HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:23 AM
United States, PA, Eagleville
Joined Dec 2011
11 Posts
I have added the DJI equipment to the 60+ controllers that I have (commercial and hobby) and been playing with it for a little over a month now...

As for setup? If you can walk and chew gum at the same time, have eight fingers and more then three brain cells you can get it done quickly without hurting yourself... LOL Not rocket science but you have to read and pay attention to what your doing, just like anything else.

The price? I guess it's relative to what you want and what your willing to pay for. I like the equipment and see a great product, but feel it is a "pinch" pricy for the addons. But then again I cant see spending $190 on a piece of foam with a motor attached to it! (park flyers) LOL

There are commercial units in the price range that have the same features but offer little things like moisture proof enclosures and a "great" $200 GPS package... Oh yea... and at $15K I also have the source code license to play with...

So like I said it's relative... I give DJI 4 1/2 stars out of five and will continue to use it in my builds.

Have a good one...

BTW:
@TimeCop - You are a very talented and gifted individual, for your age, with many great contributions to this community. After 27 years in the engineering field myself, I can offer you one piece of advice that a great person offered me at that wise old age of 12 when I got started...

"all of the knowledge in the world is useless without the temperament of time"...

Keep up the great work you are doing and relax, your going to have a heart attack by 16!!! LOL
SkyMaxQuads is offline Find More Posts by SkyMaxQuads
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 04:11 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2012
193 Posts
:@TimeCop - You are a very talented and gifted individual, for your age, with many great contributions to this community. After 27 years in the engineering field myself, I can offer you one piece of advice that a great person offered me at that wise old age of 12 when I got started...

"all of the knowledge in the world is useless without the temperament of time"...

Keep up the great work you are doing and relax, your going to have a heart attack by 16!!! LOL [/QUOTE]

Now that is the best thing that someone has said to Timecop.

Control your behaviour Timcop and you will have a great future in electronic design.
Stupest is offline Find More Posts by Stupest
Old May 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Well, if you wanna get real technical, a $60-ish Chinese rabbit FC has the same feature too. And gimbal stabilization, and like 12 flight mixers (including Y6, lol), but the only difference it doesn't come in a plastic box. Hmm, $220-with-cost-of-around-40$ box from DJI or $60 random chinese FC without a box but with more features, ultrasonic + pressure althold, carefree, some promise of GPS (aren't they all), and Y6/octo/etc mixers, hmm, such a tough choice. I bet it will support PPM before DJI stuff, too.
Yeah, but you get what you pay for... poor quality and software kinda sucks
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old May 14, 2012, 04:23 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
to bring this back to the OPs question...

The major differences are the GPS based functionality....

both gimbal controls suck (limited to 90 degree output and analog refresh rates 50hz)

both have rate mode, auto leveling, battery monitor and Alt hold.

Both has similar setup procedures.

With the WKM you get the opportunity to spend $3k for click and go, auto take off and land and ground station control.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 14, 2012, 04:57 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,334 Posts
Ya, being a 'long-time' WKM owner, and having flown Naza, they certainly feel the same. Configuration/setup very similar.

But GPS has served me well, and click and go is pretty impressive. So it's really a road map thing that people need to think about when deciding between the two. I think. Do you want position hold and RTH and would you possibly want to go further with the other, paid option features? If not, and don't want to get into a debate about Y6, then go Naza.
llbr22 is online now Find More Posts by llbr22
Old May 14, 2012, 05:58 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
Yeah, but you get what you pay for... poor quality and software kinda sucks
only kind of true... the CopterControl and Multiwiicopter.com Paris boards are both around $100 and I have seen better videos (smooth flight and gimbal stabilization) out of those two boards than I have seen from the Naza....

Trech is using a multwiicopter.com Paris 4.0 for his CINESTAR gimbal becuase the WKM gimbal controls suck so bad..

$100 > $1k controller...

so $$ is not everything

oh and the setup for the CC is much better ( UI ) than the WKM

I own a WKM, HFpro, CC, Multiwii, KK and Naze32
Old May 14, 2012, 09:39 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,221 Posts
I have a multiwii arduino mega board with one of Jussi's 9dof boards. I have never been able to get it to work as well as either the WKM or the Naza. I still have the board. I am hoping some day the software will be mature.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old May 14, 2012, 09:56 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Tahoe on rate mode (gyro only) you feel the Naza is smoother and better in the wind?

I completely agree that Auto Level and Alt Hold the Naza Wins.... but what do you think about just rate mode?

I am currently playing with a witespys quad with quadrino and it is nice and smooth
Old May 14, 2012, 10:24 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
for rate mode, you really can't beat KK v4.7 I find that the smoothest and best flying rate mode. naza is pretty good once you get it dialed in. in many ways though, naza flies very similarly to uavx, but smoother. naze32 flies ok, but for some reason, it seems to be more quirky to little strange things. (as if sensors are noisy,which could very well be since it is digital sensor vs analog in both kk and uavx) I find that I am little less confident with multiwii due to this. but I also have the least time spent on it, and firmware is not mature yet. OpenCC is probably still the best for the bang. too bad it is so hard to get. naza's downside is that it really seem to be prefer narrow range of multi. (smaller, higher disk loading, which both 450 and 550 happens to be)

if I had to fly rate mode only, I will take KK. hands down.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 10:27 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
i just got a KK board....

but i had it flashed to Y-6 and really i want it on a X4

so now i need to get a programmer...

damn i have Castle Creation, Hyperion and multiwii programmers..... do bad no one makes an all in one...

I bet TimeCop has one
Old May 14, 2012, 10:33 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
lol. I would not run Y6 on KK, unless it is happy sunday's version. if you need it flashed, send it to me. I have a programmer. they are cheap though on ebay or HK. and run kkmulti flash tool. (and you can also flash esc's)
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 01:35 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
Tahoe on rate mode (gyro only) you feel the Naza is smoother and better in the wind?

I completely agree that Auto Level and Alt Hold the Naza Wins.... but what do you think about just rate mode?

I am currently playing with a witespys quad with quadrino and it is nice and smooth
I play occasionally with gyro's only mode. I kinda got over that with my Gaui 344 controller. I paid for auto level and that is what I want. If I want gyros only, I can go fly one of my single rotor helis. I appreciate both but prefer to concentrate on the task at hand vs just keeping the device in control. Just my preference and opinion.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old May 15, 2012, 01:40 AM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
hmm, interesting perspective Ed.... sounds like the Naza is perfect fit.
Old May 15, 2012, 02:42 AM
Joined Feb 2011
587 Posts
I like this thread. It's gone exceptionally well on all fronts.
pantherqs is offline Find More Posts by pantherqs
Old May 15, 2012, 07:52 AM
Linux Compatible
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Dec 2007
418 Posts
This thread is also 5 months old, and 3 months dead until someone decided to revive it to poke fun at TC.

It is funny to see how things have changed. The 'Well, if Rabbit is so good where is the thread here on it?' I found particularly funny.
machina is offline Find More Posts by machina