HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:37 PM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Did you do the mod with the batteries in?
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Apr 2005
394 Posts
New S800G?

Just noticed this one on eBay, but apparently they have been available for a few months:
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:27 PM
Heliski: Steep 'n deep
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Jul 2011
74 Posts
My S800G arrived yesterday from Hong Kong. The box looked a bit battered and I feared the worst but everything survived intact and I managed one battery cycle last evening and again tonight. I like it!

It is definitely quicker than my S107Gs and a bit quirkier in flight. The sideways flight to the left is noticeably quicker and tends to drop compared to moving sideways to the right and it has a tendency to forwards movement rather than stable hover. I guess with a bit of trimming and getting the COG spot on it might be possible to improve on what is already a nippy and fun heli to fly. It cost £25 incl postage delivered and for about £3 (around $5 ?) more than an S107G I think it is worth it.

I let the batteries cool a while before re-charging through the USB from my PC and right now the red light has just started flickering (40-45 mins), so it's time to fly!
Snow Lynx is offline Find More Posts by Snow Lynx
Last edited by Snow Lynx; Jul 16, 2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Jul 2011
74 Posts
Well that's another 5 or 6 flights and I am starting to get used to the flight characteristics. The sideways to the left is the tough one as it either seems to drop rapidly or the heli accelerates upwards as soon as the sideways movement is stopped. Thinking about lengthening the controls to see if that helps? Other than that it is like the S107G but definitely faster. Fortunately it also seems to be pretty robust like its stablemate!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:00 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Lynx View Post
Thinking about lengthening the controls to see if that helps? Other than that it is like the S107G but definitely faster. Fortunately it also seems to be pretty robust like its stablemate!
Cool, glad you're having fun with the 800.
Longer control sticks will help quite a bit, but the potentiometers are still junk so the 'take off' point for left and right will still be abrupt and somewhat unpredictable.
If you missed it a few pages back, I did a few mods to my S800's transmitter
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Jul 2011
74 Posts
Kurt, thanks for reminding me about the transmitter mods. If I can find some time I will definitely lengthen the controls. I'm having fun flying this heli, starting to get to grips with how it behaves and not crashing it quite as often.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:24 AM
Registered Addict
BodÝ, Norway
Joined Mar 2007
874 Posts
Looks like a fun heli Bought one from eBay. Also bought a 240mah lipo cell, anyone have experience with a larger lipo on these helies?
Stigern is offline Find More Posts by Stigern
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
S800G Mode 2 Transmitter Mod

Thanks Talktodan for this conversion to a Mode 2 Tx, I will definately explore this option; there's no way I would want to use the Tx with the stock set up of rudder on the right stick instead of the left stick.
bongomonkey is offline Find More Posts by bongomonkey
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3 Posts
I hate to be Johnny Come Lately to the party here, and I realize this is my first post EVER here...

But I am having an issue with my S800G I JUST picked up this week. Mechanically, from what I can tell the bird is fine.

When I attempt to fly the heli now, as soon as I get no more than 20-25% input on the throttle stick, the heli shuts down, and the red light visible through the drive gears flashes red, and will not quit until I replace the throttle stick down to 0. I can't for the life of me figure out what the deal is.

And yes, batteries in both the Tx and the bird are fully charged.

Anybody that can help, I would be greatly appreciative.
KMiracle1984 is offline Find More Posts by KMiracle1984
Last edited by KMiracle1984; Aug 07, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Jul 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiracle1984 View Post
I hate to be Johnny Come Lately to the party here, and I realize this is my first post EVER here...

But I am having an issue with my S800G I JUST picked up this week. Mechanically, from what I can tell the bird is fine.

When I attempt to fly the heli now, as soon as I get no more than 20-25% input on the throttle stick, the heli shuts down, and the red light visible through the drive gears flashes red, and will not quit until I replace the throttle stick down to 0. I can't for the life of me figure out what the deal is.

And yes, batteries in both the Tx and the bird are fully charged.

Anybody that can help, I would be greatly appreciative.
KMiracle 1984 I have a similar intermittent issue when flying either the S800G or either of my S107Gs using the little S800G Tx. I can fly all 3 helis just fine with my S107G Tx without any problem, so that makes me think it is something to do with the S800G Tx. This seems to be in the first minute or so of flying and then no problem after that. I can throttle up and take off but as soon as I use some forward stick the heli(s) will switch off and drop to the floor. The little light on the Tx flashes when this happens and I have to close the throttle for it to clear and reset. It doesn't do it all the time and it didn't do it for the first few flights... and yes I'm pretty certain that the batteries are okay. Anyone else had similar?

I bust the tail fin on my S800G through this but it doesn't seem to affect affect the flying ability at all. I gently filed the sharp edges down with a nail file so it now has a stubby little tailfin. There'll be a few grams of extra postage available with the next heli to pop in a replacement tailfin

PS. Welcome to the forums. There are some really great guys on here who know way more about helis than I ever will. You will pick up loads of useful tips too.
Last edited by Snow Lynx; Aug 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Add greeting
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
Received my S800G from banggood today and I must say I'm rather disappointed with the "out of the box" experience, even compared to the S107G as it's not a lot faster, the "sideways" isn't very efficient and I won't even mention the V911. Will try the mods here (position adjustment under canopy) and maybe MOD4 to MOD2.
webvan is offline Find More Posts by webvan
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:12 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,873 Posts
Has anyone had any success "calibrating" the controller?
A comment was made on my Amazon review that the manual tells you how to do this in "item 2".
I immediately tossed the manual
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Jul 2012
25 Posts
Hey all
I have the syma s800g. Keep in mind iv only been flying for a few months, anyway it flys great indoors even with the ceiling fan on low its quick, manuverable and durable it also keeps my lazy cat buzy
Russ
rpmdj1 is offline Find More Posts by rpmdj1
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Hi all.

This is my first post here, or on any RC forum for that matter. I've been wanting one of the little helis for quite some time, but have forgotten about them until recently. A couple of my friends have S107 knock offs of some sort, and after a little playing with them and a bit of research, I knew I had to have the S800.

The little heli got here yesterday, but to my dismay I could not get the darn thing to fly! The light on the USB charging cable doesn't seem to function (except when initially plugged in it ever so slightly flickers. I noticed this after charging for a while, but checked and the battery voltage was 4.2v (so the LVC should not be stepping in and turning off the propellers), so maybe the cord LED is just fried.

After what I assume was a full charge the thing still wouldn't budge. The lights come on on the heli, and the controller appears to be synced (turn on at max throttle with flashing power LED, then bring it to min throttle and the LED goes solid). I've tried every combination of heli and controller power and on a, b, and c channels and nothing. The red charging LED also does not work (tried on my heli and roommates).

I'm assuming the little guy was DOA, and I'm wondering if I should look at a different model or give the S800 another shot. Naturally I took a peak inside and the board appeared to be a third revision (S800R3).

Does anyone know what the different revisions ermm...revised?

Thanks in advance,
-Alex
nnamssorxela is offline Find More Posts by nnamssorxela
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:33 PM
I'd rather b flying or fishin
Vancouver, WA
Joined Dec 2008
29 Posts
Another thanks to talktodan for the pics on the MODE 2 TX mod. Much better control now.
Rodger68 is offline Find More Posts by Rodger68