with a pair of scissors!!) Have a look.

http://www.amazon.com/Syma-S107G-upg...ref=pd_sim_t_7
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
yea it is a small guy who was selling odds and ends from his house. he said it wasnt worth the trouble to ship it back and forth. i wonder if he knew it was screwed initially and figured i wouldnt say anything about it. doesnt matter he said here is your refund and sorry about the item. he said he doesnt ship defected items and this must have been a fluke. the money is back in my paypal account and ready to go.

the one that came with the heli was a 3.7v 150mAh

i am located in Mississippi and i was able to locate a 20c 3.7v 200mAh heli replacement battery at the local HobbyTown USA. it is the same size as what people were using in this thread for battery upgrades / replacements.