SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2012, 06:50 AM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a little help on my new Blade msrX

I just picked up new blade msrx yesterday. But when I try to fly it and watch it from the tail end the heli just wants to tip to the left. So on take off it just flys off to the left and I cannot figure out how to comps ate for it.

Any thoughts for a new owner.

Thanks
rdefino is offline Find More Posts by rdefino
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:05 AM
UK
Joined Apr 2005
66 Posts
This is normal for the mSRX.
Give it enough power to get the rotors spinning without lifting off, then just quickly increase the throttle to lift it off quickly (mine hovers at about half throttle) and be ready to catch the left slide with right aileron/ cyclic.
You'll notice the mSRX will take on a right skid low tilt when it's in a stable hover.
Happymeal is offline Find More Posts by Happymeal
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:28 AM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty new at this. So what does "catch the left side with the right aileron/cyclic" mean.

Thanks again
rdefino is offline Find More Posts by rdefino
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:51 AM
UK
Joined Apr 2005
66 Posts
Right cyclic is when you move the aileron stick on your transmitter to the right, not the rudder stick the other one.
With the heli powered up on the ground, it's the stick that makes the swashplate tilt left and right.

With the skids level, ie. the helicopter flat on the ground, it will fly to the left. Thats why you need to apply a right 'tilt' to the helicopter to stop it from moving left.

Cyclic control is in the manual.

See how the heli always leans to the right when hovering:

Blade mSR X (2 min 4 sec)
Happymeal is offline Find More Posts by Happymeal
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jan 2012
84 Posts
this is not an easy heli to start with.
you have fly it 100% of the time, you fingers are going to be on the sticks the whole time.

also it will remember and therefore fly your previous heading so you must compensate and correct for this.

make sure your trim is zero'd.
I read somewhere that you can not trim this heli because of the flybarless system.
ebeing is offline Find More Posts by ebeing
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
me too!

I guess I need to get in on this thread too. I am not a total newbie on heli's but I can NOT get this one off the ground (well for more than a half second I guess) :-)

Am I taking all this to mean that once the bird is in the air after the slide to the left that a touch of right aileron should be reward me w/ a hover?

To date, the best I have done is hard slide left, counter slide right, rotor blade to face, swear, repeat :-)

is there a way to verify that the gyro is working correctly?, it seems cheesy to blame hardware, but this bird is supposed to be KINDA easy, and is billed as a next step up from my (first bird) MCX and then my second (MCX2).

--T
tom upside down is offline Find More Posts by tom upside down
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
I don't have the msrX, but I'll try to clarify what HappyMeal is trying to say. The helicopter in a stable hover will lean to the right a little bit (right skid is lower than the left skid), due to the main rotor drive shaft being tilted to the right.

When the heli is on the ground, the skids are level, so when you first take off, the heli will drift left until it gets it's "balance". To compensate for this on take off, give it some right cyclic (cyclic is normally the right stick). Give it some right cyclic for a second or two, and then go back to center (no cyclic).
taz291819 is offline Find More Posts by taz291819
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:00 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
It helps if you get off the ground quickly, too. Most of your problems are due to the heli trying to get away from the air currents it's creating. Try holding the heli in your right hand and increase throttle with your left hand until you can let go. Or ask somebody else to hold it for you. If you have nobody else to help, get a piece of eggcrate plastic flourescent light fixture cover from a hardware or building supply. Suspend it between 2 chairs, or whatever else you have and use this as your launch pad. That will eliminate the air current and make it much easier to take off.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, KY, Owensboro
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom upside down View Post
I guess I need to get in on this thread too. I am not a total newbie on heli's but I can NOT get this one off the ground (well for more than a half second I guess) :-)

Am I taking all this to mean that once the bird is in the air after the slide to the left that a touch of right aileron should be reward me w/ a hover?

To date, the best I have done is hard slide left, counter slide right, rotor blade to face, swear, repeat :-)

is there a way to verify that the gyro is working correctly?, it seems cheesy to blame hardware, but this bird is supposed to be KINDA easy, and is billed as a next step up from my (first bird) MCX and then my second (MCX2).

--T
Hey Tom. I feel your pain. I'm like you, no expert, but not a total newb either. The best way to start out with this bird is to make sure th swash is level. If its not, make adjustments to the servo links to achieve this. Now the biggest thing I've noticed with the MsrX is that it won't self correct. When you give it an input to do something it keeps doing it until you counter that movement. When you throttle the heli up on the ground give it a second at low throttle to spool up and let the tail rotor get moving. Then punch the throttle enough to get it into the air. Give some right cyclic to stop the leftward movement. Then counter that with a slight right cyclic motion. This is how it works best for me. This bird is not a hands off hover heli, it takes constant stick inputs to keep it in the air. Also be sure you plug in the battery with the heli on a level surface and don't move it until you here the servos buzz a little. This intializes the gyros. I plug the battery up wait for servo buzz then slide battery into the holding tray.

I hope this helps a little.
SlyKYFox is offline Find More Posts by SlyKYFox
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:35 PM
noob
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
I got my MSRX RTF yesterday and have flown about 6 batteries through it. My experience is the same as yours, on takeoff it wanders hard to the left, so I have to compensate by pushing the right stick slightly to the right. It's a timing thing tho, just relax and give yourself plenty of room to work. I'm in a small spare bedroom but am able to get an okay-ish over for 10-30 sec before the thing goes nuts on me, haha!

I'm also using the included transmitter, it has to settings (advanced and beginner) and I prefer the advanced. You toggle the setting by pressing IN on the right stick for a couple seconds, when you release, the center light on the transmitter will be blinking. You are now in beginner mode, it calms the response down a bit. Have fun!
s5fs is offline Find More Posts by s5fs
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
more work

OK, thanks for all the input. I have created a flying area lots of padding.

we will see what we will see, I guess. Since the behaviour I am having matches everyone else I guess the gyro can be assumed to be working.

The eggcrate launching pad would seem to be shear genius :-) gotta see if I can come up with that.

--T
tom upside down is offline Find More Posts by tom upside down