HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker View Post
The manual should be done shortly...I only have a few last things to do on it. I've had so much family stuff over the last few months that has consumed almost all of my free time. I wish Park Scale Models could be my full time job, but unfortunately it's not. I have a regular full time job, a family and Park Scale Models. Family is always first and foremost in my life. I put almost all of my available free time into Park Scale Models, but I'm only one guy and I'm doing it all myself.

I have all of the assembly illustrations and instructions done. All that remains is the final notes for finishing and flying.

You are correct James, the rear hole is for a short piece of dowel.

I haven't been on RCGroups much over the last several months, but anyone can shoot me any email if they have any questions about anything.

Zeke,

Good to see you back, I was starting to think something bad might have happened. Taking care of the important things like family and work are a much better reason than I figgured might have kept you away. Looking forward to more of your stuff as it comes out!

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:11 AM
Joined Mar 2007
14 Posts
Almost finished.

James Phillips
120pilot is offline Find More Posts by 120pilot
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:47 AM
Joined Mar 2007
14 Posts
Well I got to maiden the monocoupe tonight and it went well. I too had to add a little weight to the nose. One picture shows the nut I used for the weight. It is being held in place by the motors magnet. Once the weight and balance and the elevator trim was sorted out if flew very nicely. It reminded me of the Hobbyzone Champ although I wasn't able to fly it quite as slow or at least I wasn't comfortable enough yet to try it. I still need to add the struts and tissue the wing ribs. But I just couldn't wait any longer to see how she flies.

I couldn't be happier with the the outcome. This model was a joy to build. I had so much fun building it that I had already decided it was OK if it didn't fly well. It just looks so sharp...for one of my models anyway. But it also flys great and will turn on a dime. I didn't try any loops or anything because I want to add the wing struts first. But I have no doubt it is capable of doing some light aerobatics.

I want to thank Zeke for a brilliant design and a very high quality kit. Everything fit perfectly and the balsa was top notch. I hope Zeke still plans on expanding this line. I am looking forward to building the De Havilland Beaver and I hope there is more beyond that to come.

I also want to thank Paul Bradley for his excellent build thread and for sharing his printed tissue graphics files and application method. This is my first attempt at printed tissue and I really enjoyed the process and the results.

If I were to build this airplane over there is only one thing I would change. I would not use the mustang motor and prop. It is way to much power. I fly indoors and I don't think I ever got above about 1/4 -1/3 throttle. There is no way I would ever go full power with it. Maybe outdoors but not indoors where there are rafters about 25-30 feet up. I think the champ motor and prop would be better and probably more than enough power.

I wrote down the weight of the finished model and how much I added to the nose. Then I forgot to bring the piece of paper home. If anyone is interested I will post the weights tomorrow.

Anyways I know there are others building or finished building this model. I would love to see and hear how they turned out. Have fun!!

James Phillips
Last edited by 120pilot; Jul 13, 2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:48 PM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
701 Posts
Nice looking model. It is nice to see some of the finished models being built from Zeke's kits. The motor from the UMX Micro Mustang does supply more power than needed for indoor flying, but if you do take it outdoors you will like having the reserve power. It comes in handy when flying in modest wind. The little Monocoupe will handle the wind nicely and you don't have to wait on dead calm flying conditons.

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is offline Find More Posts by PaulBrad
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Mar 2007
14 Posts
Thanks Paul. For indoor flying at least I think I would have more throttle response with a smaller motor. As it is now I am using so little throttle that it's almost an on or off affair. BTW I didn't print the red color ( the camera makes it look orange but it really is red) onto the tissue. I bought a package of red tissue from Michaels craft store for $1 and some change. I changed the yellow in your files to white and printed the black on a laser printer. Now if I just had enough talent to draw my own graphics-oh well.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:29 PM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,216 Posts
James...Congrats on the successful maiden! If you ever get a chance to shoot some video, I'm sure we'd all love to see it. One thought on the P-51 motor...it's not really the motor, it's the prop. I have the prop for the Cessna on mine and it's great. The P-51 prop is too big...way too much torque!
Great idea on the tissue covering! Starting with tissue that already has a base color makes it all that much easier! I may give that a try on the DeHaviland Beaver.

I just got home from Warbirds over Delaware. Much to my delight, both Friday and Saturday evenings were dead calm, so the Mico Monocoupe got to see a lot of airtime with pilots like Thayer Syme, Dave Malchione and Dave Malchione Jr. on the sticks...and lots of smiles to go around! Flying at dusk was fun since the light on the AR6400 lit up the cabin. Someone's going to have to put lights on theirs.

I'm going to put together some downloadable graphics for the Monocoupe over the next couple of weeks.

-Zeke
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:42 AM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,441 Posts
I was very pleased with the Micro Moncoupe and was very impressed with its handling and how realistic it looks in the air. If you have some donor gear this is a great home for it.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:28 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,062 Posts
Quote:
I may give that a try on the DeHaviland Beaver.
Alright!! A clue that the Beaver is still in the works!!!! (I was afraid that, given the delays surrounding the Monocoupe Construction Manual, the Wisp series was (temporarily) on hold). I've really been looking forward to the Beaver, especially since I enjoyed the Monocoupe so much.

Will the Beaver have a float option?

Quote:
I'm going to put together some downloadable graphics for the Monocoupe over the next couple of weeks.
Excellent - thanks.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
I need to dig mine back out ( Its mostly done, and got set aside for other projects ) I noticed folks were commenting on the p51 motor/prop having to much power, I have set mine up for a bl180 2300kv/2s setup and am now wondering if its going to be spending its whole life at 1/4 throttle. Thoughts?

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:46 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
I need to dig mine back out ( Its mostly done, and got set aside for other projects ) I noticed folks were commenting on the p51 motor/prop having to much power, I have set mine up for a bl180 2300kv/2s setup and am now wondering if its going to be spending its whole life at 1/4 throttle. Thoughts?

Mendo
As I had said, it's not the motor, it's the prop selection that's the issue. I have the P-51 motor/gearbox, but I am using the Cessna prop instead of the P-51 prop. The bigger P-51 prop causes a lot more torque roll.

I don't know the weight of the BL 180 compared to the Brushed motor/gearbox. With the BL180 and the 2S battery, I don't know if weight will be an issue or not. I have no doubt it will fly, but it'll probably be a little bit faster. Torque roll from using the GWS prop could possible be an issue as well. Just keep these things in mind when you go to fly it. If you are anticipating these issues, they shouldn't bite you.

-Zeke
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:10 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,599 Posts
Quote:
As I had said, it's not the motor, it's the prop selection that's the issue. I have the P-51 motor/gearbox, but I am using the Cessna prop instead of the P-51 prop. The bigger P-51 prop causes a lot more torque roll.

-Zeke
Zeke is correct in his suggestion. The weight up front is required anyway, so it should be motor or battery or both. You can use the milder motor from the first Sukohi or the Champ motor and prop down. I'd look for something with a lower pitch and then smaller diameter. The umx Beast 3D prop is a 2.5 pitch and they are not hard to cut down. You should be able to get a combination that will provide a good throttle range on the stick and it will also be a "cruise" for the motor.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:

I don't know the weight of the BL 180 compared to the Brushed motor/gearbox. With the BL180 and the 2S battery, I don't know if weight will be an issue or not. I have no doubt it will fly, but it'll probably be a little bit faster. Torque roll from using the GWS prop could possible be an issue as well. Just keep these things in mind when you go to fly it. If you are anticipating these issues, they shouldn't bite you.

-Zeke
I dont think the weight from the 180 and 2s setup will be an issue as far as wing loading goes, this little bugger will never see a indoor site. As far as the torque issues go I have the firewall set up so the thrustline can be adjusted a few degrees from stock in both axis, and had also figgured on running a stock eflite 5x2.75 for starters and if it was too much probably picking up one of the hyper taxi's 5.5x2 props to cut down a touch. I should also mention that Im using a 415rx, 5320 servos, and a proton 6a esc and not a HH brick, so a few grams were saved there as well. I ought to get it finished up one of these days since its supposed to be a gift for my father once its done. I think the only reason he hasnt asked about it lately is I gave him a fliton extra to wring out when I bought this little bugger to build for him to terrorize his work parking lot.

Awesome job on the kit and all the laser cutting/engineering as well as a nice subject! How about a float version of that otter your working on?

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:04 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,062 Posts
Quote:
How about a float version of that otter your working on?
An Otter .... as well as a Beaver? Hope that's true.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:27 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
My apologies, I meant Beaver on floats. I brain farted and typed Otter by mistake.

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:57 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,216 Posts
Quote:
As far as the torque issues go I have the firewall set up so the thrustline can be adjusted a few degrees from stock in both axis, and had also figgured on running a stock eflite 5x2.75 for starters and if it was too much probably picking up one of the hyper taxi's 5.5x2 props to cut down a touch.
I just measured the parkzone Cessna prop and it's 4" in diameter (not sure of the pitch) and it flies happily at 1/2 throttle. A 5 to 5.5" prop is going to create a lot more torque, so be careful.

Quote:
Awesome job on the kit and all the laser cutting/engineering as well as a nice subject! How about a float version of that otter your working on?
Thanks Mendo, I appreciate the feedback! As to a float version of the Beaver....it's probably not going to happen. Water and 1/32" balsa don't really mix together very well.
RCG Plus Member