HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
Ive had my 800g for a couple days now, did the mode 2 mod this morning, works great, much much better! THANK YOU talktodan

looking for more mods now, i noticed there was an extra hole on the servo control horns that would give the pitch more throw.. has anyone done this?
adbradley is offline Find More Posts by adbradley
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
Update:

I lengthened the sticks by an inch and that made a huge difference, I also relocated the control linkages for the swash plate to the further out hole, this gave me much faster movement fore, Aft, and side to side, bit it is still very controllable. It's well worth a try!
adbradley is offline Find More Posts by adbradley
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:21 AM
Joined Aug 2012
48 Posts
?

Hello guys is this a good heli to buy? also is it true that you have to calibrate the controller?
canadabear07 is offline Find More Posts by canadabear07
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:51 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,638 Posts
I just picked one of these up on a whim since they were so cheap over at Amazon recently.

I HAVE to do the mode 2 mod on this transmitter. Wow. I so cannot fly 4ch mode 4! LOL I also see why you guys want to lengthen the sticks. It's controllable but you have a fine touch on it. That's okay though. Will report back when I have a mode 2 TX working.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Jun 2012
13 Posts
I've just been flying my 107c and 800g today. Rekindled a bit of lost love with flying these things. I stopped when my v911 tail motor stopped working when it crashed in flight, I think it might just be a re-soldering job but not sure.
djhazardous is offline Find More Posts by djhazardous
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,638 Posts
Where's a good location to buy replacement sticks for the transmitter? Any recommendations?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:09 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,164 Posts
Robo, can you confirm something for me? I have asked this question before, but I got conflicting answers and I didn't know what to make of it.

My question is that is the S800G Tx compatible with the other Syma models?

In other words, could it control a S026, or could it be controlled by the S026 Tx (sans the 4th channel)? How about the S107?

Not sure how to answer your question. But I think I've seen others glued on an extension to the S800G sticks.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,638 Posts
I'll be happy to test this out for you! I'll do it tonight when I get home and report back.

I saw someone earlier in this thread with a picture of some sort of different TX sticks (Walkera???) attached to their TX. Since the 800 TX sticks just pop off really easily it seems that it would be really straight forward to put a different set of sticks on it--assuming the mounting socket matched up properly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
My question is that is the S800G Tx compatible with the other Syma models?

In other words, could it control a S026, or could it be controlled by the S026 Tx (sans the 4th channel)? How about the S107?
Test complete!

The S800G appears to respond to the S107G protocol but not the S110G (S026G) protocol.

- I could fly a S107G with the S800G controller. There two available channels to select from on the S800G TX and both worked to control two different S107Gs (one at a time of course!).

- I could fly a S800G with the S107G controller.

Everything behaved as it should. The mode 4 controllers performed as expected on both helis. I just didn't have aileron control when using the S107G TX on the S800G and the aileron control didn't affect the S107G when using the S800G TX.

The S800G TX did nothing when I tried it on the S110G.

Now I'm even more excited to convert my S800G TX to mode 2. I'd love to fly my S107Gs with a mode 2 TX.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,164 Posts
Thanks, Robo. That was the most complete testing and report that I've read so far regarding this matter. I'm completely satisfied with the results.

Yes, there is all the more reasons to convert the S800G Tx to mode 2, so that you could fly both the S800G and S107G in mode 2.

Wouldn't it be nice, if there was a 4ch Tx in the form factor of the S107G Tx? I'd be so stoked to convert that into mode 2 and fly everything that it could control. I think the S107G Tx feels more comfortable in hand than the S800G Tx.

Thanks, again.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,638 Posts
Sure thing! Glad to help.

I really like the Drift King (JXD 340)'s transmitter. It's large like the S107G and can switch from mode 4 to mode 2 if you hold down the two top buttons while powering it on. It only works on the 340 though. I tried it on my 339 but it didn't work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,164 Posts
In terms of the flight characteristics, which one would you prefer? The S800G, or the JXD340? Especially, rank them of the precision and easy flying aspects.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
In terms of the flight characteristics, which one would you prefer? The S800G, or the JXD340? Especially, rank them of the precision and easy flying aspects.
Hi Heli Pad, I'm not sure I'm in a position to answer that question yet. These little guys only arrived on Monday and I've not had too much of a chance to fly them yet. I've been diagnosing short flight times on my TRex 100X and now have a Nano with bad vibrations/shakes that I'm dealing with. LOL

I'm not going to be able to give you an objective answer until I can do the mode 2 mod on my S800G TX. However, I will give you my thoughts on the JXD 340 since I did get a chance to fly that around in mode 2 some last night.

First of all, if you fly it in mode 4 and don't touch the aileron, you can consider the JXD 340 to be a speedier and more aggressive version of the S107G. There's no spring on the throttle stick. There is a button you can press to put the tail motor into "high rate" which gives you much faster FF. There's a button that you can press to toggle the blinky LED array that this thing sports as well. I never touch the aileron in mode 4 because that totally messes me up.

Now, in mode 2, it flies well enough as a 4ch except that the aileron is essentially "bang-bang" at least it feels that way. It's either centered or it's all the way to one side or the other. When you do shift it to one side or another, it puts a bit of a shudder through the heli and you need to be able to compensate a little with the throttle to keep it at the same height. Other than that, you can fly this thing passably well as if you were flying a MCX but it just doesn't feel as agile because the elev and aile control doesn't have much variation. Still, you can fly sideways, do some nose-in and tail-in funnels, and in general do what you would normally do with a heli that actually had a functional swashplate. It's not bad. Then you can always "downshift" and fly it in mode 4 like a S107G if you like.

Be careful of the power plug. It's got the same connector as the S107G. I have no idea whether the polarity is correct though. The power plug LED is also backwards from the S107G. It lights up when its charging and turns off when it's not.

After I get my S800G TX converted, I'll let you know about that heli. I will say that in my initial testing, I found that it doesn't fly straight. It tends to fly diagonally--much more so than the MCX/2.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,164 Posts
Thank you, Robo. That's fair. I know you have these new toys to play with, and there is only so much play time in a day. Take your time on my questions. I'm not in any hurry.

Appreciate your early assessment on the JXD340. It is valuable info to me and to the others who might be reading this. Thanks for your work.

HP
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Apr 2009
62 Posts
I can't see where the other end of the wire goes in the 2nd picture - can u elaborate I just got one of these and eft stick Throttle and Nose/Tail control and right stick fwd/back & side to side - Yes I'm a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by talktodan View Post
I'm also an ME, or at least hope to be after this May

It was hard to get good pictures in low light (camera phone), but I think you should still be able to see the modifications. I cut two traces as seen as red lines and soldered the two wires where the blue circles are. I had to scratch off the green masking on one spot to apply solder onto the trace.

-Dan

Capatosta is offline Find More Posts by Capatosta
Last edited by Capatosta; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:14 AM.