HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:09 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Trouble is, you wouldn't know what the permissable stress was until you exceeded it and the wing fell off - a bit "all or nothing" maybe!
Hehe, that's true. Although I reckon you could work out the power of the magnets reasonably easily. They are incredibly strong for their size and I reckon the loads would be pretty low ...unless you're planning on pulling massive amounts of negative G
Yak 52 is offline Find More Posts by Yak 52
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
Magnets

I use magnets to hold my wings. See my thread here and my post here and sequents.
Guizzo 17 is online now Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:04 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the comments and your input regarding wing fixing.

I have already decided to go with dowel pegs on the leading edge, in fact they are in already, slightly offset to reduce the weakness effect in alignment. I don't know if it's any better, just a theory I had while doing it!

They protrude through the UC former and provide positive location for the chin hatch, held at the front with a single magnet acting on a small adjustable screw head.

The nose cone has two short balsa tabs and is a friction fit.

I must admit I was close to going the way Owl suggested, ie sticking with the simple method, but I really do want to tidy it up. Anyway, I hadn't thought of using magnets on the TE, it's a wonderful idea! And as Yak says, I don't intend pulling negative G anytime soon, well not intentionally anyway

I had sort of decided to install a dowel peg or tab inside the fuse and another tab on the underside with a small slot at the rear, A band would be routed through a small hole in the TE to keep everything in place, something like the very rough sketch.

The more I think about the magnets, the more I like the idea! A pair of magnets with a small location tab would do the job admirably I think!

Cheers guys

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:36 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,895 Posts
Sounds OK to me Sparks. I came late to the use of magnets, only started using them for hatch and nose cowl retention etc about a year ago when I bought a pack of 50 5mm ones from Giant Cod and have used them so much that the last 6 of the 50 went into the Mamba, so I need to order more! They really do make for easy and neat fitting and convenient operation on the field.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:24 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Back from my travels and had a bit of board time today.

Finally built up the elevator and it's on the board drying now.
I still have to sort the wing retainers, then its on to sanding, smoothing and covering. Looks like I might just get it finished in time George.

sparks
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:29 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,895 Posts
Go on Sparks, you can do it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:24 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Sparks
I really should hang out here more often - there's about the right amount of proper building going on here.

Here's my 'Raven 2X' - finally ended up as a pull-out plan in the October edition of 'Quiet & Electric Flight International' from UK based Traplet Publications. 2X full size meant that the span closely matches the standard length of balsa - less fuss all round

Did pretty much what you did - doubled the kit plan from 'House of Frog' and converted it to a much shorter motor. That's a 25gm Chino-cheapie that delivers adequate power to fly for ages on a 7 x 4 and a 2S LiPo of around 400mA. Controls are rudder and elevator, which work just fine. Flying weight is 8.6oz or thereabouts, battery dependent.

Used bamboo dowels and rubber bands to hold the wing on, as that looks about right. Your magnets will look even better, as a simulated glued-in wing. My top battery hatch is not exactly 'scale', but have long had this thing that electrics should be as easy to 'refuel' as the slimey models I used to fly in the last century

Other grand departures from 'scale' involve the tailfeathers - built up from 1/8" strip, as the model started looking like tail-heaviness was setting in - and she's covered in 'Solarfilm Lite'. I'd run out of Balsaloc to stick Litespan on with and doped tissue is right out of it. One, we live in a condo and the neighbours wouldn't care for the smell. Two, my wife is allergic to all paint fumes (unless being applied to the inside of our condo, oddly enough ).

Good luck with your 'Frogging', she'll make you smile when you get to watch her doing scale-like circles in the sky, but landing in the same field she started from. Mine also does some very un-Frog-like party tricks, but only if no-one else is watching...

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:44 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Looks great Dereck,
I have been away again!
But have made a little progress here and there over the last week:

Covered the wing with red litespan, result looks good. I used the matt side out so it does have very 'tissue like' looks. Prepped the fuse and remaining components for covering with yellow litespan. Yes rhubarb and custard is the order of the day.
Still trying to get this one finished before the deadline.

sparks
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:46 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,882 Posts
Welcome back Sparks
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:52 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Thanks Owl, seems to have been ages since I was on here!
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:45 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
'Rhubarb and custard' - love it !

Must at least get back to Litespan and stop this shiny plastic look I've degenerated to.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:04 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,895 Posts
Glad to see you back Sparks - go for it, still plenty of time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:35 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Progress update Frogaholics!
All flying surfaces are now covered!
I put the elevator and rudder control rods in last night, so now I can get the servos mounted, fuselage covered and the other bits and bobs finished.

Hope to get it there or thereabouts this weekend. Stormy weather (may be only sandstorm!) forecast for this weekend so the maiden will have to wait even if I do complete.

Photo's will follow before the final assembly.

Still aiming to finish in time and fly it!

sparks
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:47 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,895 Posts
Go for it Sparks - glad to see you should make it. If flying becomes a problem due to weather, don't forget this build off only specified photos of the FINISHED model, not flying shots or video were needed for entry. It'll be nice as we will then have three Ravens in different sizes and with different power systems - Jon's original size rubber one, Warren's 1.5x diesel powered one and your 2x electric.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:53 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Photo update on the Rhubarb and Custard Raven.

Fuselage covered and parts slotted together.
Still got some bits and bobs to finish, you know, those little things that always take longer than the big ones!

sparks