HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Also they keep adding new features to the Wookong like carefree where if you lose orientation you can still fly it in any direction even if you dont know which way its facing. Not sure if thats the best explanation. Also I am pretty sure Sid said that the hardware was diff but not pos.
Well, if you wanna get real technical, a $60-ish Chinese rabbit FC has the same feature too. And gimbal stabilization, and like 12 flight mixers (including Y6, lol), but the only difference it doesn't come in a plastic box. Hmm, $220-with-cost-of-around-40$ box from DJI or $60 random chinese FC without a box but with more features, ultrasonic + pressure althold, carefree, some promise of GPS (aren't they all), and Y6/octo/etc mixers, hmm, such a tough choice. I bet it will support PPM before DJI stuff, too.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:53 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
7,956 Posts
TC I am sorry but you bring up a "$60-ish Chinese Rabbit FC" and compare it to the Naza. If it is that great why don't I see it posted here? People are always looking for the next latest and greatest. GPS may be in the upgrade path for the Naza and the Bumblebee. DJI did that for their WKH starting with the Lite and then adding GPS. Same programing, same FC, just add GPS for $550. They do not talk about adding compass as well. That may also be part of the additional cost. I enjoy your posts most of the time, but man, you get out there at times.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
597 Posts
Will NAZA have compass soon? What 'bout carefree.
nicwilke is offline Find More Posts by nicwilke
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:17 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
7,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicwilke View Post
Will NAZA have compass soon? What 'bout carefree.
Buy a WKM if that is what you are looking for. I would not expect DJI to under price the WKM with the Naza and the same features.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:35 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Buy a WKM if that is what you are looking for. I would not expect DJI to under price the WKM with the Naza and the same features.
or buy a rabbit
titeuf007 is offline Find More Posts by titeuf007
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by titeuf007 View Post
or buy a rabbit
Where would I find a rabbit? Can I have their website please?
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/rabbit-fl...e-free-cf.html
Here you go, or same thing on ebay, or direct from taobao for even cheaper.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/rabbit-fl...e-free-cf.html
Here you go, or same thing on ebay, or direct from taobao for even cheaper.
Is there a website from the people who make this?
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
No, of course not.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Apr 2008
356 Posts
just brainstorming...or dreaming:

assuming that bumblebee is a fine "piloting only" controller board, if it's not going to evolve anymore, a external board could be built which would eventually have a GPS receiver and would "drive" FC board to, let's say, a waypoint. FC board would became only a "node" into a electronic network onto the copter. The other ones would be GPS/compass unit and a "main multiplexer" which would act like a rc control among GPS unit, FC, RX, etc which would generate the final outputs to the ESCs. Same multiplexer could be programmed to extend configuration capability, like doing a hexa out of a quad FC output.
GliderLover is offline Find More Posts by GliderLover
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
This is what kkmulticopter.kr did with their Navi board that goes on top of a kkboard, and it's a rather failure design. Possible? Yes. Stupid? Yes. Infact, so stupid that Chinese didn't even bother cloning the naviboard - but they swiftly cloned the new $120 "12 outputs" kkmulticopter-kr blackboard. (And promptly started selling it for 1/3 price).
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:25 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderLover View Post
just brainstorming...or dreaming:

assuming that bumblebee is a fine "piloting only" controller board, if it's not going to evolve anymore, a external board could be built which would eventually have a GPS receiver and would "drive" FC board to, let's say, a waypoint. FC board would became only a "node" into a electronic network onto the copter. The other ones would be GPS/compass unit and a "main multiplexer" which would act like a rc control among GPS unit, FC, RX, etc which would generate the final outputs to the ESCs. Same multiplexer could be programmed to extend configuration capability, like doing a hexa out of a quad FC output.
Sounds feasible I think

A high level controller (HLC) board could have:
  • set of Rx Inputs which you would connect to the Receiver - or maybe just 1 PPM one
  • reduced set of Rx Outputs which would go to the Naza/BB/whatever FC.
  • additional connections for GPS etc
The HLC would determine what signals to send to the surrogate FC depending on user Tx switch selection

I hear what you say tc, but that *was* using KK board and ATmega @ 8MHz
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Apr 2008
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
I hear what you say tc, but that *was* using KK board and ATmega @ 8MHz
Indeed. Timecop you should ask *why* it failed. If it has not been a design issue but rather a bad quality implementation problem, it can be fixed.
Additionally, the more FC works good (and it seems Bbee IS working well) to "fly", the simpler is work for add-on "navi" board and the higher chance of success. In a simplest approach, a navi board algorithm would simply calcule a two dimensional error vector between actual coordinates and next waypoint and normalize direction into copter config, a pretty simple task.
GliderLover is offline Find More Posts by GliderLover
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
Other than props damage, the flame wheel on average survive 4 hard crashes.
All 4 arms on my flame wheel shattered on my first hard crash. $80 to buy a whole new frame.

I should have snapped a photo of the crash site. There were pieces of that frame scattered across the parking lot in a 20 meter radius.
brianshell is offline Find More Posts by brianshell
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:23 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
By the way, back to the original topic for a moment... I decided to go ahead and shell out the dough for the WK-M. I'll have TWO complete setups when finished, one is the Flame Wheel 450 kit with the DJI Naza, and the other will be the XA 650 Hexa w/ the WK-M and the MC6500PRO camera mount.

Considering I've been doing multi-rotor for less than 10 days, I may be in over my head with the WK-M.. especially after the horror stories from TC on what it takes to configure it... Time will tell, I suppose.
brianshell is offline Find More Posts by brianshell