HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:48 AM
Citizen of the Universe
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2004
352 Posts
Discussion
Sterling Fokker D-7 conversion to electric power

] purchased a built but not completed Sterling Fokker D-7. The control horns, servos, engine, fuel tank, etc had never been installed. I have been wanting this size WW1 era biplane for electric power for a while. The plane will get new covering after its flying, but for now I can live with the ugly covering job. I have a Monster Power 60, ESC and Battery form another project I will be using. I located the motor and determined thet the maple mounts for the glow engine had to be removed forward of the firewall. I cut that out and used a piece of 1/4 inch ply to space the motor out properly in relation to the the cowl. The plane was built with a screw down panel over the fuel tank location, I will convert this to magnet held and the area will be perfect for the 5 cell Lipo batttery. This looks like it will be a very easy conversion and if I dont have to work too much overtime, I should have it ready to fly in a couple weeks. It was strange, but two more Sterling D-7 kits came up for sale so I got them also. One of the kits had barely been started but the good thing is that it came with an extra cowl. The plane I am working on was missing the cowl, how lucky am I?
The other D-7 is completely built and was ready to fly except that it weighs 13 pounds without engine, servos, fuel tank, battery, etc., just the airframe itself. It is one beautifukl plane and would be a great garage hanger, I may hang it, or strip it and try to lighten it.
Denny
tenacious101010 is offline Find More Posts by tenacious101010
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:52 AM
Citizen of the Universe
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2004
352 Posts
The nice looking D7 is now hanging from the ceiling of a friends place. The ugly one has flown with the power setup I pictured earlier. The plane flew great. It did so good, I am in the process of recovering it. Really tough to completely recover an assembled airplane but the fuselage is almost done.
Old May 01, 2012, 08:53 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I had one of these kits way back in my oily days, well before I left England for the US. 'Built like a tank' still springs to mind... Oddly enough, mine only sat in the shop for a few months, before 'moving on' - I never even started on building it.

The new colour scheme will be much nicer, but watch out for that CG aft migration as you re-do it. Happens a lot to scale models if you don't stay awake and ahead of it.

Good luck with the project

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 01, 2012, 10:12 AM
Citizen of the Universe
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2004
352 Posts
Thanks for the helpful reminder to re-verify the CG. It now balances 4 7/8 from the LE of the top wing. It balanced before at 4 3/4 so it should flu close to the same. I finally have the plane recovered and its not the best covering job I have ever done but I like it a lot more. The shade of red it was before looked so dull and drab, this deeper red is much nicer and the white gives it good contrast. The black markings didnt hurt anything either. I am excited about taking it out to fly, hopefully soon.
Denny
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,518 Posts
That looks nice. I have a Lanier RC DVII (nowhere near the same class) that I want to recover as well, just to make it more interesting.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:34 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I have a smaller Global Hobby Fokker D-VII, flies nice but the GH goons put the ailerons on the lower wing, and made them undersized.

It will stably fly a good bit below the airspeed at which the ailerons do much!
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:35 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I have a smaller Global Hobby Fokker D-VII, flies nice but the GH goons put the ailerons on the lower wing, and made them undersized.

It will stably fly a good bit below the airspeed at which the ailerons do much!
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave