Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Dave O, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, NJ, Evesham Township
Joined Oct 2011
201 Posts
Discussion
Taking off the training gear

Given my novice propensity for crashing, I've been using a set of training gear to facilitate takeoffs and soften the uh "landings". After a few weeks and a dozen packs with moderately controlled takeoff and landing, I decided to remove the gear and see if I could still maintain control.

What a difference!

I had assumed that while seemingly small, the additional mass low on the heli would affect the flight dynamics. I had not idea how significant the affect was. I was still able to maintain control (barely), but was very surprised at how much faster the control responses were.

I'm a novice, and will be for a while, but I can definitely recommend using the training gear.

1 Helps stabilize the heli during spin up and takeoff
2 Reduces damage of not so soft landings
3 Slows down the heli so novice response times can still maintain control
Dave O is offline Find More Posts by Dave O
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:44 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,611 Posts
Honestly, I would say do not use training gear, and I will explain.

As you realized the control without it is much more responsive, the training gear does help from potential crashing, but it also gets you used to a slower then normal response. I would say use training gear until you can land it without wanting to really tip over too much, then get it off, when you are first learning to hover that is when it is most critical because you are actually learning, and what you learn here will stick, so if you really learn with the training gear, when you take it off it will lead to some struggle with the extra responsiveness, but if you actually learn to hover with it off, I think the rest of the learning curve will go just that much more smoother.

Just my opinion .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, NJ, Evesham Township
Joined Oct 2011
201 Posts
I agree, remove it as soon as you're able.

However, in the short time I was using it, the training gear helped me overcome issues with takeoff and softened landings. It also helped with hovering. Now that it's gone, I can now control the takeoff, and "reasonable" landings. Hovering took another battery to get back under control.

No doubt, you should not leave it on longer than necessary, but for me it was necessary. I could not get the bird up in the air without it.
Dave O is offline Find More Posts by Dave O
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:40 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
I agree, remove it as soon as you're able.

However, in the short time I was using it, the training gear helped me overcome issues with takeoff and softened landings. It also helped with hovering. Now that it's gone, I can now control the takeoff, and "reasonable" landings. Hovering took another battery to get back under control.

No doubt, you should not leave it on longer than necessary, but for me it was necessary. I could not get the bird up in the air without it.
That's what they are really best for, learning to take off .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE