HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:29 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2009
254 Posts
Thanks, ill check them out. But the whole point of the question was to steer completely away from Rotor Concept. He will gladly sell you one, but parts and any kind of customer service simply doesn't exist.
SCVJeff is offline Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:56 PM
Registered User
HummingbirdRPV's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Mar 2012
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djemif View Post
Hi,

I have a problem with my T380. after flying around 3 minutes, the counter clockwise motors getting hot, especially motor number 1. Also difficult to turn right.
I replaced motor number 1 with new motor. Now it can turn left and right but the motor still hot.
Can somebody help me?
sorry for my english.

Thank You.
Have you crashed your T380 a few times? If so the motor bearings could be damaged. A bag of 4 bearings can be bought from China for around 5 bucks. Only the top bearing can be changed and is usually the only one damaged.
I have fixed overheating motors by changing the upper bearing. The vibration from the bearing will make the motor under perform hence causing the yaw.
HummingbirdRPV is offline Find More Posts by HummingbirdRPV
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:58 PM
Professional RC Crash Pilot
eghershey's Avatar
Joined Mar 2007
361 Posts
Rotor Concepts problem

I purchased the Rotor Concepts version a year ago at the RC Expo in CA. I have tried with a lot of frustration to get the thing wired to a Spektrum receiver/radio combination. Of course no one could actually tell me how to wire the esc to the receiver. Since that time I found a graphic explanation on it and it actually made the copter fly perfectly. I'm not a copter pilot at all, only RC planes. But in three days of flying I was doing speedy figure 8's and takeoffs and landings were textbook.
Today the copter wouldn't take off...one motor refused to turn. Turns out it had a broken wire, I soldered it and it works perfectly. But now I can't get the copter off the ground. Its so squirmy on the ground I can't bring myself to actually let it lift.
Only change, I soldered a broken wire to a motor.
I've read the last three pages and much of it describes my problem.. One motor seems to be spinning way faster than the others. I have since messed with the trim on my Spektum DX7s so I'm kinda back to a new radio maiden flight.
I've checked the bearings, cleaned and oiled them and gave everything a tuneup and straightening so I'll give it a go tomorrow morning.
eghershey is offline Find More Posts by eghershey
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:47 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eghershey View Post
I purchased the Rotor Concepts version a year ago at the RC Expo in CA. I have tried with a lot of frustration to get the thing wired to a Spektrum receiver/radio combination. Of course no one could actually tell me how to wire the esc to the receiver. Since that time I found a graphic explanation on it and it actually made the copter fly perfectly. I'm not a copter pilot at all, only RC planes. But in three days of flying I was doing speedy figure 8's and takeoffs and landings were textbook.
Today the copter wouldn't take off...one motor refused to turn. Turns out it had a broken wire, I soldered it and it works perfectly. But now I can't get the copter off the ground. Its so squirmy on the ground I can't bring myself to actually let it lift.
Only change, I soldered a broken wire to a motor.
I've read the last three pages and much of it describes my problem.. One motor seems to be spinning way faster than the others. I have since messed with the trim on my Spektum DX7s so I'm kinda back to a new radio maiden flight.
I've checked the bearings, cleaned and oiled them and gave everything a tuneup and straightening so I'll give it a go tomorrow morning.
If it's been a while since you used it you could try doing a calibration as probably mentioned in this thread to ensure the sensors are defaulted correctly.

I don't recall off the top of my head but something like putting the throttle to max after you hear the first beep of it turning on.

Other than that ensure you turn it on with it level so that the sensors initialise correctly.

As with others though, if you're still getting problems after that it's likely to be the ESC board.

Post your results back here though so we can follow what's happening
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:44 AM
Registered User
flatlandrobin's Avatar
New Zealand, Otago, Queenstown
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
Just to update on my situation, new ESC board has just been received. Hopefully get a chance to fit it at the weekend and will report back then.
Nathan
flatlandrobin is offline Find More Posts by flatlandrobin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:05 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandrobin View Post
Just to update on my situation, new ESC board has just been received. Hopefully get a chance to fit it at the weekend and will report back then.
Nathan
Good news.
490905002 is offline Find More Posts by 490905002
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:50 PM
Professional RC Crash Pilot
eghershey's Avatar
Joined Mar 2007
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8666 View Post
Note for auto level and calibration: (Updated page one)
1. Please only power up the model when T380 is level on ground
2. if with the above, the T380 still shows large drift, follow the video below to recalibrate the Accelerometer

http://youtu.be/0ZbNmMbuiDA
In my attempt to calibrate, I get the single beep, I raise the throttle to full throttle and then raise the elevator to full up but I don't get any beeps. When I allow elevator back to neutral and then return throttle to off position it beeps and loads and I'm able to fly the copter but it isn't anywhere close to being in a neutral state. It wants to spin on its axis and my rudder lever has no effect on stopping it. Also it wants to tilt backwards and takes nearly full up on the stick (elevator) to get it to level.
I had no problem, never calibrated before yesterday when a wire on one motor broke, fixed it and it now spins properly but the copter now has a mind of its own.
eghershey is offline Find More Posts by eghershey
Last edited by eghershey; Nov 22, 2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Adding further results.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:18 PM
Professional RC Crash Pilot
eghershey's Avatar
Joined Mar 2007
361 Posts
Just took it out this morning and so help me, right from the get-go, it flew just as well as it has before. Just perfect. But.....about 2 minutes into the flight it started kinda' doing its own thing. Extremely hard to control and keep it in the area. Thank goodness the throttle worked smoothly, I was able to land it with success.
I did a visual check and said what the heck, give it a try with a fresh battery, It did the same thing, took about 3 minutes before it started misbehaving. It never did start beeping and when I put batteries on the charger, they still showed more than enough voltage to fly.
I'm going to take the copter apart and give everything a good going over.
eghershey is offline Find More Posts by eghershey
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:45 PM
Registered User
Kapiti,NZ
Joined May 2006
45 Posts
Same problem

I do have a bent prop shaft after a crash and suspect a bearing also.

Starts off okay but after about two minutes it develops a mind of its own also.

Waiting on a new motor from rccarmax--been about 3 weeks so far to get from the US to here.

Lets see-will recalibrate and check.

Roger
Rogerdee is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdee
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:59 PM
Registered User
tallflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,364 Posts
I just rebuilt mine and this time I used a Orange Hobby King REC (spektrum clone) I left it is the case this time and the glitching I had went away for now I was able to get a quick hover in. It seem to be working ok with no bad behavors.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:51 PM
Registered User
Kapiti,NZ
Joined May 2006
45 Posts
Mind of its own.

Got my two new motors today.Thanks 490905002

Replaced my bent rotor shaft assembly with new one.

Recalibrated accelerometer

Flew smoother and quieter but two mins later--a mind of its own

So ,any tips out there ?

Roger
Rogerdee is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdee
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:23 AM
Registered User
tallflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,364 Posts
After a crash that took off half my skid.I went through my helicopters wires with a volt meter and found a few bad solder joints along the way. I fixed what I found. and I have not had any issues. knock on wood so far.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:35 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer View Post
After a crash that took off half my skid.I went through my helicopters wires with a volt meter and found a few bad solder joints along the way. I fixed what I found. and I have not had any issues. knock on wood so far.
Was this the wires on the motors or also wires between the FC and ESC boards?

It would be interesting to know as I don't plan on replacing either of those boards with stock parts if they become faulty, I was planning on buying a different ESC/FC combo when one of them fails.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:45 PM
Registered User
Kapiti,NZ
Joined May 2006
45 Posts
Thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer View Post
After a crash that took off half my skid.I went through my helicopters wires with a volt meter and found a few bad solder joints along the way. I fixed what I found. and I have not had any issues. knock on wood so far.
My problem also started post crash against a gym wall so will do as you suggest.

Ta

Roger
Rogerdee is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdee
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:53 PM
Professional RC Crash Pilot
eghershey's Avatar
Joined Mar 2007
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
Was this the wires on the motors or also wires between the FC and ESC boards?

It would be interesting to know as I don't plan on replacing either of those boards with stock parts if they become faulty, I was planning on buying a different ESC/FC combo when one of them fails.
What will you replace them with? I'm frustrated at trying to find a replacement ESC.
eghershey is offline Find More Posts by eghershey
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Flight controller & esc's from lotusrc's new T580P+ quad malcr001 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 1 Oct 24, 2011 05:09 PM
Discussion What is the best value 6+ channel radio available under $200 RC_Crazy23 Radios 33 Oct 11, 2011 10:10 AM
Discussion Quad Propeller Guard - Sharing ideas, videos, photos lowfi Multirotor Talk 7 Jun 01, 2010 10:12 PM
Poll Best value in ARF electric gliders? SquireM Electric Sailplanes 15 Apr 10, 2010 07:17 AM
ESC discussion thread & poll (best value on price, governor, softstart, program ease. mhale71 Electric Heli Talk 8 Oct 25, 2005 10:09 PM