HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2012, 12:22 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,363 Posts
The price keeps dropping and it is so tempting. Quick question for the owners. If I forget the aileron control on the left stick. Does its flight characteristics compare to that of the S107? Or does the swash controlled elevator changes the characteristics too much for the two to even compare? I imagine that I could handle the differences. I just want to see if this would be a good one to recommend to a newbie, instead of the S107?
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 01:51 AM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
In my opinion this is a much fussier and fidgity helicopter, similar to other small IR 4CH helis. You can easily hold an S107 to straight and level flight, but the S800 requires more busy-throttle work to maintain an altitude... or even to make precise turns for that matter.

It also flies "light" in the sense that it seems more disturbed by the barest of drafts in the room. An S107 rides like a Cadillac (you know, those cars with sand in the doors and other added weight to give a "solid" feel and firm ride by resting heavily on their suspensions).
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old May 26, 2012, 10:16 AM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
I agree with SubtleT. If you can fly the S107 with ease I say go for it Heli Pad.
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Last edited by Bvc; May 26, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:00 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
I treat my S800 mainly as a 3-channel heli with the ability to go sideways when required(once you get used to that erratic sideways stick!). Actually, with practice, you can make it perform very well indeed, with great nose-in and tail-in circuits.

As has been said, it certainly needs more throttle adjusting as you fly/turn but this is a good thing as it improves your co-ordination - I love my S107s but wouldn't want every heli to be quite as easy to fly - no fun in that This heli will 'up' your learning curve as it's a bit more spirited than the more sedate S107, but not terribly so.

The S800 is definitely worth buying for it's 8 minute flight time alone!

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old May 28, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25 View Post
The S800 is definitely worth buying for it's 8 minute flight time alone!
Whaaaa?

The S800 uses the same 150mAh lipo as the S107 and they put pretty much the same load on it. If your S107s can't fly "8 minutes" anymore it is probably because you've damaged them.

I see no reason why the advice to avoid flying past 5 minutes doesn't apply to an S800 as much as an S107. S800s weigh about 4 grams more than S107s, which if anything suggests a shorter flight time may be more appropriate, but that's probably extreme.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:50 AM
Bvc
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
My 107's fly longer. I'm new at 4ch's but I figured the swashplate and steering engine needed more juice. Also, doesn't it depend on how you fly it? I am constantly putting a heavy load on the battery -drifting, turning, forward/reverse at the same time. Correct me if I am wrong, but I would imaging if I mostly treated it like a 3ch it would last longer.
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Old May 28, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Probably not. The motors driving the rotors eat most of the power.

You might make a case that a 4CH uses a little less since it doesn't have the tailprop to spin, which probably eats more power than swash actuators. Probably not that much less though unless you foolishly put on extra-large or deeply-pitched tailprops - which tend to burn out tail motors anyway.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:00 AM
Hobart,Tasmania,Australia
Joined Mar 2001
106 Posts
If you convert the transmitter to mode 2 this heli makes a great trainer, docile but full 4 ch operation to get your co-ordination working.
I flew mine outside this evening at dusk with just a very light breeze, it was an absolute blast and very relaxing compared to my V911, I don't know what the transmitters range is but it's a lot longer than I ever expected out doors from an IR rig.
geebee is offline Find More Posts by geebee
Old Jun 09, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
I don't do flying vids much, but everybody else will...these are shipping.

Best I can say is it flies unremarkably; it is stable, and does well in the air.
That being said, it is entirely apart at the moment.

Syma's New S800G is a very logical step up for an S107 lover.
Well is it a good starter copter
Toody is offline Find More Posts by Toody
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:37 AM
Hobart,Tasmania,Australia
Joined Mar 2001
106 Posts
I am not the one that the question was aimed at but having just started into helicopters, yes it would be a good starter, it is stable, slow, and will hover easily but it requires constant throttle adjustment to maintain height when turning and moving sideways which I find good training for my v911.
The 4th channel makes the helicopter more entertaining and allows precise positioning for spot landing easier.
geebee is offline Find More Posts by geebee
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:38 AM View Post
wenney2009
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while wenney2009 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:41 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenney2009 View Post
you could buy it from http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/711846, free shipping ,and the price is only 30$,it is a discount ,it's rare opportunity,pls don't miss it.

Or, you could buy it from Amazon for $20 with free 2 day shipping if you have Amazon prime, or add a book or something for $5 if you don't.

http://www.amazon.com/Syma-Channel-R...9339221&sr=8-1
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:46 AM View Post
wenney2009
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while wenney2009 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:38 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenney2009 View Post
Syma company has a new metal helicopter in 2012,Brand New! Very Easy To Fly! Best choice for Beginner! with metal frame and gyro system (for precision control)! Now is a swifter and shall more stable fly.it has led light also ,it is a good gift to kids.the color is white or black,very cool ,there are some SYMA S800G pics in http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/711846 , you could have a look.
welcome friends to talk about SYMA S800G metal 4ch RC helicopter and tell your experience of playing helicopter.
Wait, what? Was that an accidental double-tap, or are you a sockpuppet?

Did you even read Kurt's post?
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
A "sock puppet" is an alias nic, there's still a person inside pretending it's a second concurring voice though.

I suspect what we have here is a spambot.