HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 05, 2003, 11:20 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
GWS Tiger Moth - A Newbies Story Part 5!!

Hey guys, part 5! You know, now we're like family.

The regular links...

Part one: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=114411

Part two: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=140767

Part three: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

Part four: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

Corey (The Enemy)
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Last edited by The Enemy; Oct 26, 2003 at 10:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2003, 11:24 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Doesn't it really look like the Tigermoth Should have it own forum?
It could have all the various threads there. Doesn't look to me like the TM is loosing any steam yet!
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Oct 06, 2003, 04:54 AM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
Nose First:

I had a similar cliching problem after I had attatched a new airial to my RX, just check out your solder there to make sure you hav'nt streatched it or something, especially after a prang, and the only other thing it could be if your got your motor wires next to your RX. Failing a check of all your components, everything plugged in, solder joints etc, it could be a one off outside interference. Do you get any cliching on your pre flight check, with your arial down and standing about 30ft away?
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas
Old Oct 06, 2003, 08:06 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
woot, part 5 and still going strong!!!!

When I was flying yesterday I noticed I was getting some glitching in just one certain part of the field. never got it there before but it was pretty bad yesterday. everytime I flew through that area you could hear the engine start sputtering like mad. at first I thought I had my antenna pointed towards it and a few times I did, but on the last few times I made sure that it was pointing to the ground. The only difference in where and when this started was I was standing in a different spot then I have been. was just wierd that when the plane got close to me (within 50 feet of me I would say) that it started sputtering like that. but only in that one spot. go figure.

DD
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Oct 06, 2003, 08:10 AM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
Part 1 - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=114411

Part deuce - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=140767

I can still get to them...
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
Last edited by reills; Oct 06, 2003 at 01:40 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2003, 08:19 AM
The devils playground
Island of Tasmania
Joined Apr 2003
799 Posts
great thread guys all interesting stuff, its great you guys can meet up and fly the moths together and BC.. Luis jumping over your moth OMG! that would make a great pic, try and do it again for the camera next time

Luis, have you done any touch and goes in that water yet ? bypass canal ?? sounds like a cross between a dentist and a heart operation ? what does it mean ?

TC Chris, i thought it was you maidened a moth at night lol and took your own pics and in a car park .. lol amazing I had 30 acres of grass to maiden my moth and I was a nervous wreck

Trikster, landing and taking off from a church roof lol, 1987 Wes flying in a graveyard this thread sure would make interesting reading in print I recon
Taz
Tasmania is offline Find More Posts by Tasmania
Old Oct 06, 2003, 08:24 AM
Hiigaran member
'on a mountian in New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2002
904 Posts
Loose interest in the TM!? NEVER! You should have seen the looks on the faces of the slimer pilots at our annual "Scale Meet" yesterday; it was priceless! They had no choice but to let me compete and I don't think I have to go into too much detail as to who won the "Short takeoff/short landing"! LOVE my TM!

"Overclocked and ready to BURN!" -LY
Lone Yankee is offline Find More Posts by Lone Yankee
Old Oct 06, 2003, 08:34 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I think that they would also have trouble competing in a slow flight event with the tm too.
Or with lipolys in the tm how about a last man down event? Everyone takes off and the last one to land wins?

People still don't think that electric models can fly as long as a slimmer model.

I still run across those who don't think that the Tigermoth is a "real" radio control model. Does that mean that I only imaginge it?
Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2003, 10:24 AM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
i think we would win the 'fastest repair after a horrid landing' competition too.

a local club is having a trainer fun fly-in contest - most loops in 1 min. most touch-n-goes, spot landing and bomb drop. I think i might go there with my slow stick (they might argue the TM isnt a trainer) - except for the looping part I think my 'fake r/c plane' could beat 'em all.
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first
Old Oct 06, 2003, 10:47 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
doesn't it amaze you how they don't consider electric planes to be real. They are probably the easiest least expensive way for people to learn the basics of flying rc. And the least risk too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2003, 11:50 AM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
my favorite was the conversation i had when i first joined one of the clubs near me. I mentioned how I had pics of me flying a 'real' beechcraft bonanza - to which they replied (as if i said their mama's were uglier than sin) -- "you mean full scale". at the risk of being flamed if I cant fly it while sitting in it - its not the real thing. I didnt drive to work today in my full scale car.

but i do agree - i wish i had found electrics before glow. they allow you to land more at first (i think flying is easy for the most part - its the taking off and landing that gets ya) but before this thread is turned into the glow-vs-electric...

and as a final note - the morning i maidened the TM, my 3 yr old wanted to fly with 'daddy's controller' (he has an old futaba radio that he 'helps' me fly the planes). I showed him the stick on the left that makes it go fast, and the one on the right that makes circles. with no help he got the moth airborne and with a little help he was flying. after he cut the throttle and gave it full down elevator, i took over - but until then he was doing pretty good. i love this plane
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first
Old Oct 06, 2003, 12:13 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I am going to be visiting my 13 year old for about 2 weeks this November and I am going to be using my TM to teach him to fly. Or at least as much as I can in two weeks.
I wouldn't consider a glow plane for that. I am meeting him at my mothers place in Oklahoma. And I don't want to spend all my time looking for a place to fly. With the Tigermoth I won't have too. There are so many places that you can fly an electric moth that you can't glow.
Not saying there is anything wrong with glow power. Just that electric now makes things possible that you could not do with glow power. Even though I do love the sound of a nice 4 stroke....
I used to have a Top Flite Elder with hp .21 4 stroke. Sweet plane. Not unlike the moth in the way it flew.
I have even thought of scaling one down....
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2003, 01:05 PM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
I flew two packs' worth on my TM yesterday and have had the most fun ever with it. There was a flock of Canada Geese on my neighborhood flying field, and I shepherded them away with TM strafing attacks! It looked excellent out there, and I'm finally competent enough that my only crashes are on landing. I even managed some simple slalom runs between a couple of light poles.

Those Dubro foam wheels are tough! I ROG a lot and land on pavement, and almost never make a smooth into-the-wind landing, but the foam isn't even scuffed.

The sad thing is that I finally got my FrankenStick airborne just before then, and totalled it. I'd forgotten how much faster it was, and for a few minutes it was a blast. I was in a dive and I was just starting to give it some elevator when the front wing mount disintigrated and she nosed in hard. I think the karma of using a foam body from Guillow's Corp. with GWS flight surfaces finally caught up to me. R.I.P., Frankenstick, you crazy twitchy v-tailed bashed up thing!

Edit: Are there any Minnesotan Parkfliers? I'm kind of an anti-social guy, but it would be nice to hook up with some folks once Winter finally arrives and maybe fly indoors. I'm thinking I'm alone in the NW suburbs since the closest LHS is almost entirely RC Cars and slimers.
MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor
Last edited by MondoMor; Oct 06, 2003 at 01:10 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2003, 01:41 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
I haven't been on in a few days, I caught some weird bug (excuse the pun.) Seriously, I was 103.4 at one point, but I am almost as normal as I get now. Man, it took a long time to catch up! Good reading/pics!

For the wireless cam, I got mine at Bidokay's online Ebay store. http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=84357599 I have the 200 mw pinhole wireless system. It has great transmission, but is kind of picky about lighting. It is the cheapest system I have found, and it has worked great for me. I have made a few mods to make it lighter, which I could show you once you buy it (it is reallyyyy difficult to explain without holding the thing in your hand.) You have to hook it up to a camera with A/V input, so you may need Gene. Here is a pic I took with it, the poor quality is from my video camera's crappy capture option, conversion to Jpeg, and cropping/rotating. It will play on a medium-big screen TV without pixelation or anything else. No, I'm not Bidokay, but I thought I would pass this on since it took a few weeks to find. Although the 800 mw would give you better range, I have gone over 1000 feet without too many cutouts.

Still haven't started on that cowl... Maybe later today, though.

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Last edited by SkyPyro; Oct 06, 2003 at 01:44 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2003, 04:09 PM
Jack of all trades!
Rockford, MN
Joined Jul 2003
450 Posts
Does any one know where I could order some new tail feathers for my TM, My SS's speed control went up in smoke and at WOT and chopped up the TMs tail. I tried like poster board foam but taht seems way to heavy and big. I thought about meat trays but those seem to flimsy. Any other ideas??

TYIA

Chris
Scoobyvroom is online now Find More Posts by Scoobyvroom
Closed Thread