Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:55 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinaberfein View Post
...and could this possibly be accomplished by lightening the tail structure just a bit?
After giving it some thought, I could add an additional cowl ring which would do two things...add a small amount of weight to the nose and also require the power pack to move forward an additional 1/8". Since I was thinking the cowl could be a little bigger (deeper?), I think I will do this.
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:32 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker View Post
I was thinking the cowl could be a little bigger (deeper?)....
Great, and cowl bumps would also add just a tad of weight. Do you think you'll offer a vac cowl?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:50 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker View Post
I think I added about 4g. Unfortunately there's really no way to lighten the tail structure. All that's back there is the fuselage sides, top and bottom and the stabilizers, so there's nothing to be removed unless you start cutting holes in the structure.

A clipwing would certainly be possible and I'd be happy to do it for you. I did some quick calculations and the wing loading goes from 4.5oz/sq.ft to 7oz/sq.ft (1373 g/m^2 to 2135 g/m^2). It'll fly a little faster, but not unreasonably so.
Hello Zeke,

... that would be terrific and a bit of speed is never a bad thing let us know when you are ready to accept orders. Likely a stick and tissue construction for the tail feathers would not really give anything worthwhile as a weight savings ?

Jens
kleinaberfein is offline Find More Posts by kleinaberfein
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:02 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinaberfein View Post
Likely a stick and tissue construction for the tail feathers would not really give anything worthwhile as a weight savings ?
Since the stabs are made from 1/32" sheet balsa, I don't think there would be any appreciable savings in weight over 1/32" sheet vs. 1/16" stick and tissue.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:13 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
Yes I agree that would not likely work out to any useful weight savings. I had not realized the material was that thin (had to convert that to MM :-) ) . A clip winged version would be of great interest for me (both as the mini and the normal sized version). Would a 5 Gramm BL system work here as well in the new mini version?

Jens
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:02 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
For nose weight you can use a GWS 5030 or 5043(better) prop. that will add at least 0.7g to the nose of the plane. 1.2 considering you should use a prop adapter.

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:37 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,132 Posts
The beta build kit is in the hands of the builder. He will be starting a new thread once he has started building and can take some photos. Once he has started the thread, I will post a link to it here (if he doesn't).

I wasn't happy with how the cockpit/nose of the Beaver turned out, so I ended up redesigning it and I am much happier with how it looks and the design overall. I hope to get the cut file done in the next day or so and get a set of parts cut...maybe even start building this weekend.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:58 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
looks great!

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:34 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
grin grin cannot wait untill this mini coupe is available.

Jens
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Anxiously await both a clipped wing and normal Monocoupe. Clipped first but I'll get both if they are available at tha same time.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:18 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Anxiously await both a clipped wing and normal Monocoupe. Clipped first but I'll get both if they are available at tha same time.

Pete
Since there's really no difference between them, they will be available at the same time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:09 AM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
697 Posts
They mystery beta kit builder is unveiled

I just wanted to let readers of this thread know that Zeke has extended me the privilege of being the beta kit builder for his UM equipment based micro Monocoupe 90a. You will find my build thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595126&pp=100#post20750619

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is offline Find More Posts by PaulBrad
Last edited by PaulBrad; Feb 15, 2012 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:49 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Well, I'm waiting for stocks of the Mini Drake to reach the UK but now it seems I've got two more in the build queue. Love the Monocoupe and the Beaver's a "must have" too
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:25 PM
Carleton Place, Ontario, CANADA
Joined May 2008
26 Posts
verrryy nice. great looking and great flying. l see a family of monocoupes in my hangar -- the mini, the regular AND the upsized version!!! (hint, hint, hint!)
hetr is offline Find More Posts by hetr